Black clips at 85 for Dolby Vision output only **SOLVED**

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

As promised (sort of!) here's a list of all HDR modes and their corresponding black clip level.

I tested this using the appropriate EDID (SDR/HDR/DV) and the appropriate Spears and Munsil Test pattern (SDR/HDR/DV).

I racked the black level up on my TV so I could see the Zidoo clip level rather than the display setup:

upload_2022-10-6_18-40-30.png
    I think I got all the modes - if anything's missing please let me know...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    vddan, dr4go, crutzulee and 1 other person like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Basically what this tells us is that if you want to watch DV content, watch it in HDR10.

The black clip in VS10 native, SDR>HDR and DV>HDR is pretty much spot on and when you convert DV to HDR10 using VS10 you're using the same HDR10 base layer as native DV (remember, no EL) and the RPU is used to modulate the HDR10 output in the same way it is with LLDV.

Get your head around that o_O:D:D:confused:

3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

What about native DV? I.e., source content is DV but VS10 is not engaged.

Edit: also VS10: HDR > DV

4. Markswift2003

VS10 is always used for DV, so VS10 native DV is native DV.

VS10 HDR > DV is the third up from the bottom (I just got the <> signs wrong :) ) corrected now...

AngryVirginian likes this.
  5. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Surely DV to HDR is almost what LLDV does anyway if it uses VS10?

6. mattmarsden

Is the white clip good in VS10 HDR mode?

7. Markswift2003

It's pretty much exactly what LLDV does...

8. Markswift2003

White clip is a tricky one to check because of tone mapping - easy with non-PQ sources, but with a PQ sources the tone mapping of the display comes into play.

9. PascalSW

PascalSW New Member

Hi Markswith2003... I am a little lost with these informations...
    According to the black clip problem and as I am actually still testing your idea to use an SDR EDID on Zidoo...
    Finally, what's the best configuration to use with an HDR projector (your opinion) : SDR EDID with VS10 for all content or BT2020 EDID with LLDV for all content ?

10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I believe Auto DV is Realtek Native DV and not VS10 DV. And certainly there's a very noticeable difference there between the two. VS10 on DV only setting puts out a much dimmer DV picture compared to one on Auto.
    Hope they fix this debacle asap!

11. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Sorry @Markswift2003 - these are work arounda. It's not Zidoo's problem to fix, but I understand why you are doing what you are doing.

It's Realtek's issue, so no need to defend - the current DV playback for most people with a DV display clips too hard, and you lose black detail , thats it.

But, as always, thanks for everything you do for the community.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Sekology likes this.
  12. mattmarsden

So any reason not to use VS10 to HDR for all content as I do now with LLDV?

13. crutzulee

crutzulee Member

Super confused.... where on the above chart do those of us outputting everything to LLDV fit? VS10(x)>DV?

14. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

Great research, thanks for this information. Is this issue only affecting VS10? If I leave HDR setting on Auto and play native DV, will I still have Black clipping?

15. mattmarsden

Yes native DV has black clipping.

Sekology likes this.
  16. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

@Markswift2003 - you may have already covered this Mark, so forgive me if you have. Is there a reason, that when using the appropriate custom edid (600MHz BT2020 HDR10+.bin) , and selecting use VS10 for DV content, the Vs10 engine does not kick in for all DV content? Some files play back with VS10 active, and others play back just using HDR10.

As an example, the Profile 8 Lake test plays as plain HDR10 and VS10 engine does not activate, or, have I lost the plot?

UPDATE - right, think I found a bug. If i set VS10 for ALL content, it works as it should on ALL DV files, and correctly handles the dynamic metadata on the Profile 8 Lake Test file, but VS10 does not kick in for all DV content if I just select use VS10 for DV content only.

UPDATE 2 - VS10 for all content - VS10>HDR for DV content looks like a hard clips at 76 ish

UPDATE 3 - well, this is screwy. If I select VS10 for HDR and DV only, I get the correct clipping at around 66 ish but it does not process the dynamic metadata from the Profile 8 Lake Test file, but with VS10 for all, it clips at 76 ish but it does process the dynamic metadata, ....tested back and forth to check it wasn't a glitch.

Should be easy for others to confirm or otherwise.

Test files used:

Profile 8 RPU Lake Test.mp4
    DV_Black_Clip_48-120_MS_[BL+RPU].mkv

I'm on the latest .36

If anyone wants the above test files, let me know and I'll upload and share, but they should be easy enough to find via a forum search.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  17. Markswift2003

No - There's no such thing as Realtek DV - the VS10 engine is what produces DV.

18. Markswift2003

Depends on the projector, the room, the calibration etc etc.

As I keep saying, trust your eyes. There is no "correct" way to do it, especially for projectors - try LLDV, HDR10 and SDR and see which you like the best using content you know well.

19. Markswift2003

Certainly no reason not to try it - it'll all depend on your setup - I'm currently using VS10 SDR for all content (I was previously using LLDV) on my projector, because although the clipping of PQ content is slightly worse than VS10 HDR, since it's PQ you'll never see it and my projector handles SDR better than HDR.

I'm still testing but it looks great and the reason I'm doing that is nothing to do with clipping, it's to do with my projector's PQ handling. The Jury's still out.

20. mattmarsden

I'm using VS10 HDR for all content - looking good so far, the black details have returned. With VS10 SDR I presume you lose 10bit and REC2020?