Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy New Member

In my opinion converting DSD to PCM loses information and is therefore not lossless. I have seen previous posts by you that suggest PCM replaces DSD. I think it augments DSD perhaps.

One of the most high faluting audio companies (Mobile Fidelity) has been using DSD masters for its new LP releases. So the people with golden ears agree that there is something special about DSD.

Anyway at least two models from this company or its sister company can do DSD over HDMI and I am hoping (based on published specifications) that the Z20Pro can do that also. So far most of your posts have referred to older models and frankly I think we need Zidoo to step in and clarify what the Z20Pro can or cannot do.

By the way, I have plenty of PCM conversions from DSD in my collection. They sound good, but simply aren't DSD. They are PCM. Debating the merits of DSD vs PCM is not the point here; I want DSD bitstreaming (over HDMI) and you might not.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I do like and prefer DSD. :D
    Excellent DAC's with femto clocks make the difference a lot smaller. Their improving effect on DSD is lower.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    originalsnuffy likes this.
  3. Jerzy

Jerzy New Member

I have a question for Zidoo users. I have a Zidoo Neo S which (after firmware update) is now a super streamer. Supported by Zidoo Conttoller. I'm curious how Zidoo Neo S fares in terms of streaming with EverSolo DMP-A6. Do they have the same dac which plays better?

4. Nice Monkey

Yes the builds are very similar. Don't have both and can't compare the actual sound directly myself. Expect both to sound close to identical.
    The Neo Alpha and Neo X are closer to the DAC-Z8 build (and Gold Edition of DMP-A6).

5. Grinch

Grinch New Member

I'm looking for some guidance or opinion on the following....

Owner of Zidoo UHD3000, Anthem AVM60 and Parasound P6. I am happy with the movie playback (Anthem via HDMI), but trying to determine the best combo for music. I use Roon with Tidal and local music (FLAC on Synology NAS)

Zidoo -> USB -> Parasound
    Zidoo -> RCA -> Anthem

1. Does the Zidoo UHD3000 eliminate the need for the Parasound?
    2. Zidoo/Anthem allows me to use Anthem ARC, but that will bypass the DAC in the Zidoo.
    3. Zidoo/Anthem allows me to go analog direct which sends an unprocessed signal with no ARC, but no bass management.
    4. Zidoo/Parasound allows me to utilize bass management.
    5. Do I still need the High End UHD3000 if I stick with the Parasound?

Appreciate all comments!

Thx,
    Grinch

6. Nice Monkey

Hello Grinch;
    Did not see the real details for the Parasound P6 pre-amp/DAC but is much more of a very flexible pre-amp than a real quality DAC.
    Also that DAC is Sabre based but without giving real details and missing things like an XMOS processor for USB input and HD BT DAC input.
    My educated guess the UHD 3000 has a better potential.

The Anthem is very good for MCH and HT Video reproduction in combination with UHD3000. It should also offer decent bass management. The UHD3000 is above all an excellent Video Media Player. If you use only the DAC it is a preference of sound using it or Parasound P6 (which UHD3000 should win)?

7. enry184

enry184 Member

Hello everybody. Can someone explain to me how to use UAPP on my zidoo UHD3000, without turning on the TV? Thanks to those who answer me.

8. ulysse31

ulysse31 New Member

Good morning,

I installed the Onkyo Hifi player application on the zidoo neo S.

I would like the Onkyo HIFI player program to use the zidoo neo s dac.
    I have a problem, a message appears on my TV screen asking me if I want the Onkyo application to use the zidoo xmos usb. Either, I can cancel or ok. When I get this message, if I choose neither of the two options or if I click on cancel I have sound but when I say "ok", the sound stops but the title moves forward.

I tried a multitude of dac and zidoo sound options but nothing happened. I manage to get some extra (posted by onkyo).

Anyone have an idea of the problem?

THANKS

9. enry184

enry184 Member

@Nice Monkey
    I have a UHD3000 and in addition to using it as a video player, I also use it as an audio source connected via USB to an external SMSL DO300 dac. I think that the UHD3000, qualitatively speaking, has nothing to envy of the Eversolo DMP-A6. It all works perfectly and plays natively DSD, PCM and Tidal Connect MQA files. My question is about Tidal Connect, in the SMSL DO300 display when I play an MQA song, the MQA logo dot is magenta and not green or blue. By installing UAPP the problem is solved and the dot of the MQA logo becomes green or blue. The problem is that when I listen to two channels I don't want to turn on the TV to use UAPP, a problem that could be solved by starting UAPP when I turn on the UHD3000 but the UPNP protocol does not start within UAPP even if it is enabled inside the application and I can't transmit, I have to turn on the TV and manually enable the UPNP protocol inside UAPP. Is there any other solution?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  10. Nice Monkey

Yes @rozel used a product for that. I think it was teamviewer or something. It is on this site somewhere.
    UAPP does not work with DMP-A6 as it does not support the Play Store which UAPP requires for license validation.
    But for streaming services DMP-A6 moved along miles ahead of Zidoo Neo players. Hope an update will come?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  11. Nice Monkey

Tried Onkyo Hifi player a very long time ago with my UHD3000 never with the later Neo models.
    It did find the DAC of UHD3000 as I recall.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ther-knowhow-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/
    Chapter 6

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  12. Nice Monkey

I have no need for UAPP or Onkyo HiFi anymore having also a DMP-A6 doing it all better and above all easier.
    It is a great combination with a video media player like UHD3000. I use it mostly with my Zidoo Neo X for movies.

13. skywalker1978

skywalker1978 Member

Hi. I am a total noob but I decided to switch from a Zidoo Z9S to Zidoo Neo S, which connected via HDMI to a Marantz SR6013. I use the Zidoo mostly for watching UHD movies (1:1 BluRay copies) with Dolby Atmos/ TrueHD audio. From time to time I also use Tidal for listening music. With regard to Tidal (I use Tidal Connect) I have a few questions:
    1. Is Tidal Connect better than installing a Tidal app on the Zidoo? In terms of audio quality.
    2. In the Audio Setting do I have to turn on DAC or keep it turned off?
    3. Tidal enables to listen to some music in Atmos. Will I be able to listen to those files in Atmos via Tidal Connect? Or should I use Tidal app installed on the Zidoo? Or it will not work at all?
    Thank you very much in advance for any answers.

14. enry184

enry184 Member

Hello everyone. I have the Zidoo UHD3000, as far as I'm concerned it's an exceptional machine. I also use it for listening to liquid music via an external DAC connected with a USB cable. Everything works perfectly, plays flac and DSD natively correctly, everything perfect. I only encountered one problem with Tidal Connect and that is that in the external DAC and in the MQA songs, the light is always magenta and not green or blue. The same also happens when I use the DLNA protocol with the Mconnect mobile application. Different if I use Roon, since the UHD3000 is Roon Ready. If I play Tidal via Roon Ready, in MQA songs the light in the external dac is green or blue. Is there a way to resolve this problem? I honestly don't want to pay Roon

15. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Good morning everyone, sorry for the question.
    I read part of the forum but I got lost, so I'm asking you.
    To use "HibyMusic just in Server mode on the Zidoo and HibyMusic in Client mode on a smartphone", i imagine and think that I have to install HiBy on both the Zidoo and the Android smartphone.
    I ask some of you for a quick guide on how to set up the Server side and the Client side?
    Thank You

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  16. enry184

enry184 Member

Why don't you use UAPP as both server and client? It works great and is also much nicer graphically than Hiby Music

17. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Thanks for the advice,
    but I understood that the UAPP requires a fee to get the full version.
    If I understand correctly, free has restrictions .
    I'm doing something wrong, my English is a bit so-so

18. enry184

enry184 Member

It costs very little and works very well. You pay it once and for life. If I were you, I would buy it

19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Agreed - and you ought to consider an air mouse too for easy navigation

20. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Why an air mouse? ( I have Google play on my Zidoo )
    But my need is to use the smartphone to browse the songs and use the Zidoo as a server, taking advantage of the USB output connected to the DAC. It's possible ?
    Which UAPP version do you recommend?
    Do I still have to install UAPP both on the Ziddo and also on the smartphone?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024