1.2.40_BETA/1.2.70_BETA for DMP-A6/DMP-A8 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by mirror, Dec 29, 2023.

1. pauldune

pauldune Member

@mirror , LMS still has the problem that music from Qobuz and possible all streaming services mostly don't display album art. (So: qobuz->lms->dmp-6). Local tracks are displayed correctly.
    Of course, if I play Qobuz music directly on the DMP, album art is correctly shown.
    If I stream the same Qobuz track to another lms streamer with screen, album art is correctly shown on its screen.

Florin likes this.
  2. fulong

fulong New Member

Probably a general thing, but I saw it yesterday at testing the new FW, which runs good for me ...

I tryed to use the USB-C input, to route music from my iPad to my DAC via the DMP-A6.
    At my former device, a Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, it was a feature, to route a USB input by the device with some "cleaning" of the signal and no need to fiddle around with the source to DAC cable (in my case, if I wanna connect the iPad, a complete change from the USB-A > USB-B to a USB-C > USB-B cable is needed).
    Is there any technical reason why it does not work to route USB-C source to the USB-DAC output?

3. Laz Arus

Laz Arus New Member

A quick feedback note on this update to the developers:

Yesterday I noticed there was an update from my existing v1.2.37_alpha ready to push across online so I went ahead and allowed it. Upon completion of the update, the display kept reverting to the home screen after a few seconds if I selected any of the other functions. This occurred when using the panel directly or through casting to my Android phone. I noticed there was an app update for the phone so installed that (v1.11.90).

The problem persisted so I tried manually reverting to v1.2.37_alpha but of course, the system objected because it doesn't allow installation of an earlier firmware ... grrrr!!:mad:

Removed the SSD in preparation for a factory reset, which thankfully worked, and I was back up and running again normally after a few initial settings entries. Reinserted the SSD and the system saw that and was happy.

So, for anyone reading this, doing a factory reset isn't as scary as I initially envisaged. Just take out the SSD as a precaution, and you'll be up and running again within 20 minutes or so.:)

4. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

No need to remove SSD.

A factory reset removes the ‘link’ to the SSD under ‘Library’, so a factory reset forces you to add the EverSoloMusic folder again and forces you to do a rescan of your music.

Any playlists will also need to be added again.

There is a backup (import/export) available but I haven’t tried that. Not sure which info is saved.

5. RolandG

RolandG Member

6. Bergholdt

Mirror mentioned that the Android menu on the right side of the screen would be changed, so that it allowed for the icons to ‘move out of the way’ in a coming update…

7. RolandG

RolandG Member

I know. That's why I quoted Mirror's post from the Apple Music Classical thread. The question is whether this fix still makes it into the recent beta.

8. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

RolandG likes this.
  9. Eric777

Eric777 Member

10. Screamie

Screamie New Member

Can someone explain to me the replay gain function? It seems it does not do anything at all with my setup. Is it like a volume normalization? Thanks

11. Bergholdt

It’s in the documentation. See the first post…

12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It should normalize the overall volume of the tracks in queue so that they are all at the same loudness. I think it has two modes: track and album: with track all the tracks are normalized among themselves as a whole (the weaker are emphasized, the louder smoothed out), with album is almost the same, but the tracks belonging to the same album are normalized in respect to the overall loudness of the album, so weaker tracks remain, among the playing queue, weaker, respecting their loudness regarding the other tracks of the album.

Now, all this is theory. To test it out for good you will need a loud album - Metallica's Death Magnetic should be good, as I believe is the loudest album ever released, and a very quiet one (or even better, one with some piano-forte tracks) such as Pink Floyd's The Wall. You can queue them both, shuffle them, and then experiment with the two modes of the replay gain.

Keep in mind that some tracks have replay-gain values embedded in their metadata (FLACs for sure allow this, but maybe also ALAC, WavPack, etc.) and in these cases I cannot predict what the overall result would be.

Also important, DSD files, for their nature may, or may not, be able to be normalized (that is: their volume could, or not, be changed, depending on the dac chip capabilities / volume implementation on the device).

HTH

Cheers, Al.

RoDa likes this.
  13. Screamie

Screamie New Member

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. I will try it out right away and test it with extreme examples.

14. Screamie

Screamie New Member

I have tried everything now, but replay gain doesn't seem to have any effect for me. The display of the dB in the first 5 seconds, as described in the documentation, also doesn't appear. I have tried all the settings with Amazon Music, the Internal Player with Flac, Mp3 and M4a files.

StevenVisser likes this.
  15. Bergholdt

I think it only works with a few streaming services and not local files… (my local files don’t seem to work with it even if documentation says it can).

I have turned mine off now but I saw it working with Qobuz.

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    zipe and Nutul like this.
  16. Bergholdt

ReplayGain shows up for a few seconds if you switch back to the ‘now playing’ screen even if it is not the first few seconds of the song.

IMG_0210.jpeg

17. Bergholdt

And I guess we can judge from my two examples that Jazz albums are much more realistically recorded than British Pop/Rock :D

Gorillaz obviously don’t think they are loud enough :)

I’m not paying for Tidal right now but I checked HIGHRESAUDIO and ReplayGain does not work on that service.

18. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

ReplayGain partially supports integrated services that already has their own Replay Gain function i.e. Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer.

For local files only non-DSDs are supported.

Of course all with internal player only.

Nutul likes this.
  19. Dr. Audio

Dr. Audio Member

Will ReplayGain work with Apple Music Sound Check (which doesn’t work so well). Should we turn it off and use ReplayGain instead or use both?

20. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I guess it would be better to use only one, to avoid double-boosting or double-flattening...

Dr. Audio likes this.