Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. andy22

andy22 Active Member

small update:
    ### 0.14.10
    • add support for "RTD1619BPD" based models (Z9X Pro...)
    • add AV1 for supported models
    • fix Zidoo API detection on new models
    This version mainly fixes some issues with the newer "RTD1619BPD" based models.

Android 11 models: https://github.com/Andy2244/jellyfi...4.10-zidoo_edition-Android11.beta-release.apk
    Android 6-9 models: https://github.com/Andy2244/jellyfi....10-zidoo_edition-Android6-9.beta-release.apk

There should be no need to update for the older Android 9 based models.

Announcement:
    So what happened? Basically "life", i got laid-off last year and at the end of the year we where also hit with the sudden loss of a family member.
    I got a new job and had to adjust, but now i'm out of the trial period, so money is not an issue anymore, but time is still hard to come-by.

So here is the current plan regarding the Jellyfin version:
    new "Lite" version:
    • i will merge all "essential" and easy to port Zidoo changes/features into a new "lite" version
    • this new "lite" version will always be based on the latest official version and its main goal is to easily merge/maintain changes, that upstream wont accept
    • i expect to carry over the Zidoo playback API, audio/transcode options, subtitle/audio logic
      • need to check if direct-path/playback is quickly doable with the new version, i think the server still send the paths
    • this means the "lite" version will most likely have none of the more complex Ui/Layout changes
      • need to evaluate, which of those might be accepted by upstream
    Next, i will try to "fix" my relationship with the upstream Jellyfin app dev's and see which of my UI/Layout and other changes/fixes have a chance to-be integrated into the official version.
    Based on the response/feedback i will evaluate if i want to also maintain a more "drifting" fork/version with the more complex changes. This makes only sense if my personal "must have" features wont be accepted into the official version.

That's basically it, so the main goal is to find a reasonable long-term way to maintain "good" functionality of the JF-client for Zidoo devices, while i can work this into my normal "life" schedule.
    So the new "Lite" version based on 0.15.x will be the main priority for now and than the slow process of getting more complex changes into the official app will follow, but i expect this to be a rather slow process.

PS: So thanks again for all your past feedback/suggestions and sorry that i had to take a hard break.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Edworld, boxerfan, Nathan W and 10 others like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Andy, it's great to see you back again, really hope all is well with you now, Mark.

Hippoponderous likes this.
  3. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Wish you all the best mate! Very glad to see you back here :)

Hippoponderous likes this.
  4. Zaudio

Zaudio Member

Thanks for all the fantastic work and your time that you put into this. Truly appreciated!
    FTW direct path is an essential in my setup as my weaker JF server chokes the stream randomly. Your direct path solution works flawlessly.

5. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Mate, is great to have you back.

While it's nice to know work on your fork will continue, it's more of a relief to know that you're ok.

We were aware that you were dealing with life issues, but when someone's online presence disappears as unexpectedly and abruptly as yours did, it's easy to assume the worst (not trying to guilt you).

For those of us who have given up on Zidoo's HT4, we really appreciate your contribution and efforts. :)

6. Enet

Enet Active Member

Welcome back @andy22. I had started to use ht4 again but not being able to look at my library offline or be able to mark multiple files as watched is annoying. I mainly use Plex but for Zidoo I prefer this. Can't wait for the "Lite" version :)

7. Six66Mike

Six66Mike Member

Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are there no love heart emojis... I want to fill the page with them!! I think I just peed my pants a little bit.

8. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Great to see you back Andy, still using your Jellyfin version every day.

Six66Mike likes this.
  9. I just recently went back to the OG Andy version, so great to hear life has stabilized and we'll see some new developments. I am very appreciative and wish you all the best!

I recently posted an issue here and then on the Jellyfin Android github about the sorting issue I found. Turns out its not resolvable on the app side and is a server issue for anyone that has "Grouped Libraries" (One library pointing to more than one folder location). Based on the discussions there, it's been known for well over a year, so a fix anytime soon is not likely, and maybe never. I'd thought it was working fine on my Nvidia Shield, but turns out I was wrong and it happens there too. The only workaround is to sort your library "Horizontally" instead of Vertically, for some reason it works just fine doing that, or not have grouped libraries (not an option for me).

@andy22 I'm curious if you think your newer lite version will be susceptible to that same issue I start discussing in post 612? Your previous version that I'm using currently works fine for sorting.

10. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Have to review the exact case/code, but in general sorting in a lot of cases is bugged or has weird defaults and yes the server sends the wrong sorting order. I do a resort on the client in those cases, that's why it works in my version.
    The main issue was, that it was annoying to "convince" the upstream dev to add those kinds of quick "hacks", since ideally they should be fixed on the server. In reality i don't have time to also learn the server and fix things there, especially if i already have a working "hack" that works "good enough" on the client.

So yes i will add those hacks again in the new lite version, since i also personally rely on them, i still daily drive my version.
    Maybe if i "cleanup" the hack a bit, upstream is willing to include it, given that it is a longstanding issue.

Six66Mike likes this.
  11. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Not sure if I’m missing it but is there a way to search by genre?

12. Markswift2003

Don't think you can search by genre, but the Genre view would probably be faster.

Six66Mike likes this.
  13. Thanks for the reply and your efforts on this btw!

Since yours worked fine for sorting and the Android TV app didn't, I was stuck on that app being the problem, but after learning this is a long standing issue on the server side without a fix, like you say, I'm not optimistic about that being fixed where it needs to be anytime soon.

I'm more than happy if you're able to hack it to make it work in the new lite version. I much prefer the vertical view to the horizontal and can't run with anything but "Joined" libraries because of my setup. I'd moved to the recent android app for a bit, but yours is again my primary app, so I look forward to what you put out. Also cool to hear it's your daily driver, I wondered if this was just a favor for everyone else or if you enjoyed the fruits of your labor too.

I see the comment below yours asking about genre sorting. Any chance we'll see additional sorting options included in the lite version? They aren't in the official android version either, so I assume not. Being able to sort by duration on desktop is something I use often to pick a movie to make sure I'm picking from a pool of options that still gets me to bed in time lol.

14. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Depends, if its easy to-do i can add more sorting options. I already added some extra options that are from the Webclient, which are missing in the official tv app.

So in the case of genre, this makes no sense as sorting option, this should rather be a filter. The complication is that this will need a new widget-list that can handle the genres as multi-selection list.
    Most users probably also want a default A...Z sidebar jump-list widget, like the webclient has.

PS: If i had more time again, i would probably start fully redesigning the layout, since HT4/Plex/Emby have some very nice + fast layouts, we could pull inspirations from.

Purple and martinstraka8282 like this.
  15. That's fair, only so much time and effort to put in, and you've already added in a lot of extras. The A-Z is definitely one most would want, I agree, but it is what it is if it's not realistic. I guess it depends somewhat on library size how much you care about sorting and filtering, but at 3500+ movies and a whole heck of a lot more content, any options are appreciated. I see what you mean with needing a whole new widget list though, since the sorting and filtering options are separated in the web interface, and that's how Emby and Plex is setup as well. The Android App doesn't offer that either, so not the end of the world.

I guess if I'm making a shameless plug for a personally requested "Duration" option, iirc that is one that's in the sorting options in the web interface, but I could be wrong and thinking of Plex.

16. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Yeah best case is ofc a option/fix i personally get annoyed by... yet i don't own a 40TB NAS setup like @Markswift2003 ... i basically use my "Eye Patch" services to "get" my stuff and cleanup if my 8TB gets full :p
    The funny part is now that money is not even a issue anymore, but having to juggle Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/HBO+ and Crunchyroll/Hidive would be a shitshow.... not to mention that via JF all gets neatly scrobbled to Trakt + AniList...

my top personal list looks like this:
    1) re-investigate the "seek + transcode" issues, mainly because anime movies use "weird" multichannel audio formats, so i get the occasionally transcode
    2) intro-skipper plugin, would love to have this working....
    3) VS10 disabled, specifically for Anime... i like it on normal SDR
    4) mimic the HT4 details/badge layout for codec/fps ....
    5) with unlimited time.... get a spatial audio plugin working, since 90% of the time i use headphones

Frostb!te and martinstraka8282 like this.
  17. Markswift2003

80TB really because it's mirrored :D

martinstraka8282 likes this.
  18. Haha that's fair, I'm also a scallywag of the high seas and agree with your feelings about juggling a million different services, even though we do subscribe to some, but I'm OCD about keeping most of my content and in fully uncompressed quality, so I went hard with a 166TB NAS that's mostly full now and dual back up redundancy (single if ripped from disc) to hopefully carry me the next decade or so. I also was a collector and ripped 1000's of discs with makemkv.

I look forward to this new lite version. Looks like you've got lots of ideas for what you'd like to include. Can't wait!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  19. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Crikey! You could start your own streaming service! Mart-Flix?

martinstraka8282 likes this.
  20. andy22

andy22 Active Member

ofc you need to keep those 90's homevideos safe!

PS: mirror raid in 2023 is the ultimate flex!

Markswift2003 likes this.