Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Chrrs

Chrrs New Member

Zidoo Z9X Pro. Jellyfin client 0.15.12 with server 10.8.10.

When I set my player to "external app", I just get a "Cannot play this video format error". If I switch my player to exoplayer it plays fine. Tried various .mkv files. They all play fine with exoplayer and with HT 4.0.

I had PlextoZidoo installed, and uninstalled it as mentioned earlier on this page, but still the same error even after restarting the app.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Edit: When selecting 'external app' in Jellyfin, am I supposed to get a pop up to select a player? Right now nothing pops up.

2. IamSpectre

IamSpectre New Member

If you uninstall anything with a player it will only leave HT 4 player. If that doesn't work uninstall Jellyfin and then reinstall it and the option to chose player should return.

3. I got my Z9X Pro now , will this app work on Z9X. Pro too ?

4. Well i install the 0.15 version , but external player does not play, it just says cant play file, but exoplayer of app is playing everything

5. techos

techos Member

With your z9x pro are you able to play files in Jellyfin using the zidoo external player? So things like dolby vison al work?

Same issue as others for me, just get an error immediately if I select to use external player.

Edit; Also which firmware please?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  6. techos

techos Member

Can I just confirm, all of you people who have this official jellyfin client playing back using the external Zidoo player, do ANY of you use it on a z9x pro?

I have just wiped my z9x pro, back to the 1.0.52_G firmware.

Installed only jellyfin from the play store, went to settings and set to prefer external app, cannot play video error on everything.
    Tried to change to always choose, there is:

Automatically choose
    ExePlayer
    LibVLC
    External App
    Always ask

No sign of "gallery" as @Markswift2003 mentioned above.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Works perfectly - but remember, does not support BD menu so use MKV.

upload_2023-10-15_11-18-8.png

upload_2023-10-15_11-18-49.png

8. techos

techos Member

then I have no idea what’s causing issues here. I can select the same settings but every file gives an error.

do I need anything specific set in jellyfin server or client?

All mkv files.

Are you using the Google firmware or standard?

9. Markswift2003

I used to use Andy's port of Jellyfin but decided to switch to the standard version a while back. Don't have anything specific set, just the player, and I'm currently using Jellyfin Server v10.8.10, client v0.15.11

To be fair, Andy's version, despite being abandonware, still works great and has more visual options and the Zidoo player integrates better.

I never use the G firmware but can't see why that would make a difference.

Do you have anything else installed that could hook the player? Plex maybe?

Six66Mike likes this.
  10. techos

techos Member

Nothing else installed. I tried deleting everything else, didn’t work: so to be safe I done a factory reset and installed only the jellyfin client.

It’s the same behaviour if I try emby and select to use an external player.

Doesn’t make any sense, has me baffled.

11. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

12. techos

techos Member

13. techos

techos Member

Unfortunately that didn't work either.

Had to remove the official client and install Andy's version. Setup the paths and I can access them ok when testing (SMB) but not working on the device.

Probably as SMB is less than stable on this?

What is confusing tho, is how it works for people like @Markswift2003 without any mods?!

I give up, way too much hassle to get this box to play nicely :(

14. Markswift2003

No - there's a reported issue of accessing shares on the SAMBA server on the device from external clients but not the other way around (although I've not managed to replicate it).

But I'd have to say there's something awry with the server if Andy's version doesn't work because that accesses the player through the official API.

15. techos

techos Member

not sure what could be up with the server, unless it needs configuring a certain way, but I think you said above it didn’t.

I can access it external, I can access internal, just not won’t work with the Zidoo player.

16. Markswift2003

Not sure either, but it's all I can think - as I say I didn't have to jump through any hoops setting it up which you sort of have to do with Andy's using Direct Path.

My shares look like this - I didn't even use IP addresses which is unusual for me:

upload_2023-10-15_20-38-2.png

17. techos

techos Member

I wonder if it’s something to do with how my media is stored. It’s cloud based mapped on a local server using rclone and mergerfs.
    I’ll copy some test files into a standard folder on the server and map that as a share in jellyfin.

Will try in the AM and report back!

18. Markswift2003

Quite possibly.

19. techos

techos Member

Quick update, setup a new share which was a single folder which was 100% local to the server, added it to the smb conf (without credentials this time as I was in a rush..) and it worked with Andy's version (with the path sub in)

So next thing I will try is to see if the others play, as I stupidly made two changes at once, so it could be the authentication that helped. then will try on the official client as well.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

Great - that's good info for others.