Beta version v1.0.52 for Z9X Pro/Z20 Pro/Z2000 Pro/Z2600/UHD5000 release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Todd Z

Todd Z New Member

I have yet to get 3D to work on my UHD 5000 and the occasional stutter or frame drop with some files, especially seamlessly branched blu rays, these same files play smoothly
    from my Zappiti and Plex on Shield pro, on the same network or locally connected.A firmware update is certainly much needed for some basic functions.

2. Paul10mmring

Paul10mmring Member

So we are just about to turn in to November Still are boxes are as buggy as hell.
    How long does it take to sort out this firmware????? Looks like Zidoo does not care about the product, You released these boxes with all these problems and have done nothing!!! Like a lot of others that's it for me all 3 of mine will be going on ebay not willing to be your R&D anymore, your future will be very limited if you don't deal with customers complaining

Venmaster, USA and Pete B like this.
  3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

If you have a Z20 Pro i might be up for a purchase as im local to you .
    P.m.

4. USA

USA Member

I just wrote to my seller to see if he will take my UHD5000 back and refund the purchase price.
    Unfortunately, I am also at the end of my patience. It makes no sense to leave an unusable device standing around. The warranty expires step by step for nothing.

Actually, I wanted to buy an Eversolo or NEO α later. But with the previous UHD5000 experiences, that would probably be a stupid idea.

Pete B, Venmaster and Tarantula like this.
  5. techos

techos Member

Another one for me today. Watching Plex and the screen started flashing like mad! Eventually had to press the power to turn it off. Turned back on, tiny screen in the top of my tv. Had to unplug power and that sorted it.

this box is testing my patience!

Pete B and Venmaster like this.
  6. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

I can confirm I had difficulties too with my Zidoo seller and that Paypal have now stepped in to force a return after an RMA was denied.

I would urge others having the same issue to open a paypal case if you used paypal and if not then contact your bank or your credit card vendor visa or MasterCard etc.

Furthermore, I also have a close friend who purchased a Zidoo around the same time I did and though they're never that active online when it comes to forums etc they have tried to sign up here to voice their problems with the hardware, but they have not been able too because their account does not get verified, so it seems account here over the last month since complaints have intensified are also being cherry-picked?

So all I can say is best of luck to those genuine* members here waiting for a fix or trying to RMA a clearly defective product.

And once you all eventually receive your refunds, just remember that the brand you bought and was let down by clearly seems to be just a different side of the same coin operating under different names.

7. imeDB

imeDB New Member

hi everyone,

since no more than 2 weeks I got my first Zidoo device, a Z9X Pro
    coming from a linux media player, I was at least skeptical about an Android player
    after few weeks of thinking I decided to get it for a test, and so far I can tell I am quite happy about it
    here are my personal findings about this device running the latest firmware available, Beta version v1.0.52
    if it matters, I did not use the included HDMI cable

pros
    • it worked ok with almost every video format tested (from 1080i to 2160p, SDR, HLG, HDR10, HDR10+ or DV, 23.976, 24, 25, 50i, 60i, 29.97, etc) - the only exception was a H.263 sample - it did not play at all
    • jellyfish video test is fine until 300mbps
    • ok on every audio format tested (Auto/bitstreaming)
    • it has a smart way to define and scan sources
    • mobile controller app - not great, but useful sometimes
    • nice touch buttons on the backlit remote control
    • full compatibility with Logitech Harmony (Z9X) - does anyone know, is it possible to switch it from IR to BT?
    • it accepts external subtitles for ISO

cons
    • poor BD menus support
    • separate subtitle settings (with ups and downs, anyway)
    • Stroke effect for text subtitles fails on HDR10 or DV and maybe in HDR10+ too
    • teletext subtitles are not detected in DVB .TS recordings
    • language name missing/not detected in language selection for DVB .TS recordings most of the times
    • sometimes the screensaver does not cover the subtitles (a warning to OLED TV owners!)
    • pause from OK button is different than pause from Play/Pause button (the first with info and logo, the second one without)
    • no matter which one is used, sometimes it goes by itself to play/unpause after awhile, but I could not find a pattern
    • non-removable WiFI/BT antennas

nice to have
    • a filter for duplicates/different versions - it would help for wrong matched files
    • a way to export the DB as table (txt, csv, dbf, etc)

I can understand that everyone is keen for an update to fix one thing or another, but I really hope the upcoming version will not break any of the good things we already have

cheers!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  8. dropzone7

dropzone7 New Member

You just described most the problems I'm having with my Z9X Pro. I also have a JVC RS3100 (NZ8) and similar processor (Anthem AVM70-8K). The resolution changes all the time and sometimes uses incorrect colorspace and SDR rather than HDR, pretty frustrating. I have tried the custom EDID and no combination of settings I have tried solves this problem. Every time I think it's fixed it happens again, usually upon startup.

I have read a few people mention there being a "resolution" button on the remote. Is this correct? Where is it?

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've had a Z9X Pro since before they were released and although there is a list as long as my arm of fixes that need to be made, other than a known bug where discrete HDR modes return to Auto when using a Custom EDID, I've seen no issues with resolution, colour space or HDR modes acting up.

Can you be more specific and provide a way to replicate the issue?

The resolution button is this one on the new remotes (it's labelled "Resolution" on older ones):

upload_2023-10-25_15-58-56.png

It's only really useful when your Zidoo is outputting an HDMI mode the display doesn't support - for example using a 600MHz EDID on a 300MHz display.

dr4go and dropzone7 like this.
  10. dropzone7

dropzone7 New Member

Thanks for that information!

It's very hit or miss. I have started making a habit of turning the projector and processor on first and the Zidoo last. Even then it sometimes reports resolution as 1080p at the projector and usually SDR.

I had no idea until a few days ago that there were additional settings under "Other" and Advanced Settings I think it is (don't remember the path off the top right now) but getting in here looks just like the Android settings I'm used to seeing in my Nvidia Shield. I can go in there and change the resolution back to AUTO and everything syncs back up to 4K.

I abandoned the HDMI cable that came with the Zidoo as I had read some people having problems with it. Tried several different cables of various lengths and brand.

It's a shame because I really like this player otherwise and the Home Theater GUI is very close to what I have been looking for forever.

I have been very hesitant to invest crazy money in a Kaleidescape system but the set it and forget it nature of that system is starting to look very appealing.

10 or 15 years ago I was buying every new media player that came out even just to test them or in the hopes of getting a new feature or hack. It was fun back then and I expected to have to experiment.

Now, I'm getting older and just want crap to work. My wife has little patience for this stuff as it is so...

11. Markswift2003

Ok, so what settings in terms of Resolution and HDR mode do you want the Z9X Pro to boot up into?

12. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

The problems you are describing seem to be about a reseller and not Zidoo? Where did you buy your Zidoo? I always use Futeko.com. They are excellent with communication and when you have issues. I bricked a device trying to role back a firmware and they replaced it without issue.

13. dropzone7

dropzone7 New Member

I would prefer that it start up in 4K HDR with frame rate locked at 24p since I'm only playing movie files, mostly 4K BluRay MKV's.

I'm fine with AUTO for HDR as long as it actually works and doesn't give me the crazy neon colors on the GUI.

14. Markswift2003

The only way to get it to start in HDR is to set HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (Output HDR)"

This will output all content in HDR, upscaling SDR to HDR using VS10 and converting Dolby Vision where necessary.

Also, you don't want 24p, you want 23p (23.976fps or 24000/1001 to be exact) because that's what the vast majority of content is presented in - very little content is true 24Hz.

There's always been a bug with JVC projectors, and I assume it's the same with the latest, in that 23.976 and 24Hz both report as 24Hz, so that leads to confusion.

So for the above, this is how I'd set it:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Match frame rate only

Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz (Lock Resolution <On>)

Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Deep Colour compatibility mode: Turn Off
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Signal format: Enhanced format

Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (Output HDR)

Once set like that I can't see a reason for anything to change unless sink EDIDs change for some reason. But with switching the amp and PJ on first, that shouldn't happen.

If, as a wild example, a 1080p SDR EDID was present on boot, then settings would revert to
    Resolution: Auto(1080p 60Hz) and HDR: Auto, but it would be in SDR because of the EDID and because presumably the PJ was set to a BT.2020 colour profile, colours would be very blown out and exaggerated.

dropzone7 likes this.
  15. dropzone7

dropzone7 New Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I had noticed that setting HDR to Dolby Vision VS10 Output HDR seemed to make everything look more consistent. It would just all change when I started up again next time.

I will try all of these setting again and see what happens. Thanks!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  16. Laseriano

Laseriano New Member

Hello,
    I have the same problem with my zidoo UHD 5000, I configure it as you say Marrk, the difference is that I set it to Auto, not Vs10 HDR, and it works correctly, but when I turn it off and turn it back on, it returns to 1080 resolution and another error occurs. What I am having is that it cannot be heard with Dolby digital 5.1 audio.

17. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

The lack of a new firmware since July, especially as the current one is riddled with bugs, is getting to be a little alarming! @Markswift2003 - any word on the street!

Phil1975m, dr4go and xskip like this.
  18. techos

techos Member

It's all ok according to some retailers. No issues, they don't know what we are concerned about.

19. Markswift2003

It was supposed to be this week but although they've managed to quash most issues, they had some instability issues that were a little harder to iron out at the end of the week.

I'm told next week now. They certainly know how important this is...

20. Markswift2003

To be absolutely fair I have a bug list as long as my arm, but nothing that stops me actually using the box and watching movies.

swinskyi, dr4go, sandyj and 3 others like this.