Crowdsourcing translation project for ZIDOO Media player need your help[22 Mar test version update]

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Apr 17, 2021.

1. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

The language files are the lastest version. Don't worry. In addition, we will release the test version at an appropriate time, so that you can confirm whether there are errors in the translation.

Whitfield likes this.
  2. runels

runels New Member

And when will be add another files to translate....?

3. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

@Mabon
    Interesting to know which are better "Confirm YOU WANT TO disband the collection?" or "Confirm YOU WANT TO remove the collection?" ?
    Click on blue word to see dictionary.cambridge.org definition or any others like split, separate, pull out synonyms of disband vs remove.
    I suggest to try use phrases which are easy to understand also by non native English speaker and careful with additions words maybe are not space to be displayed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@Whitfield
    I will crosscheck the Dutch for you. :)
    The original Dutch (X9S) comes from me ages ago. ;)

Please English check Open/Close as it if often used for On/Off.
    The original English clearly comes from Chinese => English automated translations. Uncommon words like disband may then pop-up please avoid them even when grammar wise correct.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I changed it to read better but left 'disband' as it's always been there. But to be entirely clear I would go with 'Confirm you want to remove this collection"

Mabon likes this.
  6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Thanks! Appreciated :)

Phrases should relate to meaning/function. That's why understanding the when & where of a phrase is important to its proper representation. Obviously this goes hand-in-hand with the translations too.
    Also, real-life checking what a confirmation or flipping a switch would actually do.

Mind that - at least - English (US) has some flaws that are confusing or even misleading.
    For example, take a look at the "Downmix HD Audio Output" switch. I'm having trouble with that phrase. AFAIK enabling that switch just plays the dts core of a DTS-HD track, nothing else. The Zidoo (my Z9X, at least) does no downmixing at all.
    So, for Dutch translation, I took the liberty to ignore the original explanation of the switch and put in a string that accords to the real-life behaviour of the machine.

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Everybody's good intentions aside, with two or more people working on the same translations, I can imagine people unintentionally getting in each other's way. Maybe it's a good idea to start a thread for a specific translation language, so that people - not only translators - can convene?

Mabon likes this.
  8. Nice Monkey

May I suggest to just go ahead and bring out a first FW version. Then create that specific "language comments topic per individual language". There everybody can give comments and suggestions on the actual live content. The original translator is then to judge for final application of suggested changes. ;)

Mabon likes this.
  9. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Can you tell me what exactly "bring out a first FW version" means and how I would do this?

10. Nice Monkey

It is up to Zidoo to actually do that and already promised by @mirror

11. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

12. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

A good point here. I will change my translation to only talk about DTS-HD.

13. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

This may sound stupid, but am I correct when assuming that the two current translations projects are for RTD1619 based models only?

14. Nice Monkey

I think these will be ported back to FW for previous models by Zidoo.

Mabon likes this.
  15. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

The translations are part of the apks like HT4 so it's not related to the soc or firmware.

Mabon likes this.
  16. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

So the "Quick Settings" menu should also be considered as apk?

17. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

zidoo_quick_settings_x.x.x.apk

18. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Clear. Thanks for explaining, McBluna

19. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Being busy with English --> Dutch translation (my Chinese isn't what it used to be), I want to ask some things about currently used phrases. It would be convenient to have a thread about the English GUI.

Does some of you English translators have plans already to create one? If not I'll be happy to do so. Not wanting to jump the que, it seemed polite to ask first.

20. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Have the new translations been added to the latest firmware? Because I don’t see anything new for the french translation in HT and Quick Settings, even after a factory reset.

Is it the same for the other languages?