ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes - HDMI Range works perfectly.

Still issues with black floor in VS10 HDR and SDR modes, and white clip in some SDR modes though

Dan likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

ZIDOO Z9X

3. Dan

Dan Member

is recommendation now to set back to auto if HDR is set to auto?

4. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

I did restore factory and now ı signed youtube

5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

As I have a HDR10 TV I should keep my HDR setting as Auto and HDMI Range to 16-235?

There is a new setting called Colour depth compatibility mode. I've turned it on - not sure if I need to though!

6. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard with the Z9X. Can anyone point me to the documentation of hotkeys/shortcuts?

For example, through trial and error, during video playback, the following are hotkeys available:
    d - download subtitle
    t - select audio track
    l - select subtitle track
    x - stop playing

7. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

8. Markswift2003

Either way works fine - I still stick at 16-235 because that's what the content is, but auto works perfectly too.

9. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

What SDR modes have white clip?

10. Markswift2003

Personally I'd stay at 16-235 as a belt and braces approach, but auto works fine.

Colour depth compatibility forces High Colour in 4K60 modes if the EDID doesn't specify. Not really sure why they've included that, it shouldn't be needed, so I'd leave that off.

11. Markswift2003

Realtek HDR to SDR has a black clip of around 77 (should be 64) and a white clip of 765 (should be 940) but to be fair, the Realtek implementation is pretty awful anyway - it messes up the 2020 > 709 conversion with posterisation so is a non starter anyway.

VS10 SDR (accessible either using an HDFury device or with a TV that supports SDR only) clips at 64 and 940 BUT it's incredibly washed out - I'm not sure what the issue is, but it looks to me as though the black floor is raised, so although clipping patterns show clipping at the right points, the whole level seems raised so it looks grey and lifeless.

The same issue is prevalent with VS10 HDR to a slightly lesser degree and VS10 LLDV to an even lesser degree.

Back in the day we'd refer to this as a raised pedestal.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  12. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

From my review you can read that I can't confirm this. Used a 5 years old Philips 55PFS8209 LCD TV for this test (my bedroom TV now).

PQ with 4K HDR => SDR viewed on a Full HD (1080P) TV

This used to be thus far the weakest aspect of the Realtek SOC's. Watched a few movies this way and I must say with a nice PQ. Used the VS10 engine as it gave me a better PQ than with standard SOC conversion, which was not that bad either. :)

13. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

So if we have a SDR panel (or projector) and we want/have to see an HDR/4K file what should we do?

14. Nice Monkey

Set HDR to VS10 and watch it downscaled.

leonkoum likes this.
  15. Genadi

Genadi Member

is it possible to play hdr (vp9.2) on YouTube with z9x

16. Markswift2003

If your display will support SDR.2020, at the moment "SDR Rec.2020 Limited" is probably the best bet. Black and White clip are perfect as is the black floor. This mode obviously doesn't have the colour conversion that causes posterisation in "SDR Rec.709 Limited" and the gamma conversion isn't bad at all.

Ideally you'd want to use VS10 SDR which you get if you choose "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine" with an SDR EDID or SDR display because the Dolby conversion from both HDR and DV to SDR is excellent, but unfortunately, as I say, although Black and White Clip are correct in that mode, the entire black floor is raised a great deal.

This can be seen with very easily with a black clip pattern (I use Masciolla) and is mind blowingly apparent on a projector!! The result with real world footage is a dull lifeless image.

So, for the moment until VS10 is fixed, if your display won't support SDR2020, you're stuck with "SDR Rec.709 Limited" I'm afraid.

leonkoum likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

I honestly hate to contradict you, but I've spent a lot of time testing this over the last few weeks trying to get it nailed.

The VS10 engine is great in its handling of DV, HDR and SDR files to convert to one format, but levels are still out.

You can see the effect just in the setup menu on a TV switching from any other mode to VS10 but the change is most pronounced going from "SDR Rec.709 Limited" into VS10.

With test patterns, as I say, particularly on a projector, the black floor (video level 64) is too high.

With previous firmware, this was far more pronounced in VS10 SDR, next worst was VS10 HDR and in all honesty I hadn't seen it in VS10 LLDV until v6.0.30.

I'm running v6.0.31 at the moment and now I would say VS10 SDR and VS10 HDR are on a par. In order to mitigate it, you have to adjust <Picture Parameter\Brightness> from the default of 32 down to 28 or 27 in both modes.

For VS10 LLDV, the effect is much less pronounced, but you still have to knock <Picture Parameter\Brightness> down to 30 or 31.

Doesn't sound a lot, but it makes a big difference to the image.

The problem with knocking the brightness down is that you then crush black, although arguably that's better than black being grey.

18. Markswift2003

@leonkoum - just to go back to your question and bearing in mind my post above, you may want to try VS10 SDR and knock <Picture Parameter/Brightness> down to 27 or 28.

You'll need to do it in both the main settings (<Quick Settings/Display/Picture Parameter/Brightness>) and also playback settings while content is playing (<Menu/Advanced/HDR to SDR/Picture Parameter/Brighness) because one affects just the GUI and the other, playback.

leonkoum likes this.
  19. Nice Monkey

@Markswift2003
    When do you plan to visit my home to calibrate my modest setup? :p

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

You know what, I've always been one to shun the calibration madness - I much prefer to watch movies than test patterns, but I've squinted at so many test patterns over the last few weeks it's been driving me mad. In fact my wife is convinced I've completely lost the plot.

This box is so close to being great - I'm not sure what state yours was in when you got it, but the very first comment from our little group was that it feels like an Alpha release. so much has been fixed since then and it's really coming together now with just a few little niggles left and then hopefully we can move away from bugs and onto improvements.

That's if the techs don't get fed up of us ;)