Z9X Pro crashing on MKV files.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Ray Nist, Apr 18, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The only thing I can think is the network card in your PC - I have had various PCs on my network over the years and whilst it's always been a gigabit network, actual transfer speed very much depends on the performance of the kit hanging off the end of it.

I'll usually get 60-80MB/s transfer from PCs which isn't bad (B not b) but with some older PCs that has been dramatically lower, even if the the LAN card is supposedly gigabit.

Unclejoshc likes this.
  2. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Thanks for the troubleshooting help. Unfortunately a new PC is not in the cards. Just bugs me that I USED to get those speeds all the time, then it just dropped and I cannot figure out why. I guess the PC is the only thing left but that is not an option so I will just deal.

3. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

My inbuilt lan port slowed down lots after many years of overuse :p

i had to get a pci Lan card to fix the issue

Thou you are still getting near max speed when downloading from the internet ,correct ? which would throw that idea

4. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Yeah full speeds when downloading or using Internet speed test. Just the transfer speed is slow. Went from 80 MBps a few years ago to the current 15 MBps. Changing cables did not work, I have a different router than I did when the speeds originally dropped so that rules out router, and I even hooked my laptop up and got the same speeds. Maybe it is some Windows settings I don't know about although i have tried to use so many online fixes to improve SMB speed and nothing has helped.

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

did you try the dslspeedtest i suggested from the browser in Zidoo pro box ,just to see if its effecting speed for everything on the box ie mine gets my max 300/100 M fibre speeds , or whether the issue is smb transfer speeds only ?

6. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

It's 100MB/s (8 bits to a byte).

Unclejoshc likes this.
  7. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Ok so using speedtest app on the box I got 536 mbps down, 24.4 up. Using speed test site from browser I got 442 mbps down, 22.3 up.

8. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Im getting 329Mbps down /78Mbps up from my PC , and 332Mbps down from my Z9X Pro browser ......which are equivalent to my max 300/100 fibre

was yours mbps or MBps ie 536mbps is like 67MB/s ,which means you should be hitting way more than the 10-12 MB/s your getting ,but does sort of prove your Zidooa giga port is ok

What other things are also running over your lan network ?
    ie i have 2 4k ipcams running on mine for security ,so i know theyre eating a good chunk of my Giga lan speeds
    Things will also slow right down if im doing a 4k movie download on jdlownloader on the PC ,which will drop my transfer speeds over to my Zidoo HDDs a lot

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  9. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

mbps on the speed tests. Windows shows transfer speeds as MB/s but there was no option to use that formatting for the speed tests.

I knew the port on the Zidoo isnt the issue because I get the same speeds transferring files to my Q10 box using the same network. Similar internet speed test results as well, I even used the same new CAT 8 (lol) cable to each box, then used a different CAT 7 cable and router port to boxes and all results are roughly the same.

10. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

could the internal hdd your transfering files to ,on the Zidoo be a slow one ,thus slowing down transfer speeds ?
    is it an hdd or an ssd too ? someone the other day was crashing playing mkvs because they were all stored on an SSd which had been formatted by a Mac

you can test that by using a usb 3 HDD in one of the side usb3 ports and check transfer speeds to that ,rather than the internal drive

Also found this article for pc smb settings ,thou you disproved that by swapping to a mac with same results ?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/slow-smb-file-transfer

11. Faceman2k24

If you are willing and able i'd like to see openspeedtest, the server hosted on your main PC and accessed on the Zidoo (via a web browser) to check the throughput of the LAN routing.

12. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

I have tried multiple internal HDD and also using external drives using USB3 plus transferring small files direct to the box internal memory with no drives installed and I get basically the same speeds. No faster than 15 MB/s.

I dont own any Apple products so no mac. I meant a Windows 10 laptop.

I have a SSD in my PC that I use to download files or rip files from initially. I have tried streaming from the PC to both my Q10 and my Z2000 Pro and I get similar results. Not watchable for any 4K content as it stutters or is slow if it plays at all. Anything 1080p streams fine. Transfers from the SSD to either box using ethernet cables direct from my router have the 15 MB/s speed at best. This is for all HDD both internal and external and the onboard memory which I assume is flash on both boxes.

Just to rule out the SSD, I have also attempted the transfers from one of my internal PC hard drives as well and no improvement.

I looked at that link but most of it is above my knowledge. I did enable the large MTU and disable the bandwidth throttling using the PowerShell command but still the same. Pretty sure I tried that before.

13. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Willing but not sure I am able. I am not sure how to accomplish this.

14. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Ok. Using ethernet from box to open speedtestserver on PC I got 356.0 Mbps down and 638.3 Mbps up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  15. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Interesting at least to me. Seeing the upload speed being much faster prompted me to try transferring a file FROM the Zidoo to my PC which I have never done and I got 35 MB/s transfer speed. Why is it like half the speed going from the PC to the Zidoo?

16. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

lol weirder and weirder

1080ps will play fine over smb from that 15M/s limit cos theyre like only 3-5M/s videos

4k full movies are like 30-90M/s so yeah ,only way is to transfer to a usb hdd on PC then move the hdd to usb3 port on zidoo
    Thats how i do most of my 4k movies anyways even with Lan working ok
    TV 1080p/4k i play from hdd on Pc via smb ,usually unless its a 4k series already moved to a storage drive

Unclejoshc likes this.
  17. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

USB 2 Works fine as well. I have full Remuxes at 100gb for a movie playing fine using the USB 2 port.

18. Faceman2k24

thats bizarre quite frankly.

Its better than 100mbit, but woeful for gigabit.

Perhaps your router is doing some crazy internal firewall or filtering that is messing with it. you're not running through a wifi mesh or anything like that are you?

Unclejoshc likes this.
  19. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Just to confirm your not using wifi even thou you have cat8 plugged in ,unplug it and try transfer again to see if rates change

Unclejoshc likes this.
  20. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

@Unclejoshc . So what is your antivirus software? Maybe this one is affecting SMB file transfers - the real time scanning?
    And what is the version of your OS?

Unclejoshc likes this.