Z9X Pro crashing on MKV files.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Ray Nist, Apr 18, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

I was using the new power brick that came with the Z9X pro.

2. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

Saga continues.

This unit isn’t able to play any files off of any type of non powered usb hard drive, even when I have a powered hub . Seems it can only handle a flash drive for playing files.

I have all of my movies ripped on to different usb drives.

I am able to play any of these files with the drives connected to my MacBook Pro. I will have to figure out if that is how I will proceed if I will return the unit.

this seems very odd and a step backwards from my Z9S.

I am going to try another powered usb hub also.

I did upgrade the firmware this morning.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  3. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

Definitely Z9X Pro can handle non powered USB hard drives. Not sure why it does not work for you. What are the file system formats of your USB drives?

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

its the second box ,same issue so it has to be the usb ssds

Does mac do anything different when formatting the drives ?

Ray Nist likes this.
  5. theory

theory New Member

[whisper]you should use network-attached storage anyways. endless options...[/whisper]

xskip, Ray Nist and Faceman2k24 like this.
  6. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

the drive is formatted as Mac journaled. Never had a single issue on the Z9S - that’s what is so confusing…..

I will check on the file format for the 256gb flash drive version have successfully used. I suspect it is also Mac journaled since I put the files on that drive from my Mac.

7. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

The flash drive is formatted as ExFat. Other drives are Mac OS journaled. You may be on to something here.

Going to take another drive and format it as ExFat and see if those problem files on the other drives play.

8. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

APFS and HFS+ are very poorly supported on Android, perhaps the older unit gained some compatibility over time with a third party driver but out of the box I doubt those formats would work properly.

ExFat and NTFS are the best supported formats for large drives/files these days.

9. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

I have 2 Powered USB Drives with 16 powered External Desktop Hard drives and the only issue I have is that there will be 3 hard drives that don't register most of the time. All I have to do is unplug the power cord from the 3 units, then plug them back in, and they all work fine. Well except that I can't watch a second episode or show after I finish watching the first. It just freezes or plays sound with no video. powering off. and then back on fixes this temporarily. Honestly, these boxes are utter garbage. That is why they have been abandoned. I would return it right away cause there are better options available now. I don't see Zidoo fixing these boxes at all.

10. Faceman2k24

my god man, build a NAS

11. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

Mystery solved!!

apparently the Z9X Pro doesn’t like Mac formatted drives.

I formatted a drive as ExFat on my Mac, transferred files to it (ones that didn’t work on a Mac journal extended drive) and they work fine!

I never did any updates but regular firmware updates on my Z9S and my Mac formatted drives always worked.

well, looks like I will be keeping it

may use a Mac mini as have as a network storage device anyways.

no I need to convert all of my hard drives to ExFat and do a bunch of transferring ☹️. Actually - if I use that Mac mini as a network storage device I probably don’t need to transfer everything…..

thank you everyone for all of the help!!

—Ray

theory likes this.
  12. Faceman2k24

if you host the files over SMB or NFS then you don't need to reformat all your disks, but you will need to ensure your network is up to scratch and running at full speed.

xskip and Ray Nist like this.
  13. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

That should not be a problem. The get great network speeds.

14. xskip

xskip Active Member

yes, Mac journaled is working great on Z9S and Z9X, not on Pro.
    i use SMB to mac and z9x. few drives via mac mini and 4 via old z9x.

Ray Nist likes this.
  15. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Not all of us have high-speed internet dude! I live in a very old building and it is lucky even to have the internet at all. With a maximum of 2mb a sec wifi speed I could prob watch 1080p only. The fact of how gigantic the apartments are and the 12-foot ceilings is worth the sacrifice. better than living in a shoebox like most people renting. Also, why should I switch to nas? cause you say so? what happens when there is no internet?

16. xskip

xskip Active Member

Hi, me again.
    You are great.

btw, this is PRO forum, you can trash your z9x player here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?forums/hdd-media-player-rtd-1619dr.54/

Thanks.
    :rolleyes:

17. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

possibly due to the OS change on the Pro ,from android OS to android tv os ,so maybe something fixable by Zidoo ?

xskip and Ray Nist like this.
  18. Ray Nist

Ray Nist New Member

Your home network speed isn’t the same as internet speed. You can have crap internet speeds but a fast home network right?

19. theory

theory New Member

Exactly. You could have a blazing fast local network without a working internet connection. Probably never happened though ;)

Ray Nist likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Internet speed (or even whether it's connected or not) has absolutely no bearing on LAN speed and therefore NAS performance.

Ray Nist likes this.