Video Plays Initially But Then Displays Black Screen

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Craig, May 22, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I can't explain why it plays fine at my end, but that absolutely sounds like a file issue.

2. Craig

Craig Member

But I've encountered this problem with several files from various sources. They can't all be corrupt. I notice you own a Zidoo Z9X. Is that what you tested the file on?

3. Markswift2003

Yes, tested on Z9X - if you want to send another I'd be happy to try it..

It's just that when it crashes at a specific point in the file every time regardless of start point it indicates a file problem. A hardware problem wouldn't generally be that specific.

4. Craig

Craig Member

Yes, but they all play on my PC with no problem. I have a Z1000 Pro, so perhaps this issue is unique to it. I will wait for firmware 6.3.92 (one fix is "Optimized playback stability" and another is "Fixed the problem that some videos cannot be played"). Thanks for your help

5. Craig

Craig Member

Hi Mark. I updated the firmware (first to 6.3.92, then to 6.4.06) but it didn't help. But I've got closer to a solution. This problem always occurs with Matroska files. I installed MKVToolNix on my PC, imported the file, and tried changing various options, one-at-a-time. In one test, I deleted both subtitle tracks, and generated a new MKV file. It played with success on my Z1000 Pro.

I also learned about "clusters" in Matroska files (a unit that contains a number of frames of all track types). In the problematic file, the timestamp for one of the clusters is 01:21 (i.e. when the video freezes on the Z1000 Pro)

So it appears that the Z9X (and Media Player Classic on my PC) can just overlook this type of corruption in MKV files, but the Z1000 Pro cannot. Here is a link to some background info. This bit may be relevant:

Different players support different subsets of the Matroska specifications. mkvmerge tends to use all the latest features all the time, and this can pose problems for such players.

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/wikis/Improving-playback-compatibility-with-players

6. Markswift2003

All the Zidoo 1619 boxes use the same software and hardware and support video exactly the same, and in case of the Z1000, it shares the same motherboard with the Z9X.

7. Craig

Craig Member

Are you using a third-party video player on your Z9X ?

8. Markswift2003

Nope..

9. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Why not check the log and see whats going on? The internal player spits lots if runtime/play information into the log, so the reason for a stop/crash should be there.

10. Craig

Craig Member

11. andy22

andy22 Active Member

12. Craig

Craig Member

13. Craig

Craig Member

After using a different USB drive, the debug app worked and output the rtk_dump information. I will give this to Zidoo Support

14. Craig

Craig Member

From the DumpLog...

--------- beginning of crash
    06-17 15:50:21.944 F/libc (12948): ../Include/UTIL/ulQueue.h:408: bool CVariableSizeQueue<POOL_SIZE, MAX_ITEMS>::EnQueue(long int, long int*, long int, long int) [with long int POOL_SIZE = 1024l; long int MAX_ITEMS = 64l]: assertion "false" failed
    06-17 15:50:21.945 F/libc (12948): Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 (SI_TKILL) in tid 13035 (DvdPlayer), pid 12948 (DvdPlayer)

15. Craig

Craig Member

After 6 weeks liaising with Zidoo Support, their conclusion was "we don't know why this happens".

I've asked seller Futeko.com for a replacement or refund.

16. Markswift2003

I have to admit I'd have to agree with Support on this - I have no idea what it's happening. At this stage it's got to be a software or hardware fault. Software is more usual and generally fixed with a factory reset and reflash of the same firmware.

I've seen the odd strange issue where there seems to be no rhyme or reason why something's happening and a factory reset sorts it out. Worth a go...

17. Craig

Craig Member

18. Craig

Craig Member

Futeko get the same error after testing the file on a Z1000 Pro and Z9X. Therefore there is a software problem with the default video player. The issue has been reported to Zidoo, and a quick fix has been requested. As a workaround, one could install VLC player:

https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3.3.4/VLC-Android-3.3.4-armeabi-v7a.apk

As Markswift2003 could play the file on his Z9X, it suggests that the default video player software is not consistent, even amongst the same models.

19. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

For clarity, I think the problem is caused by MKVs with internal ASS/subscene subtitles. When testing the sample file Craig sent us, the Zidoo media player crashes at 1:21 if subtitles are enabled but plays normally if they are not. If the sample file is played with subtitles initially turned off the player will crash immediately when they are turned on, regardless of when this happens (before or after 1:21). This has been reported to Zidoo. Quick fix solutions are either to turn subtitles off or use an alternative video playback app like VLC. In the longer term Zidoo/Realtek should come up with a fix.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

Many thanks for the clarification - I didn't spot the subtitles.

What a pain in the ASS.

futeko.com likes this.