Video Plays Initially But Then Displays Black Screen

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Craig, May 22, 2022.

1. Craig

Craig Member

I have encountered a few videos that play initially for a small length of time, but then display a black screen. They are always encoded with the x265 codec, but I know this alone is not the cause. Attached are the details for one example.

UPDATE 03-Aug-2022. This occurs for Matroska (MKV) files with embedded ASS subtitles. It affects the Z1000 Pro and Z9X. It is caused by a bug in the default video player. Zidoo have fixed it in Beta firmware 6.4.20 here:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...1000-pro-uhd3000-neo-x-neo-s-neo-alpha.94137/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can't see any red flags in the MediaInfo.

How small a length of time?

3. Craig

Craig Member

It varies. This example stopped at 01:21

4. Markswift2003

So if it crapped out almost immediately, say 1 or 2s in then I'd think a file incompatibility, but more than that - if it plays for even a minute or so and stops for example, then that's got to be something wrong with the file - It's been over 2 years since I've seen anything like file incompatibility issues and even then it was all centered around Dolby Vision, so I just think this is a file issue and nothing more.

5. Craig

Craig Member

But it plays on my PC with no problem

6. Markswift2003

If you want to PM me a link to a file I'd be happy to take a look..

7. Craig

Craig Member

Thanks. Would it be easier if I uploaded the first 2 minutes here?

8. Markswift2003

Since it's copywrited material, only a PM please.

I find the easiest is to upload to Mega.nz with a free account.

9. Craig

Craig Member

I've tried to send you the link via a PM, but this forum will not allow me. It thinks it is spam. I've tried wrapping the link in CODE but that was rejected too.

10. Markswift2003

Can you upload a text file with the link in it?

11. Craig

Craig Member

Here you go. Feel free to delete this post later. I'm using a Zidoo Z1000 Pro via a Denon AVR-X2700H to a Panasonic JZ2000. Thanks for taking the time to help

12. Markswift2003

Cool - got it.

Also deleted the file...

13. Markswift2003

Ok - I'm 12 minutes into the file now and you know what I'm going to say don't you....

Plays fine.

Apart from a faulty file (which doesn't seem to be the case now), the only other reason I can think of for a file to blank like that is if it's played at full chat - ie 594MHz/17.8Gbps HDMI bandwidth - in other words either 4K60 12-bit 422 or 4K60 8-bit 444/RGB and the HDMI chain is not fully 17.8Gbps compliant.

However, you'd really have to try hard to get the settings that wrong so I'm sure that's not the case. But I'd certainly look at the HDMI chain to start with even though the maximum possible bandwidth this file can play at (assuming it's playing at the correct 23.976fps) is 445MHz/13.4Gbps and most HDMI chains will pass that ok. Also worth noting that if you have the settings correct, the bandwidth should be 371MHz/11.1Gbps which can be passed with a damp piece of string.

I certainly don't believe in blaming everything on HDMI cables, but I've had enough grief from them over the years to make sure that I only use Genuine Certified cables these days. Worth checking at least.

And while I've been typing this, that file has played right to the end with no issues...

14. Craig

Craig Member

I use HDMI 2.1 certified cables throughout my set-up. I tried using a different input in the AVR, and a different HDMI cable. All of my settings match your recommended ones except the Display/HDMI Mode (mine is Automatic i.e. 3840x2160 60Hz). I have also tried a factory reset on the Zidoo.

Can you think of anything else, or is my Zidoo just f*cked?

15. Markswift2003

The fact that it only happens to some files and not others doesn't really indicate that it's an issue with the Zidoo - can't rule it out, but it doesn't feel like that..

Another thing to try is set resolution to 1920x1080p 23Hz and turn Frame Rate Mode "Off" (settings/display/frame rate mode) to allow the file to play in 1080p and see if it blanks then...

16. Craig

Craig Member

The video still froze and the screen went black at the same place...01:21

17. Markswift2003

And that's exactly the same file you sent me? - as in you uploaded that particular file?

18. Craig

Craig Member

Yes

19. Markswift2003

Does it do it at exactly the same point each time? Even if you say fast forward to 50s in and start from there?

20. Craig

Craig Member

Yes, it chokes at 01:21 every time