So what Happened to the New 2022 / 2023 Zidoo Line ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2023.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

For Example Hdmi 2.1 spec is support of QMS
    Would a hdmi 2.0 tv support it ?
    If now HDMI could be 2.0 or 2.1 or hdmi 2.1 a

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's all backwards compatible, so no problems.

QMS is an HDMI 2.1a feature but that doesn't mean that any devices supporting QMS won't work with earlier versions.

3. DELUCAS

at least we know that
    LG’S 2023 OLED TVS WILL BE THE FIRST TO HAVE QUICK MEDIA SWITCHING VRR USING HDMI 2.1A

But how do we know the Zidoo is actually Hdmi 2.1 or 2.1a or 2.0 to take advantage of QMS ? ( that is if it can be implemented )

As now any manufacture can say its 2.1 it seems now .

gymnos likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Doesn't really matter either way - it'll still work, QMS or not.

No need to shout btw.

xskip likes this.
  5. DELUCAS

it was the easier way of copying it
    It was just in diff italics from a page hence bigger & my typing tagged on became bigger as well .

6. Markswift2003

:)

DELUCAS likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

Here's the thing - we're in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment.

On the one hand we have SOCs that are perfectly able to decode a FEL layer simply because they have multiple HEVC decoders, and on the other hand we have Dolby who absolutely won't allow media players to do that at the moment.

We have Zappiti in compulsory liquidation which means they've been trading insolvently and have had their hand forced by their creditors (I know a lot about this - I've been there owning a company a lot bigger than Zappiti, and it's not nice - I really feel for them. It's a sh*t place to be)

We have Dune who because of their geography have been forced into the OEM market and essentially rebadging crap Kodi boxes.

And we have Zidoo and Eversolo who have none of these problems.

But as always, it's a decision of which way to go with the SOCs available at the time.

I think Zidoo's decision to stick with Realtek and go with their next iteration of 4K SOCs is exactly the right decision at the moment and it stands us in good stead for what's to come in the next couple of years.

Zidoo are the only manufacturer on firm footing at the moment in this market so sit back and enjoy the ride instead of fretting about it.

(or entertainingly incessantly whinging and moaning about it as several others seem wont to do).

gymnos, AngryVirginian, vddan and 4 others like this.
  8. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

It’s a nightmare because the HDMI version has become beyond useless. You need to check the device for every specific feature that you want.

9. Markswift2003

It's kind of always been like that though - a new feature is added to the next HDMI version but the manufacturers add it to the last version any way...

10. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Wait would this play things like x264 10 bit 720p anime files? I think those are AV1, right? Or am I mixing something up. You can still play them on the Zidoo but you need to use ZDMC/Kodi.

11. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

EDIt - (should read using the current boxes):

Two different things. You CAN play 10bit x264 in ZDMC/Kodi, but AV1 is a no go, as it's a software decode and it's like 5 fps.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  12. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Z9X Pro and Z20 Pro support AV1

xskip and Oldpainless like this.
  13. Sledgehamma

Yeah? I thought in the past you could be sure that the AVR supports 3D picture because it had HDMI 1.4.

14. Jimbo Randy

Sorry, I don't undertand this. I have played AV1 files in ZDMC with no issue?

EDIT: Sorry, they weren't AV1. It says AVI lol. Got them mixed up.

Oldpainless likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

Hilarious!

16. Markswift2003

Yeah I've seen a lot of displays that were for example, ostensibly HDMI1.4 but with HDMI2 features slipped in the EDID or HDMI 2.0 displays that support HDR which technically (but not really) need HDMI2.0a.

17. Sledgehamma

I guess this way around is good. Never complained about additional features ;)

18. Jimbo Randy

Hey man, the 1 and the I look similar!

19. Sledgehamma

The marketing team went out to lunch when they came up with that name…

20. ginandbacon

ginandbacon New Member

While Dunes Android experiment failed, their new 8K lineup has gone back to its traditions and runs the same Linux OS as the previous realtek models. The issue is Android won't allow a device to be Android certified, meaning HDR and no limitations, These boxes run Android in a container or as a VM but it's done in a way that breaks Google's rules.

What Dune did was run Android natively for that certification then ran the Dune OS in a container or something similar, which had to be side loaded because wasn't allowed in either. Android isn't really Linux, yes, it uses the kernel but it's essential just a Java VM running on Dalvik cache. So what you ended up with is a media player that worked well as a streamer but had obvious issues running Dune OS this way.and better/cheaper streaming boxes are available.

My understanding is Dune has always written the main OS. I could be wrong, maybe it's open sour e but all 3, or now 2, companies that seel these players always have the EXACT same features from a software perspective outside some GUI changes. DV VS10 engine, DV profiles 5, 7 and 8. A lot of the menus are practically identical.

It's pretty apparent that Dune learned their lesson. Now if the can recover from it is.a different story.

HDMI 2.1 means absolutely nothing now. According to the HDMI forum HDMI 2.0 no longer exists, and all the things that were supposed to be requirements for HDMI 2.1 are ALL now optional so read the fine print on any HDMI 2.1 device. Outside QMC and ALLM all the benefits are really for gamers like VRR. Are you watching movies at variable refresh rates.

I wish they would have made QMC at a minimum a requirement but as it stands, you could sell and HDMI 1.4 cable labeled as 2.1 and that's apparently perfectly okay. Same with TV's. Obviously nobody is that shady but you get the point. HDMI versions mean nothing at this point. It's what the manufacturer wants to add.

To be honest though HDMI 2.0b could handle any video format available today outside 8K and anything above 60FPS at UHD resolution, so outside QMS the benefits to TV/Movies is practically nothing. 2.0b handles every audio format also so the 2.1 thing is just marketing at this point although the new Dune 8K models have an experimental 4K120FPS mode. Not sure how it works but it also says 8K60FPS and that does require the full 48Gbps bandwidth, or close to it. I thing the Xbox/PlayStation are 42Gbos so that's not even consistent.

I still use the Dune Solo and outside no AV1 support, I'm really not missing much. Sure, the UI is slower but it looks like the Dune 8K models can actually play DV profile 7 FEL properly although I can't verify that. I do wonder how the S928X chip compares to the realtek chip in this. Dune does go out of there way to highlight FEL and detail why Android was a headache although it's not the real reason.

Zidoo is still cheaper and there aren't any good comparisons yet as far as I know. Pretty sure the 8K is pretty new, the Dune Sole 8K just showed up about a week or two ago. But still, while I have zero interest in 8K, the Dune at least supports 8K at HDR at 60fps so it has be "HDMI 2.1" granted that means nothing now as a spec.

Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL

most advanced Dolby Vision format. The media player plays video in this format using both tracks/layers. The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer. The passed video data uses 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs, i.e. this fully uses the capabilities of OLED TVs. Combined with the full use of Dolby Vision metadata this gives an excellent Dolby Vision picture on the TV screen

Optimized OS

Since the media player does not have Google Android TV certification, the operating system in the media player is optimized to eliminate the unneeded burdens and limitations. In particular, the media player does not create unneeded Android folders on connected HDDs, system performance is not decreased by Android indexing files on the connected HDDs, and so on.

Full 8K video support

8K is a next generation video format, which offers 4 times as many pixels than 4K. 8K format gives the most immersive viewing experience and delivers a truly smooth and crisp image. The media player supports both 8Kp60 HDR video decoding and 8Kp60 HDR video output. The media player can downscale 8K content to any resolution and upscale any content to 8K resolution. YouTube 8K HDR is supported.
    AV1 video codec

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024