So what Happened to the New 2022 / 2023 Zidoo Line ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Is that like ARC/eARC? LIke an hdmi port that only carries audio and not video? Because if so, I try to avoid ARC/eARC like the black plague. It's SO buggy across the board lol.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's just an HDMI audio only port. Nothing to do with ARC/eARC. Models higher up the range have them.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I'd say 99% of the Z9X users use ARC/eARC for audio as it doesn't have a separate HDMI Audio out and have zero issues. There's maybe 1% that uses something like HDFury to send the audio out separately or something odd like that. so yes, you'd have to use ARC/eARC for audio via the HDMI Video out.

4. Markswift2003

ARC/eARC is only needed for outboard sources like the Zidoo in very specific circumstances - for example, a cheap soundbar with only one HDMI input.

Standard connection is Source > Amp/Soundbar/Receiver > Display

Most people have no need for ARC/eARC or separate HDMI Audio output for outboard sources. Of course ARC/eARC is very useful for getting TV audio (from inbuilt apps on the TV) to the amplifier.

Personally I view ARC/eARC as a last resort, only to be used if absolutely necessary.

5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

My C9 uses HDMI ARC even in this scenario below, otherwise it will not work as I'm sure all LGs do. Not sure about other brands.

Standard connection is Source > Amp/Soundbar/Receiver > Display

6. Markswift2003

You only need ARC/eARC if the source is directly connected to the display - that's the point. Audio going direct to the TV is passed back out of the TV's HDMI in to the amp's HDMI out. Hence the name - Audio Return Channel.

When the source is connected to an AV amp for example, audio and video just pass straight through on the one HDMI chain.

Unless you've done something mad with your HDMI cables ;)

7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Negative, I need ARC/eARC turned on the C9, even if I am going through the AVR. On C9, the HDMI ARC setting is what sends the sounds from source to AVR, its the only option for HDMI audio.

8. Markswift2003

The display has no say in what happens to the signal from source to AVR. The HDMI out from the Zidoo simply sends audio and video to the AVR.

The AVR processes the sound and spits it out the speakers (the display has nothing to do with that bit) and the video is sent to the display. There's no need for ARC at all.

9. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Understood. I am just relegating how C9 operates. If its not set to hdmi arc option there's no audio/sound unless you want TV speakers or optical etc.

10. Markswift2003

I can't imagine how you actually do that - and I have an 8500 too!!! :D

B0RN likes this.
  11. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

You may have to amend your 99% i use a receiver no sound bar but Cinema Speaker system no arc used never .

Shame new Z20 Pro replaced the older hdmi in for Hdmi Audio output .

12. Markswift2003

Both the Z9X Pro and Z20 Pro replace the HDMI In with USB 3 so there is only one HDMI port on both models which is way more useful than HDMI In.

B0RN likes this.
  13. Jimbo Randy

Wait this doesn't make any sense lol. ARC is audio RETURN channel, so why would you need ARC if you're plugging the Zidoo into your AVR? Am I missing something here? Why can't you plug the AVR into one of the normal non-ARC HDMI ports? You're saying that results in no sound?

EDIT: Make sure you have the C9 set to "bitstream" and "pass through". Match your settings to the below guide. It is the holy grail right now in terms of best settings for LG OLEDs just short of an actual professional calibration.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...e6HpWJ8swTGBu1pg-jqTSewuLPkRrd-n5qkN/pubhtml#

HDMI Input Audio Format = "Bitstream"

Digital Sound Output = "Pass Through"

AV Sync Adjustment = "Bypass"

Turn off anything for ARC/eARC if you don't need it. Personally, for internal TV apps like Netflix, I just use optical audio and I just get Dolby Digital. That's good enough for me. My AVR is old so it doesn't have eARC, and ARC is always buggy as **** for me (at least with that AVR) so I just use optical.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  14. DELUCAS

Correct but old Z10 Pro had Hdmi out & Hdmi in ( which most did not use )
    Z20 Pro should of had Hdmi in and change Hdmi in to Hdmi Audio out .

plus Z10 Pro has 2 x Usb 3.0 and the new Z20 Pro has lost a Usb 3 port to only one
    Plus side sata connection is now gone .

so in effect we have lost port connections :(
    Shame we did not get 2 x usb 3.0 to the rear to make up for the loss.

B0RN likes this.
  15. Jimbo Randy

Interesting. For my use case I don't care about HDMI audio out/in/whatever. I just plug the zidoo into my AVR or my TV and i'm good to go. I'm not sure what the use cases are for hdmi audio only. I guess on more complicated home theater setups? I can't think of any reason for them but I"m sure there are.

16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Hehe see the data on this sheet below. For LGs you must use ARC/eARC regardless of your setup. And there is nothing wrong with that.

upload_2023-5-5_15-20-28.png

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  17. DELUCAS

For some Hdmi Audio out use was for folks who had older Hdmi 1.4 Receiver / Amp and a 4k screen etc

18. Jimbo Randy

I'll confirm with the author of that guide but I think he's saying to turn on eARC in case you want to use it. He's not saying you NEED IT. But i'll confirm with him since I chat with him from time to time. He's most likely saying to turn it on for the OS apps on the TV itself (netflix, hulu, etc). ARC is audio RETURN channel, right? So I just don't see how ARC would have literally ANYTHING to do with the source and your AVR. Your TV isn't the one playing the sound or doing anything with sound. Your AVR does that. So this is a bit odd.

19. Jimbo Randy

Oh I see. This basically did the same thing as the HD Fury AVR Key?

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

He will confirm, you must use HDMI ARC option on Sound Out - there's no way around it.