Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Jacza33

Jacza33 Member

I started a new thread for the following issue, but probably not necessary. I have an external Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ connected via USB cable to the Eversolo streamer and the whole thing to the Roon server on a laptop via LAN. Everything works as it should. The only problem is that the Roon Remote for iPad doesn't recognize the DAC+, it just shows it as "USB OUT" without mentioning the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Eversolo himself sees and recognizes Mytek, but Roon on the iPad does not. The second topic is about playing bluray audio discs. From what I can see, it's unplayable. Maybe something will change in the future? Regards

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Can only comment on the last item. For BD Pure Audio discs to play the BD Menu processing is essential. Don't see that coming to Eversolo.

I use my media players for that. An entry Zidoo Z9X Pro isn't exactly expensive even if just used for audio. But it won't play DVD-Audio. I extract those HD tracks to FLAC using XRECODE3 on my PC which works just fine.

3. Nice Monkey

It looks like the DMP-A6 does the MQA decoding nicely when set to rendering only. The DAC receives the audio then decoded hence the purple light showing when setup like this. Doing both it will be blue (or green).

Added this piece of information.

RoDa likes this.
  4. Ron Kindel

Ron Kindel New Member

Ok, installed the update. I’ve been struggling trying to get out of shuffle mode on Qobuz for weeks. There is an icon on the upper right when streaming favorites with 3 horizontal lines and a up and down arrow. When pressed choices come up for ADDED, A-Z, Z-A and DEFAULT. Makes sense that pressing ADDED and then play songs should play in sequence of how they were added but no dice. Starts with first song on list, as you expect but next is playing back in shuffle node. Very frustrating! What am I missing?

5. Nice Monkey

I would raise that question as a dedicated new topic. My knowhow for all those streaming services and their specifics is minimal. Off topic here.

6. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

I got my DMP yesterday. So far I’m happy. I threw some DSD512 at it and it didn’t break a sweat. now I can finally play my extensive iTunes music (nearly 7000 albums) in lossless format in a very easy way.
    Spotify looks cool, and I even sideloaded (just to try) smarttubetv on the box.

my Eversolo dac moved one floor up to my pc, but then I entered a world of pain because of driver issues.
    In any case, the DMP is well worth the money.

7. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

The same problem occurs with the Tidal stream Play/Shuffle function. Eversolo support is looking into the problem. I suggest you contact them directly as well. They are very responsive to issues.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  8. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

Have you checked your Qobuz Play function lately? Eversolo Tech Support was able to correct the Play function for the iOS Tidal stream without updating the iOS app.

9. timm

timm Member

So I’ve had ‘problem’ threads mostly on the forum - thank you to those that have responded to my noob questions. So I’d like to take the time to express how great this thing sounds with a little positivity.

I feel it extends the highs and lows with clear mids. Compared to my jriver+fidelizer laptop , the detail retrieval is superb. Albums that used to be dull or not involving have more layers and dynamics. I use it as a streamer only. I think it had a break in period where things came together - or I figured things out. It seems to be getting better. I have two 5tb usb drives off a powered usb hub on the usb otg port and am wondering if I can add another.

My system for reference is ps audio directstream/ Cary slp98p - modded + direct coupled / pass labs monos / Magnepan 20.7.

doctorf and Nutul like this.
  10. Dray Crawford

Dray Crawford New Member

11. Slippy

Slippy New Member

Hi I have Eversolo DMP A6 on trial. I've connected to my DAC via the USB output and also via the SPDIF RCA, to hear which output gives the best result. But when I switch from USB to SPDIF and listen to hi res files like 88.2 mhz or 96 mhz, a whistling sound comes out of the speakers that continues for a few seconds even after stopping the music. This does not happen if I listen to 44.1 mhz files or if I unplug the USB cable from the back of the device. Of course, I also tried different cables. Any help?

12. Nice Monkey

I don't know if parallel connections is causing this. I would try one or the other sequentially.

13. Slippy

Slippy New Member

Using one or the other in sequence there is no problem.

Grg72 likes this.
  14. DRM

DRM New Member

I'm excited to buy this and upgrade my legacy 2ch setup which is:

PC optical out playing 1.000 CDs ripped to FLAC (~9,000 tracks) > Lavry DA-10 DAC > Bel Canto e.One preamp and monoblocs> Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers

I've read exciting things about Roon and kind of feel as if the smartest way forward for me is to go straight to both with the DMP-A6 plus a NUC running ROCK for my Core.

As this will all be a bit new to me I'd appreciate guidance on 2 issues:

1. Whether there would be any ups or downs I should be aware of better to store my 9,000 FLAC library on an external SSD drive on my ROON Core NUC or on an SSD within the DMP-A6.
    2. Although I will do my own listening to test this, I'm curious about whether users here would expect I will get better audio quality through:

DMP-A6 digital out (either SPDIF or optical) > Lavry DA-10 DAC > Bel Canto e.One preamp > Bel Canto e.One monoblocs > Gallo Reference 3.1
    DMP-A6 analog XLR out > Bel Canto e.One preamp > Bel Canto e.One monoblocs > Gallo Reference 3.1
    DMP-A6 analog XLR out > Bel Canto e.One monoblocs > Gallo Reference 3.1 (with volume control over the app in analog domain)

Thanks for your wisdom - set up this audio system 20 years ago and haven't touched a thing but want to take full advantage of Tidal or Qobuz, Roon and just get away from the ups and downs of cludgy Windows updates etc.

Hannibal_ likes this.
  15. Hannibal_

Hannibal_ Member

well, don’t know your DAC but my DAC has still a tad more soundstage and better instrument separation. Currently via SPDIF, going to test usb when back home.

with respect to putting your music on an SSD (on your Roon or internal) , I would find it a benefit not too have a pc running but have them available directly. Sound may not differ too much since the pc is intrinsically decoupled on optical.

it’s all in the proofing of the pudding?

DRM likes this.
  16. Hannibal_

Hannibal_ Member

cool loudspeakers, for sure!

Rafael and DRM like this.
  17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I'd go with this, the short signal path.
    If you think your DAC is better than the A6's one, then add it in the chain between, of course, the A6 and the preamp.
    I'd give the A6 a good try, though, its DAC is good s**t.

Stopeter44, Rafael and DRM like this.
  18. wcseow

wcseow Member

If you have a NUC running ROCK and a good LAN setup, I will suggest you consider to have the library be on the external SSD drive connected to the NUC.

Roon library mgmt is much more stable, good integration of local and Tidal/Qobuz etc.

I have Intel NUC running Roon ROCK with a external drive and various Roon end points, including Eversolo A6. Stable as a rock (pun intended).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    DRM likes this.
  19. DRM

DRM New Member

Thanks everyone, hugely helpful. FWIW I'm deep into NUC research now and will indeed be going with an external SSD for my music library on the Roon Core. Kind of cool to be relooking at all of this stuff after giving it a miss for 20 years. So much evolution...curious about some of the more exotic high bitrate files and if they're worth exploring. Seems as if the DMP-A6 can work with them and my downstream audio chain is quite good. Exciting times.

Nutul and wcseow like this.
  20. DRM

DRM New Member

Thanks Nutul that's interesting and to my mind something of a vote of confidence in the DMP-A6 DAC and execution of volume control...and re-reading my post I wanted to make it clear that I know that:

DMP-A6 analog XLR out > Bel Canto e.One monoblocs > Gallo Reference 3.1 (with volume control over the app in analog domain)

should really have said...

DMP-A6 analog XLR out > Bel Canto e.One monoblocs > Gallo Reference 3.1 (with volume control over the app in DIGITAL domain)

Nutul likes this.