Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

well you look at the specs of your TV

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, definitely - some older LGS only support Standard (TV Led DV) and old Sonys only support Player Led (for obvious reasons!) but I think all newer DV capable TVs support both flavours.

3. Markswift2003

I don't have a copy of the C1 EDID in front of me but I'd be 99% certain it supports both player and TV led, so set to TV Led.

4. Markswift2003

Quite tricky to check as manufacturers tend to dumb down the specs to just "Dolby Vision Capable" but if you set to "TV Led" you should be good.

If the TV supports TV Led then of course it will use that but if not it will fall back to Player Led.

Stefano C likes this.
  5. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

thanks... :D

6. Issa

Issa Member

Thank you Mark for taking time to help us. Love ya

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

That's really nice - thank you :)

8. domifer

domifer Member

Hi. I have a SONY OLED A90J from this year, I noticed that If i switch to TV Led then it won't output 12 or 10 bit, only YUV 8 bit when playing a DV film. I tried with both settings -> Player LED does outputs at the best optimum color depth but TV LED doesn't (I checked this by pressing OK while playing a DV movie to see the movie specs)
    So, does this mean, that player LED is better, or that something is wrong, or is there a setting I am not aware of?

9. Markswift2003

No that's correct - TV Led is 12-bit YUV video contained in an 8-bit RGB container to maintain HDMI 1.4 compatibility.

10. OlivierQC

Hello Mark,

About the information available on page 1 (see image below)... are they still correct?

because in the meantime there have been several FWs and I was wondering if there were any improvements or problems that would have appeared

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  11. Markswift2003

Hi Olivier - yes I believe that info is still all correct..

12. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

I read in another thread that you prefer to use « switch frame rate only », so the Zidoo will do the upscale. Is it a valid option vs « frame rate and resolution » to get the best PQ possible when you have a 4k TV?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  13. OlivierQC

Thanks Mark :)

@Inikad,

I thought the second option was to let the TV do the scaling, since the beginning I use the wrong option ?

14. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

I still use « frame rate and resolution » but I was curious to know the opinion of Mark about that, as he said to use « frame rate only » in his settings.

15. Markswift2003

Personally I prefer to use "Frame Rate Only".

The upscaling ability of these devices is excellent and I dare say at least a match for most displays or AV Amps.

In years gone by it was always desirable for the amp to do the upscaling as displays were never that good at it, but things move on and these days, unless you go for a dedicated VP there's very little in it. And even in that case it's very much the law of diminishing returns.

I also prefer to keep HDMI resyncs to a minimum, so removing resolution changes from the source really helps this.

As I always say, these are only my personal preferences and YMMV.

But not by much ;)

vddan and pcristi like this.
  16. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Thanks for the explanations. :)

I agree with you 100% about the HDMI resyncs and that's why I was curious about this option and the PQ.

17. OlivierQC

It's been a few years but everyone agreed that Sony TVs did a good job and I kept that in mind when I selected "frame rate and resolution".

But if you say that today's multimedia boxes have nothing to envy to the receiver and/or TV, I'll try the option ''switch frame rate only'' to reduce HDMI resyncs to a minimum

18. Markswift2003

Always trust your eyes of course, but that's what I'd do.

Must admit it's only recently that I've started doing this - I was still stuck in the age old belief that my AV amps provided the best upscaling route and while there will undoubtedly be differences in the performance between the 1619 and outboard processing if you start scrutinising the appropriate test patterns, that doesn't necessarily follow that overall one is better than the other.

There will be areas where A outperforms B and areas where B outperforms A, but in the real world it makes no tangible difference.

It's not a rule and some will disagree, but it's well worth trying - and I bet you'll see no difference ;)

19. OlivierQC

Hello Mark,

I tried last night and tried both options in turn. I didn't see any difference and if there is a difference my eyes don't see it.

On the other hand I saw very well the difference with the HDMI resyncs

Yes, beliefs are persistent about upscaling.

I'll talk about it on my Facebook group by quoting you, but not on the HCFR forum, it might create a heated debate.

---------------------

I will make a new GIF ''My settings FW 6.3.40'' and add an explanation about the 2 possibilities in the ''Frame Rate Switch'' tab

Thanks for your detailed explanations

See yoo soon

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

I don"t anderstand you! In the first post of this topic You wrote this :

"A lot of people ask about these, so I thought I'd post here so I can point to this in future.

Might not be suitable for everyone, but these are the settings I recommend from 2K & 4K viewing on the new Zidoo models:

MAIN SETTINGS

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution"

And now, you write Your personally prefer to use "Frame Rate Only".

So how is it now? :)