Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. 1GTRBG

1GTRBG Member

Offtopic - I have similar case useing Egreat A5 and UAPP connected to my DAC Oppo Sonica Dac(ES9038PRO)
    The sound is better with USB-In instead of HDD connected to DAC
    By the way I just purchased Zidoo UHD3000 but with upgraded audio and video from these guys: https://www.authentic-cinema.de/
    The price is double the retail price but these guys know what to do for best sound and video.
    Of course I will compare the audio between OPPO DAC and Zidoo with newer DAC chip.
    (Nice Monkey to blame for everything(•‿•))

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. Mentor27

Mentor27 Member

"DSD64 outputs as 176/16 bits
    DSD128 outputs as 88/16 bits
    outputs DSD256 at 44/16 bits "

Hello nice monkey!

I am from Poland and I write on the translator so sorry for the mistakes.

I have UH3000 and I wonder if converting to PCM by ZIDOO UHD3000 DSD really has to look like this?

It seems to me that the sampling beach by raising the gain, and not vice versa, drop to 44kHz in the case of the DSD256.
    I do not have any special knowledge in this topic, but the logic is if the DSD64 mode is to reach 174.6kHz to DSD128 to ALREADY 352.8kHZ ... etc.

Maybe you could explain to me what it is - I would be grateful. Fact, I am using my ZIDOO UHD3000 in native DAC mode but
    it would be good to know about this sound via HDMI.

Do you have any information on adding bit depth when the recording is being copied. Thank you in advance.

I hit everyone on the forum, especially You monkey for the incredible amount of work on the forum.

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Will be good to hear your opinions/experiences regarding sound.

5. Nice Monkey

This is caused by CPU limitations set to using HDMI output! Unpacking/decompressing SACD and next doing DSD ==> PCM conversions take a lot of processing power. The player reaches its limits here. So more work done on decompressing DSD128/DSD256 less power remaining for DSD => PCM conversions resulting in lower output rates.

Using your UHD3000 set to DAC output Native DSD is supported at all rates and should sound a lot better.

I have some hope DSD via HDMI may come (in my case for DSD MCH output). Normally with a suitable driver that should have lower processing requirements than doing DSD => PCM conversions and should allow for Native DSD output at original sampling rates.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Mentor27 likes this.
  6. Valary

Valary New Member

Hello,
    I have Zidoo Z9x, and I am trying to use it for music listening via HDMI. I have 7.1 soundbar ( LG SK9y+back speakers). The sound in a video player ( Dolby Atmos and even PCM multichannel) is pretty good. Music player for 2 channels playback is fine too. But in cases when I have to use a music player for multichannel playback - it sounds awful and almost unusable. DSD sound plays only in 2-channel, when I try to run 5 channels audio it just skips and starts to play next track. In the ISO images, the player also plays only 2 channels although when I play the same files through laptop - it says there are 5 channels of audio and I get all 4 channels on my soundbar.
    Does anyone have similar problems? Is it just settings or it's just useless to get multichannel playback of audio?

7. Nice Monkey

Did not read my post it seems as it is all told in Chapter-2! :mad:

Music Player does not support MCH SACD ISO/DSF/DFF in any way. Tracks will be just skipped. I put this as a bug on my list as it should give an unsupported format error instead.
    Hint: One can manually extract MCH SACD tracks to MCH DSF and via MCH DSF => MCH FLAC conversion next play them with MCH PCM sound (24-bit 88.2 KHz recommended). I was using myself the excellent XRECODE3 program for that task prior to getting my hands on an OPPO. ;)

A SACD ISO with both 2CH/MCH on it will play the 2CH tracks with DSD => PCM conversion via HDMI. With FW 6.3.12 that is now done in 24-bit and should sound close to DSD output. Updated the main post accordingly. Maybe SACD support will be further enhanced as Zidoo is hinting on that for a while? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  8. Valary

Valary New Member

Sorry, If I mess up something, I am not proficient with terminology yet. I will try to investigate it more deeply later. For now, I'm just a bit confusing that my old laptop can be a more universal music player than a new TV box, but anyway thank you for the explanation and for XRECODE3 program. It's really excellent in MCH Flack creation!

9. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

Why not REALLY give us Roon Readyness :) ??? Promised never happened till now then there would be one more function which makes sense in means of HiFi, let the Zidoo be the audio bridge and let the Roon server do the nasty stuff if needed (conversion, convolution etc etc).

10. Nice Monkey

Easy: it has lot more CPU power and there are any kind of drivers/codecs for it. That is what is needed for Music (all done in software unlike video).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    rozel likes this.
  11. toshu

toshu Member

Nice Monkey,
    Great write up. I just bought the Z9X, primarily for audio playback but also occasionally video.
    Are these setting for audio, that you posted appropriate for the Z9X even though it doesnt have the ESS internal DAC chip??
    I will be testing and setting up the z9x primarily to work without my Topping DAC. Depending on success and ease of use, I will hook it up via USB to the Topping in the future, and use the UAPP app.

12. MsieurSeb

MsieurSeb Member

Hello,
    Which TAG program do you use for better scraping with MP6?
    Thx

13. TommyC123

TommyC123 New Member

Does MP6 output native resolution via USB out to an external DAC? e.g., 88.2 kHz outputs as 88.2 kHz. DSD128 outputs as DSD128. There was a bug that all outputs are 192 khz regardless of resolution. Has this been fixed?

Additionally, how do I know whether the Zidoo USB output will work with my external DAC? I'm looking at either the UHD3000 or NEO X.

Rather than using the Zidoo for video playback and another server (e.g., Aurender, Auralic, Innuos, Naim, etc) for music playback, I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

14. Nice Monkey

Not using USB DAC's anymore. @rozel is very precise and can tell you for sure.

Having both a UHD3000 and Zeo X that is what I did: Killing 2 birds with one stone. In fact my UHD3000 may end up on sale?

The 3rd bird MCH Music (DVD Audio and MCH SACD native DSD) escaped and still need my OPPO for that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    TommyC123 likes this.
  15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hey! First up have a read on this thread: -

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...igh-definition-audio-experience-so-far.86239/

This has been my journey with the Z1000 Pro, culminating in yesterday's success in fitting a much improved USB Interface Card to my external DAC. It has excellent input from @Nice Monkey and covers. I think, most of what you are asking. I'll also push his tremendous thread here: -

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...useful-stuff-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/

and this one too: -

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ms-upto-fw-v6-3-35-no-feature-requests.84836/

I am unfamiliar with the UHD3000 and Neo X but from what I read these have excellent internal DACs and perhaps that's the way to use them? As far as USB Audio output is concerned, all the players have a software switch to "activate" or "switch on" USB Audio" and if you have your external DAC connected up and switched on, the same screen will reveal your DAC's capabilities (like an info screen). However, I maybe wrong but there's another switch for "Sample Rate", which if not switched on will not allow Flac WV and other similar non-DSD files but lossless nevertheless, to play. Switch this on and on the Z1000 Pro you'll get a max of 24/192 playback. This is why I favour UAPP - has much much more flexibility but is a pain to install, set up and use, primarily because the v8 remote, when in mouse mode, is a complete PITA. I am currently exploring whether to buy an Air Mouse or a Bluetooth mouse. One of my current outstanding issues is that using either my Harmony Elite Remote or the Zidoo one, results in it messing with my DAC's filters and inputs. However I have bought the full version of UAPP and contrary to what I have read, it does cover multiple devices. At the moment I have it installed on the Zidoo and my Android tablet. I have also installed Team Viewer on both also so in reality I see the Ziddo's screens on my tablet and operate from that in my arm chair.

A lot of reading but as an audiophile, I am now extremely happy with the lossless sounds I'm getting. I am also getting for the first time Native DSD which I understand does not strain the Zidoo to much unlike DOP (DSD Over PCM) and switching tracks etc etc seem much smoother.

I hope this helps - please come back if you need anything more

16. Nice Monkey

One of these days I will give my Dune HD BT AirMouse Remote a try with UHD3000 running UAPP. See if the RF mouse and USB DAC conflict can be avoided that way?

Dune will not run UAPP to my very big unpleasant surprise. Got the AirMouse with it for exactly that purpose.

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I've just pulled the trigger on a std Bluetooth mouse via Amazon - £10.99 . I figure that it's going to be less prone to messing with the DAC than an air mouse. It runs BT 3.0/5.0 and IR - I'll close off the IR on it and who knows? A std USB wired mouse - an elcheapo - works fine with UAPP but it means I have to kneel down in front of the Zidoo because of the cable being too short - I need to sit in my arm chair lol!

@Nice Monkey - I hope you'll try and answer my questions and give me your thoughts on my thread - the first one in my above post - please :)

18. 56k

56k Member

Music download from deezer or ramdom site

when scan crash dont know if those song have issue or zidoo have issue scapping those music files

just delete 2T0 of music

Music From tidal hi-fi .flac loseless codec have no problem whenn scanning no issue!

so building myself a new music library from tidal :)

19. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I would like to be able to try the Music Player but I have so many files in Wavpack (especially in DSD) which unfortunately are not supported, I try to ask if it is possible to add support for these files, Wavpack is a lossless container that can contain both PCM than DSD, the beauty is that DSDs weigh half the corresponding DSF files and are lossless, who knows if maybe Zidoo supported this format ..... https://www.wavpack.com/
    Thanks

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hmmm - that's got me thinking. I hardly use MP6 these days and can't remember much about these files with that soft. I use USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) which is the way to go, especially like yourself who's into HD Audio. No longer need to refresh albums / folders at best wait for ages at worst app bombs out or you have to retry up to 5 times. The good news for you is that UAPP works beautifully with .wv files on my Z1000 Pro, new tracks transfered from my PC in any format are almost instantly seen and the playback options are phenominal. I play back using the USB Audio output into an external DAC. The app was developed for Headphone Users at first but ext DAC owners are now using it, almost exclusively. I apologise if you know about UAPP.

I'm afraid MP6 will never match up and this is the only grouse I have with my Zidoo. Do yourself a favour and check the app out on Playstore if you haven't already, there is a small charge for it and there are a few in-app purchases too if these light your candle. Please let me know what your setup is and if I can help, then please do not hesitate to get in touch. If you'd like to know about my HD Audio journey, then take a look here: -

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/zidoo-z1000-pro-–-my-high-definition-audio-experience-so-far.86239/

Due an update as recently as I've added an ISO REGEN to my DAC and am awaiting a Linear PSU for it.

For really, really and even more really technical audio stuff @Nice Monkey is the man, who has helped me enormously and the originator of this thread.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021