PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trafficlightslave

trafficlightslave New Member

I am utterly devastated that this appears to not work at all on the new Android 11 boxes, the Plex app defaults to TV mode and you can never select external player. Please if anyone finds a solution for this please let me know

2. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

It's certainly possible that Plex doesn't see it as a mobile device anymore so won't allow the external player option. That would be a real shame.

3. Suramen

Suramen New Member

Can you try with the new Plex Android Version ?

Plex for Android 9.26.0

Available on Google Play 2 and the Amazon App Store.

NOTE: We are performing a staged rollout, which means the update may take a day or two before it becomes available.

WHATS NEW:

• [Mobile] Implement a new library access invite indicator in the sidebar.
    FIXES:

• Search: improve header of location picker for genre results.
    • Search: start playback of track results directly.
    • Preplay: show the “Watch from these locations” section for unreleased titles that are available on a server.
    • Search: app could crash opening some search results.
    • Preplay: the app could crash displaying the preplay activity feed.
    • Player: update burn-in subtitle settings to allow ASS subtitles to be burnt in (through the Only Advanced Formats setting).
    • [Mobile] App would crash when navigating to the home section on some devices.
    • [Mobile] Preplay: display thumbnails of extra elements correctly.
    • [Mobile] Preplay: ensure that share action is visible in all scenarios.
    • [TV] Watchlist: posters on empty state were cut off
    • [TV] App could crash trying to open some external streaming services.
    • [TV] Search: app could crash after performing a voice search.
    • [TV] Preplay: interacting with Popular Tracks section could result in a crash.
    • [TV] Feed: the go to profile overflow option was not available on activities created by the current user.
    • [TV] Search: focus could get lost when moving between keyboard keys.
    • [TV] Focus could get lost after displaying empty Watchlist screen.
    • [TV] Preplay: app could crash trying to display some preplay pages.
    • [TV] Activity feed focus indicator would disappear when navigating to a user profile.
    • [TV] Companion: introduce a setting to advertise the app as a player.

gyrene2083 likes this.
  4. gyrene2083

gyrene2083 Member

Just waiting for my new Z9xpro to come in, curious to know is there a specific firmware everyone is using to get this working with Plex? As I have read about issues with .62 I was curious about what everyone on here using Plex is using.

5. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Yes it would, and it means I won't be upgrading to a new Zidoo device :(

Plex just mops the floor with HT4, IMO. Especially in terms of scraping, movie management, etc. It is also faster to navigate on my z9X than HT4. I would give HT4 the slight edge in terms of the movie details screen layout, but the effort to maintain your library in HT4 is significantly more than Plex. I can't remember the last time Plex miss identified a movie, didn't process it correctly, etc. With HT4 its a crapshoot for me, evertime media is added.

6. trafficlightslave

As of now, it appears this is unusable on the new Zidoo models

7. trafficlightslave

Found a workaround that seems to be working just about as well as Plex for the Z9x Pro. Set up Emby, and used the Emby to Kodi addon via ZDMC set up in native mode. This pulls the library from Emby in real-time and with SMB direct paths set up in Emby, it plays using the Zidoo player perfectly. Only thing missing is the played status/in progress status showing in ZDMC, however since the Zidoo player is direct playing the specific file, it will remember where you left off.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

for those of you that keep using the latest updates of Plex, please tell us if you notice that the themes start to works again. :)

10. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

So I've been trying to find a way for this to work on the new models but I haven't been able to find a way. I don't have one of the new models so it's hard to test but I've been using my google chromecast as a test and nothing so far has worked to allow the mobile version. But I did potentially find a way to use a modified version of the plex-for-kodi(https://github.com/plexinc/plex-for-kodi) addon along with the PlexToZidoo app. Is anyone willing to work with me on doing some testing with the new models? I have it working on my Z9X but need someone to test on the new models. It would involve installing Kodi, a modified version of the plex-for-kodi addon and an updated version of PlexToZidoo. If you're interested please DM me.

gyrene2083 and techos like this.
  11. techos

techos Member

I've sent you a DM on this. Perfect timing as I was just about to return my Z9X Pro!

gyrene2083 and bowlingbeeg like this.
  12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

guys anyone here sharing a virtual drive (rclone) through smb? trying to keep my Zidoo Z9X since I moved from Unraid to Real Debrid and Plex Debrid, now using the Shield Pro but would be nice to keep the Z9X.

13. trafficlightslave

Yep, works great

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

wtf, how haha? I keep getting this error message when trying to share it, I'm using Windows 11.

Attached Files:

15. trafficlightslave

You have to mount the drive as an administrator/or run rclone as a service

Gilgamesh likes this.
  16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

any guide on how to do it? thanks

17. trafficlightslave

Run the rclone mount command in an elevated command prompt window (right click CMD>Run as Administrator)

Gilgamesh likes this.
  18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

19. DarkySharky

DarkySharky New Member

Given how popular Plex is, I don't understand why Zidoo doesn't work with Plex to make sure it works perfectly on their hardware. It has by far the best UI and UX.

techos, lawdawg and Gilgamesh like this.
  20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

yeah that would have been something, atm I'm back to my Shield Pro as I can't use the Z9X atm, and will probably sell it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.