Occasional jerky/choppy playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 24, 2023.

1. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

yes that makes it very difficult to discover. I "imagine" to see way less jerk/stutter on the .80.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Last time I saw it was late December - I only know that because @Sledgehamma managed to capture it in a debug log, we were talking about it, and I know I hadn't seen it since then.

darky_zidoo likes this.
  3. How often did you pause the movie and how long was the movie?

4. ANIMATEK

ANIMATEK New Member

I just watched a 2h20m long film and had to pause it 3 times, and just yesterday I installed the .75 version to get rid of the other frame-skipping bug (the one with TrueHD audio).
    The Z9X Pro is not cheap by any means, this is sadly beyond unacceptable, even for a tinkerer tech-savvy consumer.
    I’ll be ordering the Shield tomorrow for testing. I am afraid I’d need to return my Zidoo if they don’t get this fixed real soon. Shame, I kinda had great hopes for this box.

5. limitz

limitz Member

Shield Pro is even worse for smooth playback, especially on 4k DV remux. "Fixing" it is a hell of a lot more than a simple pause and unpause. Try an entire device reboot.

Not enough RAM, probably a memory leak, underpowered fan (thermal throttling), inaccurate colors (red push), and just too old. I own 2x Shield Pros and they have the same issues. A 3rd Shield Pro came DOA/bricked and I returned that one. Anecdotal of course, but the Nvidia name by no means makes it perfect.

Shield has great codec compatability and a snappy interface. Works well enough for SDR and 4K encodes, but it chokes *hard* on high-bitrate remux.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  6. ANIMATEK

ANIMATEK New Member

I have a Samsung S95B so I don’t care about DV. I do however watch remuxes, preferably with HDR10Plus. Is there any other box you would recommend? I am testing!

7. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

you could always downgrade to the super stable z9x range

8. ANIMATEK

ANIMATEK New Member

Thank you for your answer. I know that I’m in the Zidoo forums, so unbiased opinions are not to be expected. However recommending the last-gen product (of any kind), just because it has fewer bugs, seems like a bad start.

I would love to keep this box, but I cannot be expected to beta-test it while paying almost 300€ for it. I cannot really support that.

I didn’t know that the Shield struggled with high bitrates. I will be looking into CodeELEC and see what I can get from their recommendations.

9. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

this gen is just a minor update on the last gen
    i think with covid and the loss of a major chip making plant ,there was a huge hole in develpment of new chipsets ,so realtek dropped this minor update as a gapstop filler

if you dont like this gen AND want the BEST box on the market ,then the last gen boxes are your best choice
    Then f/w is super stable
    The playback is top notch (this range is a slight improvement only)

ALL media boxes out there are basiccly beta test boxes ...they all have been since even the early days and WDHD tv boxes

10. Pete B

Pete B Member

For what it's worth, I have a Z9X (not the Pro) and this intermittent-jerky-playback-following-a-pause-or-stop-then-resume affects the Z9X too (my experience in post 97 of this thread refers to this).

I'm aware that others haven't experienced this behaviour with either a Z9X or Z9X Pro. It's a rarity but it does happen.

11. limitz

limitz Member

If not Zidoo, I would get a modern Homatics/Dune/Nokia/Rocktek box with AndroidTV 11 support so its most like the Shield Pro. They all share the same Amlogic S905X4-K SOC, which is quite capable. The Dune Premier 4K Pro looks quite nice.

You could also try the new Dune 8K Pro which uses Amlogic S928X-K/J SOC and has VS10 as well.

I would avoid r_volution/Zappiti. They just rebrand the original Chinese boxes and upcharge 2-3x more and also try to charge an annual subscription to unlock more "features". Egregious. For instance their PlayerOne uses the RTD1619DR SOC which is the same as the Z9X, but 3x more expensive.

12. KJC

KJC Member

@Markswift2003 What's wrong with Zidoo team? so many unfixed issues are there. Its really annoying....When will the choppy playback issue get fixed?

13. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Be a little more patient upto new firmware arrival from Zidoo team which are just back from their Chinese New Year. Once you've got a DV capable TV, you'll love it as we do. ;)

14. Markswift2003

The thing is this issue is a rare occurance - it doesn't happen in day to day usage, just very occasionally.

So if you're having regular playback issues then that's most likely an environment problem and not a Zidoo one.

That's why I originally took this thread off sticky - because people were reporting issues that had nothing to do with what I originally described which simply muddies the waters.

xskip likes this.
  15. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

As stated I think the issue was on the Z9X as well. I don't think you can ever expect absolutely perfect playback all the time with any media box. This specific issue only happens occasionally and is easily fixed and TBH I never reported it previously as it didn't really bother me too much. I agree that firmwares are not coming out at the rate they used too and we know that is because of focus on their Eversolo range. All things considered my Z9X Pro meets my needs with a few minor issues. Yes I will be biased as I always try to look to the positive of a new firmware. Can't comment on other media boxes as don't have them - but I'm sure they have their own set of issues!

Sometimes its just a matter of the devil you know!

16. Markswift2003

I don't think I've ever seen this issue on the Z9X and I still use one in my cinema.

17. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I maybe misremembering - it was awhile ago!

18. Pete B

Pete B Member

I have a Z9X (not the Pro) and I've seen it on 5 of my 4K MKV's with Dolby Vision.

19. Markswift2003

Got to be honest, I've been helping develop this box since lockdown before it was released and I've never seen this particular issue as described in the first post once.

The BPD SOC is the first time I've come across it, so I have to conclude it's not an issue with the DR SOC.

20. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Very strange...FWIW, I have never seen this issue on any of my 4K DV files with my Z9x...files fed from WD MyCloudEX2 Ultra NAS ... caveat being that I am using VS10 to SDR for all content? Not certain if video output parameters would make any difference in these scenarios though... so many variables with everyone's setups makes it very difficult to pin down I am sure....

Pete B likes this.