New version 1.2.50/1.2.80 for DMP-A6/DMP-A8 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by mirror, Jan 31, 2024.

1. surr3a1

surr3a1 Member

2024-04-29 12.17.59.jpg

Got really tired with loosing all sound when switching to Spotify connect from another streaming service.
    Update went smoothly and the device booted and Tidal started playing. Switching to Spotify Connect from the PC app was almost instant and this time it worked with sound.
    Strange that I tried the exact same thing before that and lost the Spotify sound even though the screen was showing the correct song and everything... but no sound.
    After the update the device was back on Tidal as if my Spotify connect from before never happened!

2. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

Totally agree

Alan Rutlidge and Webkemmi like this.
  3. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

I agree it's not much of an effort on the part of an experienced coder to implement such features such as the VU meters and the spectrum display, but if as you say it's not much effort how come the spectrum display is only efffective for one channel and not the other? BTW, for complete transparency I couldn't code these features if my life depended on it.

What I have noticed is my DMP-A6 music search feature and displaying album art covers has slowed down considerably since many of these cosmetic features and others have been added to the OS, so much so a track can be playing for more than two minutes before the artwork is displayed / updated that corresponds to the track currently been played. :mad: Also I think there might be a track capacity limit of the search by artist function. Since adding another couple of thousand tracks to the library (it now has 33,000+ tracks) the search function can't find some of the added tracks or entire albums when searched "by Artist" even though they are tagged with the same tagging editor and use the same tagging format??? Very strange behaviour which nobody seems to have an explanation for. o_O Once again for context, all the music is stored on an internally installed 4TB SSD.

Look, I totally get some users will find some features and functions 100% on the top of their want list whilst others may never use some of the aforementioned at all. However, I can't help but think some of these added features are eating into the capability of the processor and bogging it down. Somewhat like trying to run too many processes on a PC with too slow a CPU and not enough memory.

Desmodromic likes this.
  4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

You mention that the system seems sluggish, have you tried turning off the auto update of sources setting, does this have any influence ?

5. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Yes. It is turned off.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Where in the settings menu is the "auto update" setting?

7. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I find it via Home Screen, Music icon, Settings Cog upper right, left menu under Scan. Don't think it is visible in the android version of the control app.

8. AudioNerd

AudioNerd New Member

Ah yes. This is why I hate forums.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

I'm not seeing it. If I go to the iOS app home screen there is a "Music" tab but no icon. If I click on the "Music" tab there is no settings cog on the upper right. To me the home screen on the app is the page that shows all six tabs Source, Music, Files, Streaming, Cast and Settings.

10. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I should have been more explicit. You won't find it in the outside app, only on the device itself or using the Cast function.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Thanks. But I still can find that setting. I had already tried the display and casting with no luck.

12. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

That interior setting inside the Music section has been there since the A6 was launched, so I am mystified why you can't find it. On the device touchscreen itself, hit the Home Screen button so you see the Music to Settings icons left to right, When you press Music, it enters its first Index page, you should see Library and Settings Cog icons top right. That Cog is what you want, it opens up the Music Settings which has multiple pages, you want the Scan page. I suppose if you don't see the Index screen when you first press Music then you won't see these icons, but it always opens on that page for me. If it opens on say Artists or Albums then you won't see the icons, so find the Index page using the left hand pop out menu >>. I assume you haven't changed the size of display fonts or the like which could push parts of the display offscreen is the only other thing I can think of.

13. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

After more playing around, there is a way in which the first Index page of Music could have been turned off and hence no Settings Cog visible, And wait for it, it involves that very same Settings Cog Menu. There is another page other than Scan called Display which has as its first entry Navigation Pane. This defines which pages are displayed inside the Music icon on the left hand side menu. If at any stage the Index toggle switch on this Pane has been turned OFF, and you navigate back out to Music and come in again, then Index page will have vanished. You cannot get it back as the option to restore it is inside the Settings Cog which only appears on the Index page itself ! I just did this to see whether Index would dissappear, it did and no apparent way to get it back along with that Settings Cog icon. So implemented the Factory Reset, firmware version remains at current but any music library you had will need to be rebuilt from scratch. The good news is the first Index page inside Music is now back along with that Settings Cog icon. So the moral of the story is beware of turning off the Index page, leave the Navigation Pane options alone. Hope this is the solution for you.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Just read this and no offense but now you see why I wasn't seeing this settings cog menu. So it's good you're no longer mystified. No way I'm doing a factory reset to see a setting that so far has no effect on the performance of my DMP-A6. When you say the music library will need to be rebuilt do you mean the library on the internal 4TB SSD?

I have no recall of turning off the index page and would have had no reason to turn it off unless there was a reason to. Thanks for going to all that work but again feel I'm not missing any settings I need.

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

No offense, but it is still a mistery to me, now, why you do not see the cog-wheel havong not changed the visibility of the index page...

P.S.
    There is no pain in doing a factory reset, apart from having to do a library build again. It will rescan intertnal memory and the installed NVMe (if any) to re-create the music database.
    It will taske some time, depending on the number of files you have.|
    I do suggest you disable the library auto-update (if you have it enabled), as it will save you a lot of headakes during the library scan.

16. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The music library database will vanish if you do a Factory Reset, along with any playlists and artist images that you may have loaded, also any APKs you may have sideloaded, general settings like eversolo original engine sampling rates etc will also go back to the beginning. The music files and folders will not be erased, they will still be there on your SSD. You just have to do the music library rebuild after the reset if you want to see sorted artists, albums etc. I agree this may not be worth the bother to get back that Index screen and it's Settings Cog. After I did the Factory Reset, I noted that the autoupdate of sources toggle was OFF, so you can assume it is OFF even if you can't see it. This is definately different to when I received my A6 last summer on early firmware, then the autoupdate was ON and I had to find this Settings submenu to turn it off. So a suggestion to the Eversolo dev team, please don't allow the user to accidentally remove the Index page or maybe move the Settings Cog entirely, perhaps a subset of the main Settings section.

Bergholdt and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

So my question is what actually am I missing? My DMP-A6 is working perfectly. So I see no need to do factory reset if what I'm missing is access to a setting that isn't effecting anything.

So regarding the "cog wheel" which I do see when casting. Right now I'm playing a file from the SSD and that's showing. I touch the "disc" icon in the top right and it shows the tracks from the album. I hit the "disc" icon again it goes back to the track playing.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Thanks for that information. This might be strange to some but I haven't built any type of library or sideloaded any APKs. In all honesty I have no idea what APKs are or what sideloading is. I play files off the SSD (4TB), attached WD hard drive (5TB) and stream Qobuz. So my use of the DMP-A6 is by some to be as basic as it gets. That's fine with me.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  19. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

All OK, you are running your music direct from the stored files rather than the music library database, no problems with that. Just for information purposes, I thought I would list the features on that first Index page of Music accessed via the Settings Cog. There are 4 subpages as follows :

Play 1. Allow skipping playback when in sequential mode
    2. Allow folder skipping when in seq mode
    3. Allow playlist skipping when in seq mode
    4. Auto play queue on startup
    5. Enter playback interface once playing is started

Scan 1. Local or network matching
    2, priority local image
    3. Do not scan files under 500 kb
    4. Auto updating of sources !!
    5. Scan music format for files, lots of file types can be included or not

Display 1. Navigation menu, toggles for all pages inside Music
    [Index, Tracks, Artists, Albums, Genres, Playlists, My]
    2. Display playback details background image

General 1. Backup and Restore to user specified subdirectories
    2. Reset music library
    3. Clear cache

So a lot of settings here, some are duplicated elsewhere in the main Settings section, but some are not. Just for information.

Matild and Bill Mac like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

That's a lot of settings. Fortunately they are more for library use which I'm not using but might in the future. Thanks for taking the time to list all of the pertinent settings!