New Linear Power supply upgrade for DMP A-6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You're not alone, FWIW... ;-)

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Power supply noise , if it were there would be audible but if we examine the plot…-150dB typically a human may be able to hear distortion about -60dB using music as programme and slightly more with a pure tone.
    This talk of digital noise is just technical ignorance or more likely someone trying to sell you something.
    Keith

RolandG and Nutul like this.
  3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

There is a good dose of indoctrination, IMO... People keep on thinking that power noise nowadays is like it was 40 years ago (and even then, good equipment was already fine at suppressing it...).
    This thing keeps going, despite there are measurements that indeed DO SHOW such noise, but also tell that it is at a so low level that it is NON-AUDIBLE to the human ear.
    But the "schooled" ones know that a power cleaner can do better. And they do hear the difference. And the more the power-cleaner is expensive, the more the difference is audible... go figure.
    These people cannot sleep at night, IMO, because they hear mice farting in the basement, 10 stories below.

Ols, RolandG and Purité Audio like this.
  4. Purité Audio

Just a little technical knowledge would stop people being ripped off and drive the charlatans out of the industry.
    Keith

RolandG likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes, but explain to me why humans can fairly easily hear the improved effect using femto clocks. :rolleyes:

Just compared my A6 Silver with a new A8 and again it was very audible to me and the lucky owner of the A8. Compared with my Zidoo Neo X the difference was gone.

6. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

In the film "Passengers", the main male character sits in a bar, with an android bartender. He says, that his cryo chamber had a malfunction and that's why he is awake and sitting in the bar. The bartender says that the cryo chambers never failed and will never fail. The protagonist says "But why am i sitting here then?". The android says "You are not sitting here".
    Figuratively, that means "You cannot hear, what can not be measured". Some people believe this, some don't. :)

Ols likes this.
  7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You're sooo right Keith.

8. Purité Audio

Yup a belief, that’s exactly right.
    Keith

9. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

A high quality hand crafted leather handbag can be purchased for, let's say 500€. You can also purchase a similar quality handbag with an exclusive brand name on it for 5000€. Are these people being ripped off? I don't think so. They can most often afford it and they are happy with their decision to own it. Why would anyone try to convince them that they are being ripped off. I said that before in one of my first messages in the forum, you create a need or demand for something and then you satisfy it, that's how our western economies work. I refuse to recognize a reprehensible behaviour, when doing this. Nobody forces the people to buy highly expensive audio equipment that is sold with false promises. It's in the buyers responsibility and interest to obtain the knowledge and information needed to make an appropriate decision. If he doesn't do that he is just consuming and trying desperately to spend his money, he has plenty of.

JamOne likes this.
  10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You are somehow right, Rick, but there is a tiny difference, IMHO, between (a) buying a luxury handbag which is exactly the same as a non branded one but costs 10x more for the simple reason that you like it and can afford it, and (b) buying it because somebody tells you - and you believe it - it is bigger, stronger, nicer, its leather is more refined, will last more, etc. etc. as this is false information perpetrated - aka legal fraud in out "hobby",
    You may excuse me for using bigger/stronger/nicer, as sounds better is not exactly why you would chose a leather bag rather than another. ;)

RolandG and _Richard_ like this.
  11. RolandG

RolandG Member

No, it is the seller’s responsibility to not lie!

Or would you suggest to throw any consumer protection regulation out the window? Sellers are allowed to do whatever they want as long as Caveat emptor is observed?

12. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

No, i would not. Calm down, man.

13. RolandG

RolandG Member

Don’t try to guess anyone's state of mind. You’re not good at it.

14. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

:) fu

15. RolandG

RolandG Member

Reported.

16. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

[/QUOTE]

I've been on this quest of noise reduction and so far these have improved the sound quality:
    - 2 iFi SilentPower Supanova power cables with active noise cancellation for the amplifier and DAC.
    - 2 Cardas Parsec RCA cables (DAC Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 --> Cardas --> Parasound 2100 preamp --> Cardas --> amp)

This week, a new amplifier NAD C298 at 185 wpc (similar to NAD M23, 200 wpc) will replace my Parasound 2125v2 at 150 wpc (love it but I'll repurpose it to power my surround L/R channels in my mixed use music/movies 7.4.4 setup).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  17. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Any thoughts on, let’s call it, preamp performance with the LPSU ?

18. Purité Audio

I've been on this quest of noise reduction and so far these have improved the sound quality:
    - 2 iFi SilentPower Supanova power cables with active noise cancellation for the amplifier and DAC.
    - 2 Cardas Parsec RCA cables (DAC Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 --> Cardas --> Parasound 2100 preamp --> Cardas --> amp)

This week, a new amplifier NAD C298 at 185 wpc (similar to NAD M23, 200 wpc) will replace my Parasound 2125v2 at 150 wpc (love it but I'll repurpose it to power my surround L/R channels in my mixed use music/movies 7.4.4 setup).[/QUOTE]
    No they haven’t improved anything, and if you understood measurements and their implication you would realise this.
    Keith

19. Qwin

Qwin New Member

I have the A6 ME with Beatechnik LMPS (Delivered 1st wk Jan 2024).
    After a couple of months use, I took it to a local HiFi meet and put it through my Pass Labs XP-12 Pre (balanced), into a pair of Neurochrome 686 Monoblocks (balanced) and Canton CT1000 speakers.
    The vibe on the day, was how great the Monoblocks and Speakers were. The sound was awesome, big sound stage with pin point imaging, out of an inky Black background, non sibilant high's, great timber and the bass was physical.
    The fact that no one mentioned the front end at the time, says volumes about how good it was. It just got on with the job, with no discernible faults or artefacts.
    In a later write up, it was just noted that the front end performed flawlessly.
    The Eversolo A6 ME + LMPS is a damn fine set up, the rest of your gear has to be of a very high standard, before it becomes the weakest link, which is all anyone should really be concerned about. It has good connectivity and a superb interface. If only it was available in Silver to....
    Tonally the demo'd set up was full, rich and dynamic, not at all bright or forward at the top, as has been suggested in comments elsewhere.
    It all comes down to synergy within any given system, I for one am a happy bunny, I just ordered a pair of those Monoblocks to get the most out of my A6, which will be a keystone in my system for some time to come.

20. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Just bear in mind that the whole thing might sound differently in your room.