New firmware v1.2.10 for DMP-A6 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by mirror, Oct 13, 2023.

1. HovingtoN

HovingtoN New Member

Yes, I suppose it is an oversight, they will correct it, makes no sense to not have the spectrum included in the info button loop.

2. HovingtoN

HovingtoN New Member

That is weird, neither seems random to me in their behaviour.

the only thing is the zero mark is at the wrong place on the vu meter, should be something like +3 at the end of the red line, and the 0 should be at the beginning of the red line.

But still, they are not random light shows

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Peter Wallop likes this.
  3. guus

guus Member

i agree with BarHan

4. Peter Wallop

Peter Wallop Active Member

Ah, the 80’s - withdrawing a vinyl LP from the Public Library with such high hopes:), attempting to remove that unknown, but distinctly dubious, sticky substance :oops: on Side-2, tracks 3-5; not to mention the 20g of toenails and unknown fluff adhering to aforementioned sticky substance. All whilst deluding myself that those scratches would be fine and then, at last, recording it on to a TDK-SA (my precious) Cassette Tape using a Nakamichi Deck. Of course, attempting to hold my breath (as breathing could ruin the recording:confused:) was obligatory. Watching those VU’s dance o_Oto Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow Rising like an OCD Hawk …. and despairing at the hiss, crackle and general awfulness of the final result :eek:! Lord, I love streaming progress and the A6!:D

Anyway, though I haven’t attempted test signals, the VU’s appear pretty much spot-on as far as balance/timing is concerned in my system - could discrepancies in ‘needle’ activity vs. sound be amp, interconnect, cable timing related?

Good news about the Pygmies - though I hear that, in true 80’s fashion, they’re now on strike;)

Boxa and kc001 like this.
  5. kc001

kc001 Active Member

lol :)
    lol :)

same here
    as mentioned multiple times

6. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they are pretty well much a gimmick. Try playing back a 1kHz steady test tone signal. The "needles" in the meters wave back and forth as if vibrating. This is not how a VU meter should indicate the level at such a high frequency as 1kHz. 5 or 10Hz maybe, but not 1kHz. Playing back a 0dBfs test tone does not show as 0 on the meters. It's not correct at -3dBfs, -10dBfs nor -20dBfs either.
    The scales don't go above 0 for a very good reason. It's a digital streamer, not an analogue device. The highest level a digital signal can go is 0dBfs, after which you simply run out of bits to encode the peak level to (speaking in layperson's terms so most people can understand the concept). Anything higher would simply hard clip the peaks of the waveform and the result would be very audible distortion.

7. kc001

kc001 Active Member

did you actually try that?

8. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Yes, out of idle curiosity some months back when I first purchased my DMP-A6, and verified it was still the same under V1.2.10 firmware. Source was WAV files at various sampling rates and bit depths generated by CoolEdit Pro
    I'm not in the habit of making stuff up.

9. kc001

kc001 Active Member

didn't think you were
    you mean these?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Nutul likes this.
  10. HovingtoN

HovingtoN New Member

I know about the 0 dbfs, but they used vu meters with a red line going over zero but tricked the meter graduation at the end.

It looks weird, and it will never go to 0 even if it should, the graduation is just wrong.

it seems to the go up to where the 0 should be, but not beyond, which is ok as you said by the 0 dbfs max, but the way it is indicated in the meter itself doesn’t match that.

11. kc001

kc001 Active Member

yes, you are right and its indeed 'like epileptic pygmies at a rave party ' lol :)
    (no sound in the video)

Peter Wallop and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  12. HovingtoN

HovingtoN New Member

It is not that off, just a little wiggling, in normal listening content, it is working fine, won’t be an issue.
    I guess they could do a more accurate job. But we are not using this to record anything.

It is good enough for music playing.

Nutul, OffRoad and kc001 like this.
  13. TomBa

TomBa Member

can someone else download 1.2.12 OTA on the device? It has the DSD fix included.

BTW. was discussing the VU Meter and Spectrum Meter topic with their dev. They will check what can be done for a more realistic behavior.

I know that people complain about things like these but the point is, it has been implemented, even if it's not behaving now correctly, it can be adjusted in the future with our help from the community. Looking forward ...

Peter Wallop and Nutul like this.
  14. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

I’m not able to. Is there a link to the downloadable file?

15. TomBa

TomBa Member

so it seems to be a next beta package that has been sent to my A6. The will send the update once finished and checked

16. Bergholdt

OK. That makes sense. I’m not a beta tester :)

17. Muschy66

Muschy66 New Member

Everything is great Thank you very much now SACD ISO Super runs with VU or Spectrum
    Thank you, great shop
    The new firmware works great

18. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Spizz likes this.
  19. Bergholdt

20. Inti

Inti Active Member

It’s worse it’s Alpha