Master Edition

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Noerjew, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Hannibal_

Hannibal_ Member

good question. I think there are lots of different reasons.

But SPDIF can sound superb. And it really isn’t difficult, you just need very good clocks and clean power.
    To be honest, I don’t think the higher bandwidth is a real benefit unless you use upsampling. And I am not a fan of that.
    there aren’t many studio’s that produce anything higher than 24/192 anyway, simply because their equipment is not capable of doing so (yet?)
    but for the future, who knows?

For me, I never had the opportunity to use USB before, my streamers did not support it.
    So I hooked up the solo on the cabling I had, the coax.
    Now on holiday but I ordered a USB cable that has arrived at home, I saw. So I am going to evaluate USB when I am back.
    Plan to hook it up on USB, Coax and analog. Just to be able to evaluate long term, so the initial “hyperfocus” of having something new, is managed a bit.

Some of my friends use SPDIF, simply because their DAC does not support USB. Another prefers the SPDIF above USB, because his DAC is older and USB is only that good since perhaps the last 5-10 years. But they love their DACs and don’t want to replace them (sometimes they were very expensive too and you know what that does to the brain).
    Again others want to use optical, because of the intrinsic decoupling. I am less fond of that, because 24/192 is even hard to reach on optical sometimes. Depending on equipment, bitrates and cables.

last: USB had a reputation of being noisy in the past. Some people have that stuck in their mind and for that reason, the idea, alone don’t use it. No matter what progress has been made.

I am truely curious how the USB interface is going to function, btw.
    On SPDIF the unit sounds soo good! Unbelievable!
    If it is even going to be better, OMG, than I’ll take the next holiday directly, just to listen to all my music again ;)

in my fifties too ;)

Nutul likes this.
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes famous old(er) DAC's used to be really expensive. Many recent tests show they mostly are beaten by the latest generation Sabre or AKM based DAC's with a good analog design, femto clocks and a good/analog PSU. These at (very) affordable prices
    USB became viable after introduction of an intermediate processor now mostly based on XMOS/Amanero.

Being familiar with the old sound and nostalgia of the money those costed may be a reason to still keep them via SPDIF/AES (30 years old) as common in those days . :rolleyes:
    I do still see very expensive DAC's/Streamers with huge dito expensive External PSU being loved. NAIM is a good example of this. Those often still having a Burr Brown (now TI) of currently 2 Euro at its core. Really nice DAC 30 years ago but not really today. More relevant the precision of oscillators improved a lot over the years with the now famous Accusillicon femto clocks at the top. :eek:

For those getting a Gold version.: give it adequate time listening to it using the really excellent internal DAC.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  3. Hannibal_

Hannibal_ Member

yep the illusion of quality is often created by price indeed.
    But one should not underestimate the importance of the analogue implementation of a DAC but still…

i am not into naim but heard the new , wat was it? 200 series?
    It was okay but not overwhelming (but in a demo room with more people what makes it hard too, so let’s not jump to conclusions). They also demoed that PSU, in that setting there sure was no improvement.

So you buy a 7000+€ streamer/pre with 7000+ € amp and still need an, indeed again 7000+€ , PSU?

I think they use standard prices :D

Don’t get me wrong, I am a supporter of good clean PSU’s but that is a bit over the top in my book.

It is of course a good way to make the money of the riches flow in the economy ;)

Nutul likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

My Zidoo Neo X has by far the most advanced DAC design from the Eversolo/Zidoo stable including the analog section. But must admit can't really hear the difference between the Neo X and the Neo Alpha. The last one is close to the Eversolo DAC Z8 but having an analog PSU (The Neo X even has 2 analog PSU's).

Hannibal_ likes this.
  5. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Do you think the Eversolo Z8 would have been better with a linear PSU instead of the switching power PSU?

6. Nice Monkey

Lets say an ample linear PSU never harms. Swapped myself some switched mode PSU's with an oversized Linear PSU and frankly could not hear any real difference. It is now stored. But also my switched mode PSU's are always ample in size, the one in DMP-A6 is also well dimensioned. A well sized PSU should run maximum at 50% during peak load.

So my verdict it is not the most critical component but a superior unit should get one for the analog/DAC section. A switched mode deals better with varying load while an linear mode is perfect with a constant load.

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

As far as the noise (if any) generated by the PSU is below the acknowledged threshold of hearing, it should make no difference in the listening experience.
    Again, some units have far higher distortion levels than the noise (eventually) induced by their PSUs... My Z8 is DEAD SILENT when there is no music, albeit it has a switching (accoeding to Eversolo a "very low-noise" one) PSU.
    Could an analog (linear) PSU make any improvement? Yes, but... will it be audible? Nope. At least to human ears (to measuring instruments, well, yes)

Nice Monkey likes this.
  8. vekanoid

vekanoid New Member

"Better" op-amp doesn't mean necessary better sound. Each op-apm has specific sound character. I expiremented a lot with various op-amps in my Violetric V800 DAC (easy swappable not soldered op-amps), and I found sometimes cheaper op-amp just sounds better to my ears and my setup. Basically, that means Master Edition doesn't sounds better. It sounds different (warmer with more bass, and little more rounded highs). Is that better for every system? Of course not. If your system sounds thin, ME is a go, if your system has big warm sound, standard edition is better match. Personaly I like more defined sound with tighter and more controlled bass and more highs. For example my system already have huge bass with already roudned highs, so I don't won't that to pair with warm source. For me, standard edition just sounds better then ME. Same story as you Noerjew and I think you did right thing, because standard edtion just match better in your setup.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    Werther44210 and Nutul like this.
  9. Watertower

Watertower New Member

I also have the Master Edition (latest firmware), connected to my Proton D1200 power amp (+35 years old).
    I replaced the Proton P1100 Pre-amp and a Burson DA 160 DAC and use the Master as Streamer, DAC and Pre-amp now.
    Sounds great!
    Even on my Translator Reference speakers (also +35 years old).

Hannibal_ likes this.
  10. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

That is exactly what I think. After more than two month of using normal edition, I just ordered a Master edition. I going to compare them face to face and then decide which one to keep. Or maybe will keep both as two separate systems.

vekanoid and Hannibal_ like this.
  11. Inti

Inti Active Member

Hi I’m almost sure it’s dependent on the amp and speakers and cables the hole setup if the sound quality is better with the Master Edition ore Standard version
    Warm sound ore bright it’s up to what kind off sound you looking for it’s 80% your setup and 20% the A6 Streamer only my 2 cents worth and opinion
    It’s only Love for the Music that matters!!!

AndrewS and Nutul like this.
  12. Hannibal_

Hannibal_ Member

Comparison Standard Solo & Master Solo

Nice Monkey likes this.