Eversolo DMP A6 bad !

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Markus5673, Sep 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

Anyway, what`s the point of expressing writing in forums to unknown people around the world.

Philosophical...

2. audio58

audio58 Active Member

I am using the same tube Dac I had before using a PI 3B with a hat. The DMP-A6, opened the soundstage, tigher better bass and more detail overall. I found the SPDIF to work the best. My Dac has a USB input card but it just converts it into the Dac board in SPDIF. So I would check everything..I didn't change anything other than replace the PI. I was using a Cambridge CXN V2 before that, and then bought the tube Dac. I sold the cambridge as the PI 3B with the hat sounded better.
    My 2 cents worth.

3. Inti

Inti Active Member

Hi in my world everyone have the right to criticize the Eversolo if they don’t agree or like it it’s not the issue here it’s the way you treat the people and your English is as good as mine like I said before English is not my language to I’m Danish in a English spoken forum

4. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

So other new prospective buyers who come here on this forum get a better more rounded pool of opinions to help them figure out their decisions on whether to buy, try, or not.

Coming to a forum only to place true or miraculous hype on a product is simply being a lemming, like joining a cult. I simply do not understand people on forums who can't handle hearing something potentially negative about their babies. Sometimes the truth is not positive.

The fact about the A6 is that, its a very nice piece for for the price. Throwing the opinions regarding SQ to the side for a moment, the A6 needs a LOT of work when it comes to firmware, and ease of operation. Its half baked. If its still the best streamer out there in those terms, then all other streamers are less than half baked at best.

As for the OP and his way of writing, I'm just going to stay out of it. Not worth butting heads with a crotchety German. My ancestry for generations back is basically all German, so I know. ;)

5. kc001

kc001 Active Member

actually, it was a question of practicality just not expressed correctly.

I mean, say you want a car.
    You like an Audi, so you go buy that audi but you eventually find you don't like how it drives. You return/exchange/sell it and buy a Lexus. And start enjoy driving.
    You don't go to the Audi forum posting how the Lexus drives better than the Audi .. in Japanese .. get my point?

Peter Wallop and Inti like this.
  6. TomBa

TomBa Member

This pointless discussion is almost unbearable…
    Guys listen to the gear you want. Sell it if you are not happy with and stick with your old / more expensive stuff. But please stop bashing here around.

7. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

I think some people re missing the point. There's a difference between constructive or observational critique and outright product bashing.
    If someone wants to express their opinion in a non-disingenuous way I'm happy to read it even if I disagree with it either in part or in full. Everyone is going to see the world from their own perspective and I respect their experiences with a particular product might not parallel mine or even come close. We all have different audio setups and we all have different preferences so we aren't comparing apples with apples rather apples mixed with other things. Let's take a food example. I can't abide by raw Granny Smith apples. I think they taste way too tart for my liking but stewed and baked into a pie they are heaven.

In my humble opinion we are also creatures of habit. Many of us have become accustomed to the sound of our existing audio components in our systems. When we introduce something new it's a possibility that we may dislike the sound of it or fall instantly in love with it. Often if the dislike is very minor we initially tolerate it and it's possible over time we "warm" to it and its virtues may outshine its imperfections. Allow me to elaborate from a personal perspective.

I was attracted to the DMP-A6 based on its functions and features and I purchased the device unheard which is pretty rare for me to do. I did do a fair bit of pre-purchase research on it and the general consensus was it was a good product with ongoing support and priced attractively based on what you got for your money. I was becoming somewhat fatigued with my existing arrangement of streaming music from my NAS and other sources having to boot up a PC and a tablet et al. The DMP-A6 seemed like the ideal solution so I purchased the standard edition, equipped it with an internal 4TB SSD card and transferred all my digital music to it.

I tried the DMP-A6 in various configurations. Using its internal DAC directly to my power amps using the balanced XLR outputs; via SPDIF to my CEC DX-71 Mk2 DAC and via HDMI to several of my AVRs just to get an idea of the sound quality between the different configurations. All seemed okay except for the HDMI configuration. The DMP-A6 wouldn't output DSD or multichannel PCM to one of the AVRs even though this AVR works perfectly over HDMI with other sources. It appears it's possibly a HDMI EDID handshaking issue with the DMP-A6 which doesn't exist with all the other HDMI devices connected to it. With another AVR it's possible to get DSD64 to work in 2 channel mode from the DMP-A6 but not multichannel DSD mode even though this 2nd AVR works perfectly well with other sources. Obviously, there are some issues that hopefully will resolved with future firmware upgrades, and if so will make this quite a good value for money streamer.

Konstantin13 likes this.
  8. TomBa

TomBa Member

@Alan Rutlidge the HDMI MCH issue should be fixed. I was working with the dev team and they fixed it. I have the beta installed and the issue is gone. I can play DSD or MCH flac or SACD MCH DSD on mreceiver via HDMI. So don’t worry about that. The new version will bring a lot of improvements. But no idea when they will release it.

Bonzo and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  9. Alan Rutlidge

@TomBa Thank you for the heads up. :) Looking forward to the new firmware release.

10. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

This is excellent news! Perhaps you could post this in the other thread about the impending update so its more relevant to others.

This thread is, um, hmm, well, not exactly the best place for positivity.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. TomBa

TomBa Member

I did it in the main thread with hdmi and multichannel output several days ago when it was fixed by the update

Bonzo likes this.
  12. Dark_Turban

Dark_Turban Member

@Alan Rutlidge

Absolutely, absolutely guilty as charged. I have a terrible habit of speaking unspecifically sometimes. In my head I know I am being general in nature but face that people will take my words literally.

I totally said "I do know a select number of manufacturers do burn in prior to vending." And what I should have said "I have encountered a number of manufacturers..." because...I honestly have! But then came the margin call from you - oh really, do share. And then I went looking, truly I did. Speaker manufacturers were easy to find it for - but that's a different beast entirely. Cabling manufacturers as well, but that's a different & quite radioactive subject matter entirely. Then looked at a number component manufacturers I was familiar with which would have been relevant but I couldn't find official documented recommendations on burn in. At that point it occurred to me that the majority had come from forum discussions where makers were asked 'how long ' and responded with their recommends.

So instead of fessing up with a long winded clarification like I just did, I instead said to hell with it and provided McGowan waxing on why he can't fish in Alaska anymore because he's vegan before getting around to discussing his "beliefs" on what he thinks is going on with component burn in.

My hope was that others seeing that if someone with his long experience, technical knowledge and depth of personnel couldn't come up with a delta burn in graph for the objectivists of the world, then no one else would be likely to either!

Perpetrated fraud laid bare! I am thus.

But, this is why this is still an entirely pointless discussion topic. Nearly every objectivist I've run into (notice I am getting more careful with my words now) usually doesn't want to be convinced by the subjective opinion of another person that burn in is bona fide. They want the damn data.

Really I wonder if they would believe it for themselves if they experienced it or if they would just chalk it up to psychological accommodation? I dunno but they want that concrete quanta before they agree. Understood. An subjectivist in my opinion usually doesn't give a hoot if they can't prove it - they know it exists and that's all that matters.

Rarely have I seen a meeting of the minds on this debate and so I have come to find it as quite pointless - at least to me. I am convinced of burn in but can't prove it, so I will keep using it and not expect others to agree.

An expert? An authority? Hahaha. Not even close. Just a guy who likes listening to good gear and falls flat in every other respect. Smart enough to know how dumb I am.

My gifted audio author? Not even close again. My friend shared that with me from another forum about meter readers going to the 'nth' degree to establish veracity. It felt fitting to quote because it's another take on the schism I have encountered in this hobby. He's "gifted" solely imho because I personally thought it was crafted cleverly and with good humor. That's it Schmidt.

The forum wrath of which you misattributed to me, is finally you making an error instead yet another by me. If you notice the quotes, that wasn't me saying it, but the source I quoted & is not attributable to this discussion whatsoever.

Indeed I have no authority here, definitely can't summon wrath of any kind. Hell I don't know if anyone even digs what I have to blather on about!

Anyway Alan, I actually regretted my chippiness towards you right after I wrote my reply...and well before you called me on it. Just annoyed with this debate I loathe and let that get the better of me.

And oh yeah, burn in's still totally real.o_O

Mike Hanson likes this.
  13. Alan Rutlidge

Hey @Dark_Turban Thanks for your reply. It was indeed a good read and I totally appreciate your POV.

With respect to audio components that have mechanical moving parts (e.g. speakers and phono cartridges as typical examples) I have personally experienced a "working in" or "bedding in" change from new to sounding much better and more "fluid" after some time of use. I liken this to a similar ICE, gearbox, differential and brakes in a new car. However either from five and a half decades of serious interest in high quality audio or perhaps shear misfortune I've never noticed this in power amplifiers, tuners, equalisers, DACs or pre-amplifiers. :( If anything, given enough time performance actually degrades over time as the electronic components inside them age. The thing is these IME have always been readily measurable changes in either or all of at least the following parameters - gain, power output, distortion, frequency response, channel imbalance and noise; the causes of which are many.

Anyway it's clear that you are passionate about audio and that's something I admire and share. Perhaps not always from the same perspective but that's what makes life interesting. Geez, it would be as boring as bat sh1t if we just agreed 100% on everything. ;) Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your future posts. Cheers.

Mike Hanson likes this.
  14. Dark_Turban

Dark_Turban Member

@Alan Rutlidge

So this will be my last on this and then I will stand down on the matter. My personal subjective experience.

I have experienced the veracity of burn in with two net new Oppo flagship spinners and a brand new digital player (the brand of which I shall withhold).

In the case of the spinners, I listened out of the box to a track that I knew like braille, had it been burned onto my backside with a soldering iron. On first blush - cold, brash, dry, thin, unenjoyable, technically accurate but unmusical, no warmth, no swing or boogie (PRaT) and on and on. With a pink noise/frequency sweep disc I started the process and let it run with output to my Pre.

Once a week I would eject the disc, pop in the one I knew stone cold and listen. Still not objective but the best I could manage. With both spinners it was interesting that the appreciation of their musical presentation both evolved in the same way. First it lost the edgeiness, the dryness, the ice. It would be a little more musically cohesive. Separation, staging, depth, etc. were slowly getting better. But it still wasn't warm, didn't boogie, wasn't sweet or musical or emotional.

Process repeated over another week and then again and thus like dominoes the deficiencies would fall. Always the last one was the rhythmic correctness of PRaT, the aspect that would get your toe to tap & head to bob. Both of these spinners followed that progression.

For my music player I didn't have a white noise file loaded, only a different album that I also knew in my sleep. So I left it to repeat. So a SSD in lieu of a spun disc but still a DAC and output stage. Again, once a week I would connect my cans and listen. And wouldn't you know it, it followed the exact same progression - with the boogie & the emotional connection being the last things to arrive at the station.

I have noticed this with new speakers, with new interconnects, many things. I was listening sporadically in every case with the pink noise doing the work for days at a time, so how did my brain become used to the sound & thus trick it to think it was improving when it was not having a chance to become accustomed? The auditory stimulus never got a chance to boil the frog because my brain was never able to remember what I had previously heard - only what I was hearing at that moment.

And stranger still - if it was psychological accommodation through reinforcement was actually causal then why did all these disperate pieces of kit follow the exact same sonic improvement progression across components?

I either had the weirdest brain on the planet...OR...I was actually discerning something. Again I can't equate the physical phenomenon going on wrt cables vs speakers vs components as different things are 'breaking in' in those items but I totally have come to believe my ears given the replication of the same subjective personal experience time and again.

Support it with data...oh would that I could. But I can't, so I just have to soldier on certain in the knowledge that I am hearing it - because if I can't trust my ears on that - then I'm pretty damn lost in this hobby aren't I?

One guy's opinion.

15. Dark_Turban

Dark_Turban Member

For the record I have also noticed differences wrt 'settling in' e.g. a previously burned in power cable that has been swapped into the chain and 'warm up' on a piece of gear e.g. power amp with its caps, op amps and output stage, but also spinners with their teeny power supplies too. (The latter of these phenomena is less controversial and more generally accepted, but again some voodoo is afoot albeit more rationally explainable from an electrical engineering pov.)

Taken together the O.P. making an instant and final determination of his A6 assessment on an immediate listen to me is just plain nuts and in no way indicative of the ultimate determination of 'good gear' or 'bad'. They never hung around long enough to actually find out.

And let's not even go within a nautical mile of system synergy or we'll crash the forum server altogether.

Mike Hanson likes this.
  16. Alan Rutlidge

@Dark_Turban . Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. You've given me an idea that I until recently I'd forgotten about as an opportunity.

I have two Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/CD spinners. One brand new in box and has never been powered up. The other joined the stable of components about 10 years ago, so for all intent and purpose well and truly done enough hours to qualify as "burned in". Whilst not up there in the high-end of components it was well received by Stereophile and TechRadar which BTW weren't my reasons for buying these players. I'll invite a few audiophile friends over for an unsighted A/B listening comparison. I think it will be interesting to hear the results and of course their comments. Will the player with years of use sound better than the NOS? I guess the only way to know is to listen to both of them.

Mike Hanson and Dark_Turban like this.
  17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yesterdays FW update brings a few nice new goodies and also some important fixes. :)
    But it won't change the sound for sure. ;)

Connected a 25 Euro USB player to it and that sounds as good as those (very) expensive CD-players from 10/20 years ago. If DAE works well it is entirely up to the DAC to reproduce the sound.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    Peter Wallop and Nutul like this.
  18. Dark_Turban

Dark_Turban Member

@Alan Rutlidge I stand ready and prepared to eat my hat...I mean...blindfolded cherry pie.

Mike Hanson and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  19. Rex

Rex Member

I was always under the impression that "burn-in" was a hold-over from the days when tubes powered everything.

20. Alexeydoma

Alexeydoma Member

A6 is a brilliant product. It opened up a new level of turntables for me. This is my subjective opinion. I have been listening to music every day for over 30 years. Lately I've been getting into playing SACD 5.1 through the Pioneer BDP-450. The sound from the A6 is several orders of magnitude higher. The fact that technical support is constantly improving the A6 and releasing new firmware is a great thing. I suggest renaming the topic: "Eversolo DMP A6 is almost the best!"

Eric777, petru and fofocho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.