EDID thread (RTD1619BPD players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 23, 2023.

1. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

Thanks for the detail Mark. I also use an Apple TV 4K for streaming services, and I think in the absence of an HD Fury right now, I will stick to VS10 with HDR output for now. I did tinker with LLDV, but I think for my setup VS10 is best right now. Maybe that will change when I inevitably get an HD Fury

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not wanting to encourage you to spend your hard earned dosh but I think anyone who takes this hobby with a modicum of interest will benefit immensely from one of these devices - I have 2 (more if I include retired devices) and couldn't manage without them.

So yeah - probably inevitable!

joey_corleone likes this.
  3. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

OK so it’s just a matter of time before I pull the trigger. I think probably the HD Fury VRROOM is the right choice. My setup is all HDMI 2.1 so I don’t see why I would mess around with the other models

I am trying to visualize how this will work for different file types once I set it up. My understanding from tutorials is you basically configure the HD Fury to spoof an EDID that tells the Zidoo the display can support LLDV and then enable LLDV in the Zidoo HDR settings. Then, configure HD Fury to also tell the projector to go into HDR mode when the fury receives an LLDV signal

Can you help explain what happens in that case with these files:

- SDR - Does everything just go through vs10 engine then output LLDV?

- HDR10/HDR10+/DV - Same thing?

My projector supports HDR10+ so I am curious if there is a way to send full dolby vision to the fury and have the fury repackage the dynamic metadata into an HDR10+ container thus retaining pretty much a full DV stream

4. Markswift2003

LLDV is just the tip of the iceberg with these devices - they're a great diagnostic tool, an HDMI matrix, scaler and of course can do anything involving EDID. You can control HDR metadata, CEC etc.

What comes out all depends how you set it up - what goes through VS10 is dependent on the HDR settings on the Zidoo not the HDFury.

No, you can't convert HDR10+ to DV. The only way I know to do that is with DoViTool.

I suggest you have a look at the HDFury threads on AVS.

joey_corleone likes this.
  5. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

Doing some experimenting last night and today with LLDV on the Zidoo, so I could see how things look before getting the hdfury.

For my testing I have:

- Configure Zidoo with custom EDID enabled using the built in BT.2020 LLDV EDID

- Set HDR to LLDV on Zidoo
    - Force HDR mode on my Epson projector

This produces excellent results, but there is a weird quirk - The HDR setting on zidoo being LLDV does not survive a reboot. Every time I power cycle the z2000 pro, it reverts to HDR auto. I did some searching, and see one common solution is to make sure the display and AVR are powered on first. This doesn't seem to matter. For example, I set everything up with HDR set to LLDV, and then simply reboot the Zidoo with my AVR and Projector still on, and get the same result.

Is this maybe a bug? Any suggestions or idea why that would happen? 1.0.75 firmware here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  6. Markswift2003

Nope - can't think why that would happen if you have a custom EDID loaded - boot sequence shouldn't matter in this case because the EDID is self generated and always available.

Must be another variable.

7. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

I thought that too. I tried booting the Zidoo with the AVR and projector powered off. It booted with HDR auto. I used the app to change that to LLDV and could see the HDR light on the Zidoo go on. I then powered it down and back on while everything was still off and again it reverted to auto.

With everything else off I’m not sure what other variables there could be. Resolution stays locked at 4k/23 as expected

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  8. Markswift2003

I'm away this weekend but will try to replicate when I get back.

9. johnnyquest

johnnyquest New Member

I am new to all of this so i might ask a dumb question. So i am trying to understand about these custom EDID & my question is what one of these custom EDID would look better with my Samsung 1080 plasma TV? Right now it seems that my picture seems dark to me. Do i just try different ones? I just don't want to brick my player.

10. moukie

moukie New Member

hello everyone , total noob here for EDID , so i have a z2000Pro hooked on an LED Sony 75 inch from 2018 ( xbr-900E) , it doesn't support DV and i would assume the tv has like 600 Nits Peak Brightness. what are the steps. download the .bin file on a usb thumdrive , plug it in the zidoo and override the EDID ?? please need some your great advices

11. Markswift2003

Ok, confirmed bug. Again...

This is a reversion - this was an issue going back to day 1 but was finally fixed in v1.0.60.

I'm not sure if it returned before .75 but it's definitely back again.

Have reported to the devs.

joey_corleone, Visconti12 and dr4go like this.
  12. Rickard

Rickard New Member

I have the same problem with a zidoo Z9X pro, i tried to save and load a custom EDID but no luck. My zidoo is connected to a yamaha rx-a4a aventage and then a epson TW7300 projector.

13. Markswift2003

;)

Not sure what's going on with the latest firmware (I have my own theories!), but there seem to be a lot of regressions that were previously fixed and this issue is one of them.

Devs have acknowledged it so I'd hope it'll be fixed (again!) in the next release.

xskip and Rickard like this.
  14. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

Hey Mark, thanks for confirming on your end and creating the bug report up to the devs. Appreciate you man.

I will hold tight and continue using HDR set to VS10 HDR for now while I save up some dough for my forthcoming HD Fury vroom : )

15. Ml68

Ml68 New Member

Doubt it means too much but I am having the same issue. I’m using a Z2000 pro, trying to keep the Dolby vision VS 10 engine setting but it keeps reverting to auto after every reboot. Set up custom EDIDs and those settings change back to auto as well. This sounds like a bug in the current firmware version.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

same here, custom edid does not stay, HDR allways jumps to AUTO.

17. Ml68

Ml68 New Member

Yeah, it’s frustrating. It’ll be awesome when they fix it! Other than that, the Zidoo is the best piece of gear in my theater. I’ve had it about two months and it’s amazing.

18. joey_corleone

joey_corleone Member

I went back to vs10 (hdr) and it survives reboots. Seems to be important that the rest of your gear is turned on first. Like on mine, if I power on just the Zidoo, it reverts to auto. If I have my projector and AVR on, it works

19. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

That has always been the case ... displays should be powered on first, then receiver, then source (Zidoo), in order for HDMI handshakes (EDID determining) to work properly. But, if there are still issues, then that is where saving your EDID (once every thing is set correctly that is) and then uploading that to you Zidoo and using it as a custom EDID is supposed to lock in that proper EDID no matter what happens downstream from your Zidoo... but it sounds like there is a current bug in this version of firmware in which that custom EDID does not hold your selected HDR setting.

20. johnnyquest

johnnyquest New Member

I am looking at all of the custom EDID files here & was wondering if anyone here would recommend one for my plasma TV. I have a 5.4 atmos setup. I know my plasma isn't 4k & some of my videos look dark. I did setup on recommended settings but still seems dark to me. I really don't want to keep loading a bunch on in case i brick the zidoo z20 pro.