[BUG] Annoying bug on function 'Update library'

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Eric777, Oct 23, 2023.

1. George M C

George M C Member

Please less of this tech babble ... same as I was saying both on the same LAN but with internet turned off ... but who wants to keep turning internet access on and off to the dmp-a6? Just a balls ache that ... and anyhow this thread is about issues with the update function and the disparity between the File registry and the Music Library. If you have answers about that be glad to hear them ... it's been raised before about entries still left in the Music Library even after they've been deleted from the File registry.

2. Vignus

Vignus New Member

I'd like to know too, as this issue is a deal breaker for me

3. Brainvoyager

Brainvoyager New Member

I have 72,452 perfectly tagged files (mp3 and flac), on my 4Tb internal ssd. These tracks represent 7,628 albums. Building the library took the player almost 2 hours. I add albums on a regular basis, 5-10 every week (I host a weekly radio show). Sometimes I delete an album.

I find it annoying that updating the library with newly added albums takes very long. As far as I can tell, the player rebuilds the complete library every time I added new albums. I use the “update” option, not the “rebuild” option.

Initially I had the “automatic updating sources” on, thinking that it would continuously look for changes in the file folders, and would update the music library, every time it found an added album or discovered an entry in the library that had no corresponding file anymore in the files folder because of deletion. But that turned out to be disastrous. When having the library on screen the player kept refreshing the screen with an interval of 2-3 seconds, preventing me from scrolling through the library as after every refresh of my screen, I ended up being on top of the list again. That’s why I only use the option “update” from that moment on. I still don’t know what that option really does, other than annoying me.

As far as I can see my library is consistent with the files in my files folders. But I must admit that with almost 7,628 albums on my dmp-a6 it’s not easy to perform integrity checks, hence I’m not aware of any duplicates (yet).

Reelyator and DJpower like this.
  4. Eric777

Eric777 Member

As a programmer, I think the update process must be like this:
    • Tag all tracks of the database to set field 'exist'='checking' on each one
    • Iterate on all files on disk to compare last modification date with its value on database (not integrity checks!). It can find all modification fast if location field is indexed (but need a lot of requests)
    • Add new files on database / Update field 'exist'='found' on database if file has been found
    • When process is complete, remove all tracks with field 'exist'='checking' from the database
    • Remove album with no track from the database
    In this way, it would be an efficient update mechanism and it would not take 2 hours on 74.000 files, except if you have modified a lot of them!

5. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

In general: I get the impression that the Library-Update functionality of the A6 is not very reliable in general. See also my post here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/automatic-scanning-of-sources-not-working.98306/

I found one other bug when trying to update one library manually: After hitting that button in the app, the status of the library changes from "Scaned" to "Waiting".....for half an hour......without doing anything:-(

I have no clue, what this blooming app is waiting for. I had to reboot the device, after that another manual update went through (Status change from "Scanned" to "Scanning" like intended).

6. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Yep, that suits to my experiences. Updating one library seems to be just as long as the initial scanning of the library. Therefore i would agree with yours and Erics conclusions that the Library-update functionality of the A6 needs some smart rework.

Currently i have 2 libraries:
    1) ~5TB of flacs on a Syno-NAS
    2) ~1TB of SACD-Iso and other Multichannel-Media on the internal 2TB SSD

Updating of 2) takes about 10 minutes. Updating of 2) takes several hours, not very convenient...