[BUG] Annoying bug on function 'Update library'

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Eric777, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

I can’t check my config at the moment as I’m away on holiday and the DMP is powered off so I can’t get to it even over my home VPN connection.

I don’t use local FLAC files in the player as I’m a Roon subscriber but I did have a spare NVMe SSD lying around so installed it and copied a few artists and albums over to have a play with. IIRC, and I may be wrong, I’m thinking there was a setting where you could specify which folders were to be added to the built in library.

I’m wondering if you don’t specify a root directory as the base of the library, the DMP is auto scanning every available disk device and adding whatever it finds to the onboard library database. Just a thought, but as I say, I can’t check what my own device has added to the library database.

2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I have always thought that your local music files need to reside somewhere physical on your LAN, so local ext drives, the internal SSD if you have that installed or NAS drives. The Library I imagine is just a database organising your local files into artists, albums, genres but can also have elements from your streaming functions. So this database must be stored in the internal storage area of the A6 I have believed up to now. It isn't a second storage of your music files, just a database showing the organisation. However your recent findings make me wonder if this view is really correct.

3. George M C

George M C Member

I'm not sure either way ... as I said it has spooked me a little that the two can deviate from each other.
    Next time I turn the dmp-a6 on I'm going on a deep dive to see if I can locate where the Music Library is stored. If it's on physical media it's either on the dmp-a6's own memory or it somewhere on the added SSD. What also sort of unnerves me is what about those users who have a 4 terabyte SSD installed with literally thousands upon thousands of Albums uploaded? I wonder if any of those users check or are aware whether there file lists and Music Library are in complete harmony?
    I'm the kind of person that see's spies lurking around every corner ... Lol

4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

One other thing to try might be to examine your stored files from a connected computer rather than the builtin Files facility, maybe it is not showing everything ?

5. George M C

George M C Member

The thing is I have auto scanning turned off because of the known problems it was having with the Music Library.
    I have to manually update the Library each time I add new music to the SSD.
    Not seen a setting where you specify the directory or directories but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist ... but that doesn't answer the divergence I have between the music files I currently have loaded to the SSD and what's on my Music Library.

6. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The setting to add to library is there when you list directories or folders, I simply added my whole SSD mounted in the A6 into the library, and like you turned off the automatic update setting and use Update after adding new music. As you say this doesn't explain the divergence you have spotted

7. George M C

George M C Member

Do you mean where music files have been transferred via the ota facility using the dmp-a6's IP address?
    Hadn't thought of that ... Something else to check. I don't think that I used that particular feature with the Albums concerned. If memory serves me right I was uploading them using an external SSD and not ota ... but it's another check I can carry out to eliminate the possibility.
    The way that that ota feature works is a real pain, as once you upload an album it just merges all album tracks together, firstly by track number and then alphabetically.

8. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

No I meant just examine your A6 storage locations using a different independent browser like File Explorer to see whether the A6 Files functions is not hiding anything, a possibly paranoid suggestion on my part ...

9. George M C

George M C Member

And why do you have to link the dmp-a6 to the internet to access your stored music when not streaming? Why can't you just turn the dmp-a6 on, link using Bluetooth, and then play your stored music? If you're not connected to the same WiFi on both the dmp-a6 and your phone or tablet (even with Bluetooth turned on) you can't see your SSD stored Music Library.
    Or am I wrong?
    I'm the master of paranoia ... need another glass of malt lol

Jjb067 likes this.
  10. George M C

George M C Member

You know there are so many ways to upload music to the dmp-a6 physical memory ... it's own inbuilt or internally user added SSD. I just naively thought that the Music Library could only replicate what was on the memory cards at any given time. Ghost entries have just spooked me ... especially with Halloween just round the corner!

Jjb067 likes this.
  11. George M C

George M C Member

Just re-read the ops original post ... Eric777 had already identified the "bug" if that's what it is where deleted albums can remain visible in the library. What isn't clear is where these ghost albums and their tracks hide?
    My conspiracy theory is that the database is remote, accessed only by WiFi, and we are all being watched as to what music we are listening to - in some sinister plot to upstage Qobuz, Tidal, Apple, Amazon et al with a new killer music service .... Lol

12. George M C

George M C Member

I submit the following in support of my paranoia previouly from @Alan Rutlidge

"So here's a question for the eversolo support team. Why does the eversolo controller app and the DMP-A6 require internet connectivity if I'm not accessing any content from the internet and the two devices have been previously working well together with an internet connection? Are either of these devices /apps "spying" on my music content or listening habits / music choices / time of day I'm listening, etc?"

13. kc001

kc001 Active Member

it works just fine without internet (I just use Roon & the control app):
    upload_2023-10-28_13-11-38.png
    but it might need access to internet if you play local library but want to get metadata (haven't used the media player so I don't know)

14. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Yes metadata for lyrics when local files are being played or when CD ripping is underway would require internet connection.

15. George M C

George M C Member

The dmp-a6 will play the Library on the SSD without internet connection but you have to sit right on top of it to change tracks or albums - because even though it's Bluetooth enabled it won't connect to your android phone app without WiFi.
    When sat 8-10 feet away who wants to keep getting up to change a track?
    Anyhow that aside it doesn't answer the question of the inconsistency between the File list and the Music Library. I've looked everywhere on the internal memory and the SSD for where the Library (or as some call it the database) resides separate to the Files and I can't find it ... and to be fair there's not a lot of places it could be.
    So unless someone knows better ....

16. kc001

kc001 Active Member

You are confused a bit => You can very well have Wifi without having an Internet connection.
    The Remote app does not work with Bluetooth. So it requires WiFi to connect from your phone to the A6.

17. kc001

kc001 Active Member

The library files and other settings are in an one of the Android hidden partitions.
    Same goes for user data, settings etc in any Android device.
    You would need 'root' privileges to access them.

18. George M C

George M C Member

WiFi without internet? Don't you mean Local Area Network without Internet?
    All I know is without WiFi turned on both the dmp-a6 and android phone you can't control the dmp-a6 remotely.

19. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It means that you need WiFi (which is LAN, just wireless...) to allow the A6 and the phone to talk to each other.
    If you go to your router and deny internet access to the mac address of the A6, it won't go outside of your four walls, but will connect to your phone.

20. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Wi-Fi is a way to connect devices without cables.
    a Wifi Router is 3 devices in one:
    -Internet modem/router
    -Wifi Access Point (where you connect the wireless devices)
    -Ethernet switch (where you connect the cables)