16TB hdd not recognized

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Clay, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Clay

Clay New Member

Good morning.
    I need help.
    I own a Zidoo X9S.
    A few days ago I bought a Seagate Barracuda hard drive, model: Exos. With a capacity of 16 TB.
    The operations I performed are these:
    1. unboxing;
    2. connection to the pc with box via usb;
    3. formatting in GPT, with Windows 10.
    Unfortunately when I connect it to the zidoo, it is not recognized.
    I tried both with box via usb and with sata cable.
    I state that the disc is new and in a few days I have almost filled it.
    So I hope I don't have to reformat it.
    Finally, the other external usb disks I connect, with capacities of 4TB and 5TB, work perfectly.

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Ask @Nice Monkey. Maybe he knows if 16 TB is supported by X9S. One of his posts here. He had another long article about 16TB support but it was for X9Z from what I remember. Can't find the second article.

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Have some 16 TByte Western Digital in fact working with all my Android media players.
    Formatting via USB is tricky as the USB/ATA controller may be translating things.

Formatting GPT+NTFS while SATA attached to a W10+ PC never failed for me or reported to me.

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Looks like 16TB should work for you. Just before you decide to reformat and lose data try some advanced partitioning programs to see if you have small hidden partition at the beginning of this drive. It’s not visible in Windows Disk Management. GParted program can show hidden partitions and remove it without loosing data.
    It worked for me with USB enclosure.

5. Clay

Clay New Member

Hello guys.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Connecting it via sata to the pc and formatting it works perfectly with the Zidoo. The only problem is this: if I connect it a second time to the pc via usb with box, to transfer files, when I go to reconnect it via sata to the zidoo, it is not detected.
    Am I wrong something or to avoid problems I will always have to connect via sata, both to transfer files and to read them?

6. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Obviously USB box is marking the drive partitions in some way. Is this OEM enclosure that the drive came with? Try different USB to SATA adapter capable of handling 16 TB drives is you have one.
    Check if your USB box is making a small hidden partition at the beginning of the drive. GParted software can show and remove this partition without effecting the rest of the drive with data. You can install GParted on CD or USB thumb drive. Lots of info and download link here.

7. Clay

Clay New Member

No. Is an LC-Power enclosure i've bought 4-5 years ago.
    I have no others, I should buy them, do you have any advice for me?
    What I would like to do is connect via sata to the zidoo and sometimes, just to transfer the files, via usb to the pc. Without having to delete partitions.
    If I wanted, I could transfer the files from the PC to the hard disk connected to the zidoo? maybe with samba or nfs, via lan ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  8. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

You can share Zidoo drive over Gigabit LAN and transfer files from PC over the network without disconnecting the drive. You need to enable share in the Zidoo and connect to Zidoo from PC. To find Zidoo drives type "\\ZidooName" in file explorer header bar. It will show you all connected and available drives. You get very reasonable speeds in the range of 100 mbps.

9. Clay

Clay New Member

Hi. Since I have never connected it via lan, help me please.
    I just connected the zidoo via ethernet to the router, then I activated the dhcp in the "ethernet" tab of the zidoo configuration.
    Now I'm in the OpenWrt panel.
    What operations should I perform?
    Can you guide me step by step?

10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Check one of many threads and tutorials out there.
    Click here

11. Clay

Clay New Member

I managed to configure samba, I can access zidoo by typing the address in the header bar of the file explorer.
    For quick access, I added the "quick access" connection.
    That would be fine, but for convenience, I would like to add the Zidoo device in this path: "This PC" --> "Devices and drives".
    How can i do it ?

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Map network drive and enter path to the Zidoo drive. You will find map network drive in Windows File Explorer under "This PC" options.

13. Clay

Clay New Member

I managed to create the network path.
    I did some tests. In OpenWrt -> NAS Services -> Samba -> Shared Directories, if i select "yes" to the "Allow guests" tab, i can access to the zidoo's directory without password. If i select "no", the system asks me an username and password that i don't know.
    How should I set up login credentials?

14. Clay

Clay New Member

Hi guys.
    Happy new year.
    I've a question: how can I set username and password to access hard drives connected to the zidoo?

Biz Diva likes this.