Support > 16 TByte HDD's via SATA (Zidoo to confirm or deny)?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Asked this a number of times but never got a Zidoo answer on this matter.
    For USB the answer may be different than for SATA using it External or Internal? If supported with what filesystem and which settings?
    This is not about using NAS (handled locally) or USB3 attached HDD's as those use a build-in USB/ATA bridge for physical disk access.

For 18 TByte HDD's I am sure default W10 NTFS formatting restricted to 17.5 TByte will work via Internal or External SATA.

Had 2 cases reported to me with instabilities using EXOS 18 TByte HDD's when the drive was almost full. In both cases these problems disappeared reducing the format to just 17.5 TByte on my suggestion. This is exactly the boundary addressing a HDD with a 32-field sector counter with 4K bytes per sector. I don't think this is a coincidence myself. Windows moved to a 64-bit OS with W10/W11 avoiding that problem.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  2. Hi, I need a help, i Have a 16TB HDD seagate EXOS, but the thing is, its a Hikivision dedicated hdd, and i want to format to computer use, do you have any ideia how can i do it? i try with command line and disk manager already, but i think it locks the drive and it do not allow me to format, i did a little source on the topic, and end up found a reddit topic

best regards

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

First of all make sure that your adapter if you use one supports drives 16TB and larger. This would be USB to SATA adapter. Not all of them do, so check first before anything else. Plugging the drive directly to your motherboard SATA port should allow you to access the drive. If you can't see the partition or it's coming up as unknown and can't remove it in Widows you probably need a utility to remove it. My favourite is Gparted and you could get it as a bootable version for PC (disk or USB). This will remove any partitions to raw sectors. You could format it as one NTFS inside Gparted or use Windows to do the format.