Network Access to USB/Sata Drives?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Glorioso, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

Hi, is it possible to access the drives attached to the Z9X over the network??

THX

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

For sure. Just turn SMB Server on in Quick Setup.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

4. Nice Monkey

You don't need/want SMBv1 compatibility with Z9X. The W10 defaults should work just fine connecting is with SMBv3.

5. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Yes that's true didn't see it was showing SMBv1 in guide. SMB direct option should be enabled by default on Win10 and v1 is disabled by default and shouldn't be enabled because it's not secure.

Nice monkey we were talking about Zidoo z9x SMB version support in other thread and it appears it only supports up to 2.1?

6. Nice Monkey

Earlier player generations use OpenWRT for SMB server. That should support v3 too.

Rob W likes this.
  7. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Yes that makes sense. The Samba server on the Z9x is using SMB 3.1.1 according to Windows but it only shows server Dialect speeds. Trying to find a way to check on Z9X what client Dialect it's using.

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

if I don't use the SMB1, impossible to have the ZD_samba visible in Win10, I must be a big loser but I can't find how to access ZD_samba without using the SMB1 option (if I activate the SMB2, I can't bring up the ZD_samba)

Cranks likes this.
  9. Nice Monkey

I always configure SMB manually by using the IP-Address\Share and works fine without enabling SMBv1 for sure.

10. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Yes also had no problems with direct IP shortcut.

OlivierQC did notice that in your guide picture that you dont have the SMB direct option below SMB 1.0 like in my picture. Is that because you disabled SMB2 in powershell?

[​IMG]

11. OlivierQC

Hello Rob W,

yes you right, I'm going to take a closer look at this

Thanks ;)

12. OlivierQC

i saw that :

Requirements
    SMB Direct requires the following:

Basically if you don't use Hyper-V or and other Hypervisor, you don't need it.
    • At least two computers running Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2012

it doesn't matter, I don't touch anything, everything works.

See you

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  13. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Actually the security advice to disable smb v1 support is mainly for company networks. As a home user you've not really to worry about. But I think microsoft will drop smb v1 in it future windows server versions and also in windows 10.

14. Nice Monkey

There is also a serious potential performance impact as SMBv1 was designed with LAN in mind but SMBv2 was re-designed with also WAN connections considered.

15. OlivierQC

yes you're right Mc Bluna, for private networks like mine, there's no particular problem for the moment

I use the FW 0.90 with my SMB 1 and the performances are excellent

I will change my mind when the SMB1 is no longer used at all :)

16. sadaniel

sadaniel New Member

My player came with firmware upgraded to V6.2.5_G. I'm having issue copying big file >10GB to the HDD attached to the SATA port of the Z9X. The copy progress just showing Calculating... and eventually failed.

I have no issues accessing the drive from my windows 10. From my windows 10, i can still view, delete files and copy smaller files to the HDD.

I have no problems whatsoever with my previous Z9S.

Do I need to change firmware to make this work, or did I miss anything?

17. Nice Monkey

Using NTFS and not FAT32? FAT32 does not support windows huge files.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This is a really very interesting thread. I'm using Windows 10 to transfer and manage my files on my reasonably old Music Server, a ReadyNas Duo v2. I connect to this and my Film Server (Another ReadyNas - a RN104) using NFS and don't have any issues, except a small one. Last month I updated Windows with the 20H2 update, since when, for some reason, when I switch on my PC and Music Server, Windows File Explorer doesn't see this ReadyNas. Strange as it hasn't affected my other ReadyNas. I have mapped the servers and when I click on the entry in File Explorer, I get an error message to say it's not recognised. If I create a shortcut then I can get in, no problem. But once I exit File Explorer, I have to repeat the process.

It's not a biggy (I just use the Shortcut now and all my other devices see it, including my Zidoo but I just wonder if anyone else has had issues since this Windows Update?

My settings are shown here: -

Features 23.04.2021.JPG

Interestingly "Services for NFS" isn't ticked - both SMB and NTFS operations are permitted from my ReadyNas's so am wondering now if my PC is connecting via SMB with everything else via NFS? I had not noticed this before until I saw @Rob W 's settings above in post #10.

I'm very confused with all this and hoping for a little help please - thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  19. sadaniel

sadaniel New Member

My Z9X is connected to a 5TB HDD via SATA. NTFS formatted. Like I said, this works perfectly with my Z9S.

20. Nice Monkey

I have about 20 HDD's which all work with my Z9X (and Z9S) using BD ISO's mainly. So very strange for me. Tried a factory reset?