EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. enry184

enry184 Member

I do not know what to tell you. I have carried out various trials and tests and the result is always the same. With the same mkv file and video calibration in Dolby Vision in both Kodi and Zidoo, the Zidoo appears significantly darker. The problem is solved by compensating and increasing the peak brightness in video calibration but I don't like doing this

2. vddan

vddan Active Member

Hi Mark,
    Currently I'm using the 4000 nits, but the JVCNZ7 has a particular FramAdapt WIDE' and the 'HDR Quantizer' is that if you go to the end of the range (nits) you switch to a different brightness!
    In 'BT.2020 LLDV 100nit - 10,000nit EDID Collection' I would be missing a '3900 nits' and a 5900 nits'!
    Would it be too much to ask to be able to make them for us!
    I will thank you forever and allow myself to test this fabulous NZ7 as best as possible.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You can't specify luminance as accurately as that in the Dolby VSDB - There are only 5 bits available to define it so there are only 32 levels definable between 0 and 10,000 nits (00000 - 11111)

So the value for 3900 nits is the same as that for 4000 nits. You need to go down to about 3500 nits for the value to change by one (from 11010 down to 11001)

The progression is not linear either - the further up the range you get, the lower the resolution.

Start values for each nit range are as below:

upload_2023-10-17_10-23-11.png

So the upshot is that an EDID for 3900 nits is the same as 4000 nits and an EDID for 5900 nits is the same as 6000nits.

I don't think you have one for 6000nits, so I've attached one.

Attached Files:

Customi likes this.
  4. vddan

vddan Active Member

SUPER big thank you!!
    How fast and very good explanation!
    So I'm going to test the 6000 nits this evening..........
    Many thanks again.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  5. Customi

Customi New Member

Well, I'm very curious, what will the result on your Zidoo... if this affects the brightess in the right direction, I will try it too.

Thanks for your feedback!

6. vddan

vddan Active Member

Unfortunately my return will be quick, because this 6000 nits on my JVC NZ7 does not pass on my BT2020 HDR white target.......the whites are burned and the only way to see the penultimate bar is to lower sharply the contrast at -22, which gives a dull image!!
    So back to my 4000 nits, which are going wonderfully!
    Maybe on another projector it would work??
    Many thanks again to Mark for his goodwill. ;)

7. Markswift2003

Most content is way under 1000nits so artificially inflating that in the Dolby Block means a lot of compression at the top end. Not so bad if you have a 1000 or 2000nit display, but with a projector at say 150nits on a good day, it's just asking too much.

8. vddan

vddan Active Member

Ok, so why does the 4000 nits work so well on my projector, with superb dynamics, compared to a 1000 nits?

9. Markswift2003

It means the projector is able to successfully tone map 4000 down to its native output but 6000 is just a step too far. Also, there is no commercial content above 4000 nits and very little above 1000 nits, so there's really no point going higher.

There is an argument to say just squirt out at 10,000 nits and let the display deal with it, but in reality that doesn't really work.

Essentially because it's a good, bright projector - by using 4000 nits, everything gets tone mapped - nothing is lost, so all the specular highlights will be there. The downside is that because the tone curve needs to compress more - ie it has to start soft clipping earlier and more agressively - the image will be duller. But as I say, it's a great PJ, so it can cope with the loss in brightness.

Also of course, it's using DTM, so in a lot of instances there will be very little need for any soft clipping at all because the content is within the native capabilities of the PJ.

10. vddan

vddan Active Member

Perfect! excellent explanation.
    Good day !

11. vddan

vddan Active Member

I even went back to 3000 nits for a better balance: contrast/brightness!!

12. Marjen

Marjen New Member

I am looking for some help. I tried installing an EDID file I downloaded to change HDR content to SDR. I uploaded that file and selected it and the screen went black but finally came back and said it wouldn’t work.

I continued to try and change some other settings to HDR based on Some feedback and when it applied it the screen never synced up and now I can’t get back into an7 screen on my Zidoo player. Is there anyway I can somehow get it default back to another setting?

EDIT: I was able to fix it by using the remote and cycling through resolutions.

so I think maybe I did not upload EDID file correctly.

what is the process? I tried downloading a file from web. It came as a .bin file. Do I just upload as is? If so some other setting is wrong

what I am trying to do is change HDR content to output as SDR to my projector. I have an Epson 4010 and all HDr looks really dark and loses all detail. SDR from Apple TV and Xbox looks much better. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  13. Markswift2003

It sounds like the EDID you used had a video mode that the Epson does not support, hence the black screen.

Can you let me know which Zidoo model you have.

And can you post a couple of EDIDs here:

1. Connected straight to the projector

2. Connected via your AVR

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

14. Marjen

Marjen New Member

I have the Z9X

prjector is connected to my anthem AVM70. Basically just trying to get hdr comet (ripped 4k blu rays) to show as SDR due to the limitation of hdmi 1.4 on my projector. The EDID file was something someone shared that they thought might work, not sure it was correct.

15. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

In your case, you will want to use the 300MHz SDR Rec.709 (HDMI 1.4) EDID.

16. Markswift2003

Lol - forgot I'd posted that :D

17. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

And many thanks for that:)... The VS10 for all content option outputted to SDR to my 6040 works awesome!

18. Marjen

Marjen New Member

what should the ext be in the file name? Should it be .bin? Just want to make sure it uploads correctly.

19. Marjen

Marjen New Member

I believe I have it working now. Thanks for the help everyone.

20. Ben602

Ben602 New Member

I have a JVC 640 projector which I would have frame rate matching and HDR - SDR BT2020 on all content. It always worked just fine. I recently got a new receiver and now I can't get the setting to save as it did before. It also seems to throw a fit with converting DV movies to SDR as before and I get all sorts of Handshake issues and the screen turns purple and all sorts of colors . I have to reboot and try to get the settings to go back to SDR - HDR but it doesn't always work. My understanding is if I use an EDID it will permanently save the settings? How can I create a custom EDID for HDR - SDR BT2020 match frame rate and then upload it?