Upcoming Zidoo Model Z9X Pro and Z20 Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by McBluna, Apr 26, 2023.

1. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Horses for courses. If you need a high end audio DAC then i suppose the UHD5000.

If like me you just need a box to play back video from external sources the Z9X Pro is the one. Note that video AQ and PQ would be identical between the two.

Also this new range is an incremental improvement, not a night and day upgrade from current models.

2. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

I got my shipping notification from Futeko a few hours ago for my Z9X Pro. Mine has to cross the ocean so will be a couple days until I get it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    blenky likes this.
  3. vddan

vddan Active Member

+1 GREAT !! soon feedback ;)

4. gladiator

gladiator Member

im also get email ... i bought the z20 pro ... ( look more beautyfull on my hometheater )

blenky likes this.
  5. xfortknoxX

xfortknoxX New Member

Is Zidoo going to support root for the Z9X Pro? Like with the X9S in the past? Or do we have to figure that out ourselves just like it was with Z9X?

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I think it will be left to you to decide how best to brick your device.

theory, Jimbo Randy and Nice Monkey like this.
  7. xfortknoxX

xfortknoxX New Member

I rooted my X9S via the special APK for this box and my Z9X via Magisk and none of them were bricked. Instead both work flawlessly.

8. Jehanzeb

Jehanzeb New Member

How about NETFLIX watching experience on Zidoo Players? Is anyone using Zidoo Players (which model?) to watch their Plex Library as well? NETFLIX or PLEX Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision supported on Zidoo or not. Please can someone enlighten me. Thanks.

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Forget streaming apps on these boxes. That's not what they are for. These boxes are for locally stored media.

B0RN likes this.
  10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have now set up my new Z9X Pro - it came with firmware V1.0.22. Here are my first impressions.

As already stated this is an incremental upgrade so out of the box I did not really notice any big changes over the Z9X. HT4 is a little bit faster but not night and day. The HT version it shipped with is 4.2.53.

Looking at Avatar 4K MKV on both the Z9X and Z9X pro - I could see no difference in PQ or AQ. Both excellent.

Attached are a few photos of the box and setup screens. The first three show what's in the box and the box itself!

I have been through the quick set up menus and noticed some differences

'Display'
    • 'Color Settings'. This doesn't have the 'HDMI colour Range' setting
    • 'HDR'. This is the biggest change and has been mentioned elsewhere. Apparently due to Dolby restrictions Zidoo can't use options to set VS10 by source anymore. On my Z9X I have all SDR media using VS10 engine and everything else auto. You can't do that now (see screen shot). What I've set is 'Dolby VS10 engine(Output DV)'. This forces everything through the VS10 engine (including the GUI). Not ideal but not a deal breaker for me.
    'Audio settings' - strange one as the only choice I have is 'Auto' or 'LPCM 2 channel' - no RAW. I've set it to auto and lossless audio (e.g. Dolby Atmos) plays OK.

There may be other differences but not spotted anything so far.

Overall anyone I don't see this a a compelling upgrade over the Z9X. I just wanted a new shiny box!

Attached Files:

jeryll, B0RN, xskip and 1 other person like this.
  11. Markswift2003

Yep - HDMI range is automatic now and RAW isn't really needed - Auto essentially does the same thing - if it's a bitstream, it spits out as a bitsream and if it's PCM, it comes out as PCM.

xskip likes this.
  12. Mai

Mai New Member

Any plan on upgrade of Neo S/Alpha with new chip?

13. Markswift2003

Not as far as I know.

14. Puppy75

Puppy75 New Member

About VS10, sad you can’t choose anymore :(
    I use it on sdr and hdr10 video. But if you choose auto and your video is already in Dolby Vision, does that make a difference (on your tv : color, contrast)?

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

Thanks for update, I'll keep my Z9X until a true upgrade, hopefully with QMS added.:)

16. Markswift2003

So if you choose to output everything as Dolby Vision it would be exactly the same as you do now.

17. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 - any idea when we will see a G firmware version for new devices? I have a photo frame screen saver app I want to install.

18. Puppy75

Puppy75 New Member

oki thx for your answer :)

19. Markswift2003

Not sure - can you download the apk from APKMirror?

20. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I tried that - the app I currently use on my Z9X is not there. Found it on another APK site, installed it but would not open. Just went back to main GUI