So what Happened to the New 2022 / 2023 Zidoo Line ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Mark Boddy

Mark Boddy New Member

Me too. At a very good price.

2. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

Dune has a new device on their site now with Amlogic S905X4-K

AngryVirginian likes this.
  3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

nothing fancy 4xA55 cores, Zidoo uses 6xA55.

FrostByte likes this.
  4. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

The specs make it sound like it can utilize both layers for DV 7 FEL. Sometimes their wording is a little hard to decipher though.

5. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

Maybe not? Just RPU

6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Old News announced last year !
    Plus a Biscuit brand model .

FrostByte likes this.
  7. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

The specs of the new Dune does not mention passthrough of DTS:HD MA. Seems like DTS:HD MA will need to be decoded to PCM 5.1 or 7.1 for output.

However, the $150 USD Price is not bad. I think I will pre-order one once available to use as a Jellyfin & Plex client if Zidoo does not announce something soon.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

You can use Jellyfin with the Zidoo already.

9. AngryVirginian

I want to FEL playback capability.

10. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

Does it though? It says for FEL it plays the 10bit BL and only the RPU from the EL. I thought for real FEL playback it would need to use BL+EL+RPU

I'm no expert though.

11. AngryVirginian

The SOC is capable of it and won't be hard to send it back if it doesn't work. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    FrostByte likes this.
  12. DELUCAS

There are other Brands out now with exact chipset can you not just google if it meets the fel playback you req and save you the hassle of it ?

13. DELUCAS

The Official Spec :

Amlogic S928X Specifications

The Amlogic S928X is a Penta Core manufactured in 12nm. A chip with a high-performance ARM Cortex-A76 core accompanied by 4 ARM Cortex-A55 cores. The iGPU we have in this Amlogic is an ARM-G57 MC2 with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.2 and OpenCL 2.0. It also includes support for HDR10+, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision (optional), AV1, VP9, H.265, AVS3… We also have a 3.2 TOPS AI accelerator with support for TensorFlow and Caffe.

For RAM it accommodates up to 8 GB of DDR4-3200Mhz, LPDDR4 and LPDDR4X-4266Mhz RAM. Regarding connectors, it has capacity for 3 USB 2.0 ports, one of them OTG, SPDIF, Gigabit Ethernet, a PCIE 2.0 shared with a USB 3.0 and HDMI 2.1a video output capable of taking video up to 8K resolution at 60 fps. 1C2B6E6A-0AFE-4F5F-A9C0-B4CF4CF6A192.jpeg

FrostByte likes this.
  14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

hmm, sure A76 should be enough even though it's from 2018, but only using 1 core when the S922X used 4 A73 cores, I can't see it being more powerful than S922X? but better than only using A55 cores I guess...

15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Looking good with essential AV1 and HDMI2.1a included. This one looks like a real potential successor.

That extra powerful A76 CPU core is very welcome . With 8 GByte RAM it is designed to run any 64-bit OS nicely. Next to running more APP's good for removing the 16 TByte HDD limitation via SATA.

Good basis for a next generation media players. The negative side of that will be reduced/frozen support on the current generation. I would expect (some) longer support on the Neo models but definitely not very long on the other models.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  16. jettthasan

jettthasan New Member

when will the question mark come out

17. Nice Monkey

Memory bandwidth increased 90% relative to the A75.[6][7] According to ARM, the A76 is expected to offer twice the performance of an A73 and is targeted beyond mobile workloads. The performance is targeted at "laptop class", including Windows 10 devices,[8] competitive with Intel's Kaby Lake.

It is much easier/effective dealing with a single faster processor than using many slower cores building FW for media players. This design uses 4 slave processors for e.g. background tasks.

Gilgamesh likes this.
  18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

yeah but still 1 core against 4, should have 2 A76, but anyway should be enough for media player as long as we get smooth UI and other performance boost compared to current 6xA55. :)

19. Nice Monkey

It is 1x 3.0 Ghz A76 + 4x 1.3 A55 versus now 6x 1.3 Ghz A55 now which is a huge improvement. I like it.

Supporting Realtek and Amlogic can be done as it is shown by the competition releasing now similar/synchronized FW on both platforms since some time.
    No idea how important that SDK of Realtek is for Zidoo? A bit less optimistic there!

20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The 928 is due to go into mass production Q2 this year... It certainly has the capacity for 4K60 + 2K60 decoding for Dolby FEL but whether Dolby will allow this in their sandbox is another matter...

FrostByte likes this.