Beta version v6.3.75 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 release.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Two hours is too much, after 10 seconds all capacitors are already discharged and the remaining 119 minutes and 50 seconds nothing happens in the unit. ;)

Many people have already reported this about switching off. I did not do this in the past and had no problems. But for the last 2-3 months I have been doing this prophilactically after every FW update.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    darkeyes909 likes this.
  2. MVu

MVu New Member

Playback performance question

Over wired network, or even direct USB connect, is there a performance difference (stutter, slow read, etc) between playing ISO or BDMV folder structure?
    And full rips with menu, any performance concern between the two formats?

I thought the player might have to do extra downloading and processing for ISOs.

3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

There should be no performance difference between ISO and BDMV. ISO is just a container (for BDMV folder structure in this case). You can easily turn a BDMV structure into an ISO file by using an ISO creator program and just put everything in the BDMV folder structure to the top level of the ISO file.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No the ISO image has everything in straight format in sequence. My experience it even that it works better with a full disc as it normally is written without fragmentation. All files in a single file.

5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I'll try the app and come back with result!

6. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Interesting. I am not very familiar with what these BL+EL+RPU really mean so I am trying to wrap my head around it. Is there any article that explains all these Dolby Vision terms?

So basically these were bad encodes but the Z9X is managing to play them correctly?

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you Google Dolby Vision there are plenty of good web sites explaining how it hangs together - Basically:

BL = Base Layer - an HDR10 or HDR10+ 10-bit HEVC video stream

EL = Enhancement Layer - essentially a 1080p 10-bit HEVC video stream that is the residual between the full 12-bit Dolby Vision stream and the 10-bit HDR10(+) stream. (a subset is a Minimal Enhancement Layer which contains no video info - basically a placeholder to maintain compatibility for MEL titles)

RPU - Reference Processing Unit - the metadata describing scene by scene or frame by frame dynamic metadata for tone mapping, colour, contrast trims etc .

Yes, these were bad encodes with poorly executed RPUs - the problem is that no official software for manipulation of Dolby Vision exists in the public domain, however, homebrew tools are starting to emerge, some of which work extremely well (Dovi_Tool for example) and some that don't...

8. I'm suffering from stuttering issues playing certain files, namely 4K Dolby Vision .mkvs, is there any way I can diagnose what the issue is? Never happened in the past and I don't knowingly have changed anything on my setup. I'm on the .75 FW and am connected to a NAS via SMB/wired connection.

The light on the ethernet port is orange, seemingly indicating a gigabit ethernet connection.

This is the info from one of the files I had this issue with but it's not the only one:
    https://0bin.net/paste/VS9H+hHN#MVer0WinfLqN-tRR/9F+6PBkPdmFIg7g2pCLdMxGXXV

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  9. Markswift2003

Any chance you could PM me a link to one of the files? Or even better, just a couple of minutes clip of one of the files that you can confirm stutters at your end.

I haven't seen any stuttering here and even the dodgy encodes I've seen don't cause issue now since .75. I've also been testing DV encodes I've done myself here and they've been fine too so it'd be interesting to see if I can replicate here.

10. Unfortunately not as the file(s) are about 50 GB each and I don't know how I could create a clip without paid software. Does the Z9X offer any sort of playback information or something like system load I could look at while playing a video?

11. Movie78

Movie78 Member Beta test group

Is it normal that UI auto-switch my TV to HDR?

12. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

mkvntoolnix is free and works well for cutting out segments if its mkv format

13. Markswift2003

I use MKVToolnix to split files - free and easy..

Just noticed @cucnz said exactly the same :)

14. Markswift2003

Depending on the HDR setting, yes.

15. Movie78

Movie78 Member Beta test group

How do I change that?
    Or not recommended?

16. Okay, I created a clip and uploaded it, how can I share it with you? Are DMs called "conversation" here?

17. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

just post the link for the dl ie i usually do them on megs and post the mega link for it to be tested

18. Delfanboy

Delfanboy New Member

Hey everyone,

First time poster and new Z9X owner here. I don't know whether any of you may be able to help me, but I have one issue, which I can't seem to solve.
    I read in older posts about DV P7 FEL compatibility with various formats is a thing now and I fully undestand what Mark said about not utilising the FEL, but the BL+RPU.
    However, I have pretty severe blue/green flickering in every P7 FEL DV movies during normal playback. As far as I understand it, you guys can play these files (w/o stuttering since this recent fw.). Please anyone, correct me, if i am mistaken! Is this the case with every DV movies like these?I tried mp4, mkv, BD50 formats of the same movie w/o any luck.

Cheers,

19. Yar Dhar

Yar Dhar Member

I have had the same issue with all my 4K mkv files and the only thing resolve this was to clean the meta data library and hard restart of the system. You may need to rematch some of your movies, if they are not correctly matched but I would try this before I do anything else.

20. Markswift2003

Quick Settings/Display/HDR - usually best set to "Auto".

JosephB. likes this.