Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

The zidoo reads the RPU independently, because on x265 encodes it is reencoded in x265, and the zidoo manages to read a DoVi x265 in DoVi.
    The FEL is reserved by Dolby Vision for the physical medium, because 'in absolute terms' according to Dolby Vision we get better quality than the MEL, but this is on paper.
    In the real world the MEL or the FEL with our equipment (TV, player) gives the same result. This was demonstrated by people developing some software and codec on the forum with the same name as video games.
    :)

2. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

it could use an easy to use program for converting fel to mel

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Assuming that the RPU is used for MEL content (assumed, but not confirmed) then I'd expect it could be used for FEL content.

However, since it's not supposed to support Profile 7, it's possible that MEL titles are just the VS10 engine outputting the base layer as DV in the same way it does for any HDR10 layer.

I've asked for confirmation.

4. afss

afss Active Member

Hi Mark, I know this is far from scientific, but I have done local testing and could clearly identify a difference between plain HDR10 versus MEL MKV LLDV playback by Zidoo on my JVC Projector. MEL MKV LLDV is so much closer to DTM with my HTPC using MadVR.

5. Markswift2003

There are a lot of variables at play - with LLDV you get the source tone mapping to 1000nits before it hits the projector then you're applying the projector's tone map on top of that which should result in a more tightly defined result over all content. Also the VS10 engine has much better chroma performance than the Realtek one - at least with the test patterns I've thrown at it. Black clip is also slightly better (64 vs. 72).

I think all this produces a much more pleasing image than straight HDR10 tone mapped wholly at the projector. I must admit I believe it is using the RPU with Profile 7 MEL but it would be nice to get confirmation what the process is with Profile 7.

6. afss

afss Active Member

Agree!

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Were you outputting HDR10 as LLDV as that would prove it.

8. mattmarsden

Mark have you done any comparisons with HDR10 output as LLDV versus MEL?

9. Markswift2003

Good call - I've certainly tried both (lots!!) but I've never done a direct comparison between the two on the same movie - I'll have a play with that tomorrow...

10. afss

afss Active Member

I was switching between HDR10 and LLDV for the same movie content.

11. Markswift2003

Ok - so here's good news - I got confirmation from the engineers that the RPU is processed for MKV MEL titles.

Sledgehamma likes this.
  12. mattmarsden

Great, excellent news - do you know if on FEL the secondary stream has to be decoded to get to the RPU? If not it should be fairly easy to implement using the RPU on these as well.

13. dan37

dan37 New Member

Where are there channels with DV 4K?

14. Markswift2003

Already asked the question ;)

15. Markswift2003

Sorry, that's incorrect, the Shield will output DV in BT.2020 but admittedly the settings are very unintuitive.

What it can't do is full time DV like the Zidoo and doesn;t have anything like the flexibility of the Zidoo. It's great for streaming but it's a PITA for local playback.

** Sorry - just realised that was from page 1 and I already answered ;) !!**

16. Markswift2003

Netflix, Disney+, Apple to name a few

17. afss

afss Active Member

Awesome, thanks for helping us all to improve the product Mark !

darkeyes909 and Markswift2003 like this.
  18. wicket

wicket New Member

Hello good morning, first of all I apologize if there is something that is not understood I use google translator I do not know any English, then I was interested in acquiring this player as an accompaniment to my oppo203, since it does not play dolby remux and I do not like the shield the colors .... but I have seen Dolby Vision dvhe 07.06 BL + EL + RPU FEL there are already a few with these characteristics it is known if this is going to be resolved, a greeting and anything that is not understood, you ask me, thank you for all

19. Markswift2003

If the Zidoo could process dvhe.06.07 BL+EL+RPU FEL it would have to ignore EL in the same way the Shield does.

I have asked Zidoo whether it is possible to implement BL+RPU for dvhe.06 FEL MKV titles and am waiting for an answer.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  20. Kritjuu

Kritjuu Member

I have a Zidoo 1000 pro and a Chin Oppo 203 clone here for testing a lot of files on LG C9 tv. I have set the Zidoo settings of HDR and other player to auto. On my Oppo device all DV movies with DV streams are recognized and the TV EDID switches to DV.
    Even FEL streams. Witch the Zidoo all the DV movies play just the HDR stream. DV is only possible when switching the HDR settings to DV mode or LLDV. Why is this? Not a single DV movie (Mel ot Fel) is played when HDR set to auto?