Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Are you converting any FEL to MEL? If so what process are you using? Cheers

2. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

say, in the latest makemkv, are any settings changed or just use the default ??
    (yes, I get the changing folders and such. heh)

so just load the disk, or say a index.bdmv and select what streams in that are desired, then let it go.
    anything else, or its just that easy ?? tried one already, it went to DV just fine, created 2 files, both same size, 1 with chapters, 1 without. (i see this when i load the bdmv file too, just let it go with default selections for the first go)
    its quick as heck on a NVMe drive, a tic over 2 minutes for a 50+gb file. :)

am I crazy, or does the output look darker than the original ?? like dark areas, black and dark details get crushed ?? i am using a sony 950h, and dv dark. if the output is the same, then it would be settings on my tv going back and forth to compare.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

Do we need the following options for playing DV / atmos movies with the new FW 0.90 ?

Realtek developper (Playback Performance mode = Activate
    reserve less buffer space = off

See you

darkeyes909 likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No you don't :)

5. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

I have my Z9X connected directly to my LG B9 and can't make DV work, one of the files has this info:

6. Markswift2003

You need to check whether it's a FEL or MEL encode (and of course it must me an MKV!!). Presumably it's FEL which will only play back the HDR10(+) base layer.

You can check this by opening the MKV in MakeMKV.

You can check the different profile compatabilities here under "DOLBY VISION MKV COMPATIBILITY"

Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD1619 Players

Glorioso likes this.
  7. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

The file is in MP4 format, no my encode, but just made my first DV Encode from the ISO of Tremors:
    The TV flagged DV, great way to start 2021, now i'll try a Atmos MEL conversion.

THX

8. Markswift2003

For Profile 7 (dvhe.07), ie BluRay rips, it needs to be in an MKV.

MP4 is fine for Profile 4, 5 and possibly 8 (not tested)

9. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

So, during this lonk weekend I had some time to explore and test some encoding, lika I said before my first test was tremores, really crisp DV image but no Atmos, so I dived head first into my Matrix UHD Copy. Since is a MEL encode it was simple and the result was flawless but needed to fine tune the image settings, the image in the Matrix is really unique so it required some work, but the end result is exceptional. Now I hafe the gain some corage to dive into one FEL encode :mad:

10. Oldirtydog

Oldirtydog Member

All the work to make FEL to MEl is nasty but this is the way....Some days maybe zidoo can update and other profiles to MKV not only 7 .With makemkv 1.15.4 FEL movies trigger DV only to nvidia shield pro :)

ammar11 likes this.
  11. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

one will have chapters ,one will have without is the usual 2 3rd is maybe extended or some other option

12. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

you could try running the Mp4 file thru MKVtoolnix which is handy to convert diff file types to MKV
    its also nady when you want to say strip audio tracks out etc

if it still doesnt work it may be a Fel conversion done wrong ..not compatible with our players

13. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Interesting that the Shield can trigger DV on FEL movies.

14. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

and what app can it? kodi - no, vlc - no
    so what app can handle DV on nvidia shield ??

15. afss

afss Active Member

I suspect the shield is simply ignoring the actual Enhacement Layer contained on the FEL data, only treating the RPU portion - This would be the same way as it was playing a MEL file. It would be good enough if Zidoo could replicate what the shield is doing, as It would prevent us on spending countless hours on those FEL->MEL conversions, as well as allow us to preserve the FEL bytes on the file for future use.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  16. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

think theyre using Plex on the sheild ,was having a quick look earlier and thats only posts i could fing on google re sheild and dv

ammar11 likes this.
  17. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I tested Plex for a while and it didn't really play DV stuff, but I only tested the free version.

18. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have the free PLEX app and server on the Shield. It plays MEL and FEL MKV in DV that are created using MakeMKV. You need the very latest version of PLEX. If Nvidia can do it surely the Zidoo team can?!

ammar11 likes this.
  19. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I think that is the best way around it, without us having to manually convert each FEL movies to MEL. If they can do it, I think it’s very likely Zidoo can do the same. What do you think @Markswift2003 @mirror ?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  20. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

are they putting out the full FEL or MEL dolby vision data from the dvhe 07 {disc} or is it just transcoded down to a more basic format ie dvhe 05 used for streaming