Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I dont believe he has a DV display? Rather a projector that may or may not do proper DV? I dont really know... and as most PJs don't do decent DV (always too dark) and need lumagen and hd dury and all kinds other stuff in the chain. And no Oppo means no Oppo lol

Reset_9999 likes this.
  2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Fair enough. I'm not sure we'll really be able to get any sort of resolution on this then :-/. We'll have to wait until 2024 Zidoo's come out (hopefully they do) in order to see if there is any sort of PQ improvement. I thought you were saying that HDR10 also looks better on your Oppo though? Maybe I misunderstood. I have no idea lol.

3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yes, in general all content looks better on the Oppo but that has nothing to do with brightness/colors like the 007 example. Oppo has better dynamic range and motion in my eyes, like you can almost taste the surface of things on the screen, while on zidoo everything looks a bit 2 dimensional. Again though, that's an entirely different topic.

I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of this but I should note I saw this same thing on two different Oppo's. Maybe its my C9... who knows.

4. Jimbo Randy

Yea it's hard for me to visually imagine it without seeing it in person :-/. Wanna hang out? Just kidding, lol. But yea idk. I'm trying to think of some reasons why but I really cannot unfortunately.

5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Sure, do you live in the midwest USA? :D I am preoccupied with a lot of things right now but may eventually tryin to take phots of the Oppo/Zidoo different of that particular scene.

6. Jimbo Randy

Photos would be great! Although you'd need to make sure you had an HDR camera I think? Idk how to take accurate pix of this stuff. You'd also have to view those pics on an HDR10 display. I'm not sure if the differences would show accurately in SDR. I have no idea.

7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

In that case a worthless effort... I have an HDR phone I think but dont think it actually shows in HDR? Who knows, I've never tried.

8. Jimbo Randy

Idk give it a try anyway and see if it shows what you're seeing ha. If it takes pics in HDR then you'll have to view the screenshots on an HDR device. Otherwise it'll look washed out on a SDR device.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Nope, no artistic intent, just bad metadata. As I say, it took a while for everyone (friends of mine included!) to get to grips with mastering in HDR. The wheels fell off a few times but I think everyone is on the same page now...

10. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

Is this the scene you are talking about? FEL slightly improves the grain/details but doesn't really touch the brightness/colors here.
    see: https://slow.pics/c/zvOIOKAI

xskip likes this.
  11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yes, thats the scene! Much brighter than Zidoo on my Oppo. Like it hits you how bright/sunny his face gets on Oppo.

12. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Why do you think the Oppo is correct and Zidoo incorrect?

13. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Cuz Zidoo looks dull and lifeless in comparison to Oppo. But not only that, even the C9 apps have been brighter than Zidoo in the past for DV content. Zidoo is the common denominator with dull picture in DV. And that's two Oppos that I've seen do a better job at PQ.

PS, I dont know why the better picture would ever be wrong in comparison to the worse picture quality on a correct device.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  14. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Because without reference we don’t actually know what is true. “Lifeless and dull” is subjective and may be intended.
    According to Stacey Spears DV is broken on Oppo, so I wouldn’t trust the picture it provides.

15. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

You are correct, there is a DV bug on the Oppo but because of that, its recommended that users use TV-LED DV to alleviate that issue and thus that's what I am using to base my opinion. But sure, without an expert or data/testing, it is just my opinion and we dont really know which is more accurate. But to my eyes, Oppo is better, more natural with more brightness and richer colors in that particular scene.

Frank Kasteren likes this.
  16. I installed nova player today its almost the same quality as the zidoo there is something wrong whit the dv of the Zidoo if a app can almost deliver the same quality the same happens wen playing hdr10plus on the zidoo its to dark on the oppo its not

17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Not surprising as all those apps will use the Zidoo player to play things. If we had an app that didnt we could try that.

18. The app did not use the zidoo player because I installed it on my Google tv tcl 98inch

19. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Wait im confused... you installed it on your TV and it still had the same dark picture like the zidoo?

20. I did not say it wass dark .

I saying the quality is almost the same like the zidoo player .wen you buy a zidoo for 450euro you whant it to be much better then a app you install on your TV that can play the same in 90% the same quality

The image on my zidoo is not dark its only darker whit playing hdr10plus whit dv and hdr10 its bright but not like the oppo the image is more sharp more detailed whit better contrast and blacks
    In my opinion we need a sharpness control on the zidoo and a way to calibrated the output of the Zidoo and still are able two play menus of blurays in tv led mode