JellyfinTv Zidoo-Edition support post

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dude, I just wanted to say that Im so impressed with how youve integrated Jellyfin with the zidoo player. This app is doing things that I wish were possible with Kodi on the Zidoo. Great job! Ive been using this for weeks now and I dont have a single complaint.

2. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

A bug I've noticed in the app is if I've got 2 versions of the same movie grouped together (4K and 3D) if I select the 3D version when I next go to play it its lost where I last watched. I think its because the 4K version is the default and because I havn't watched that version.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  3. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Firstly, I want to thank Andy2244 for this amazing fork of the Jeyfin App

I have had Jellyfin running as a fallback server to PLEX for a while, but due to Andy’s hard work have ditched PLEX and all other Android Boxes in favour of Zidoo with the Forked Jellyfin App. Very impressive

However, I have been successful in installing Beta 5, Beta 6, Beta 7 but not Beta 8. With Beta 8 the login screen is throwing back an SSL Handshake Error ?? and is also stating that Jellyfin 10.8 Server does not work ??

I had to fallback to Beta 7 to get access back to Jellyfin

In addition, based on your notes regarding the main focus being on features, bug-fixes and improving general annoyances, are there any plans on the future roadmap top address:

(a) Genre Selection in Grid Direction ‘Vertical’ Mode – like a drop down function in the top right of the screen next to the ‘AZ’ selection dropdown. This is a real weakness in Jellyfin at the moment as you need to change the Grid Direction to ‘Horizontal’ to access Genre
    (b) Theme’s carried through to better style the Movie Panel page
    (c) Filtering and Retrieval based on Custom Tags

Overall, amazing work and thank you very much for all your development efforts

4. andy22

andy22 Active Member

mhh did work for me, is your sever 10.8 or 10.8.1?
    There was a change regarding this i pulled from master, might be that this broke something. So should be fixed in the next beta.

a) yes that's a missing feature atm, since the vertical grids are relatively new and we just finished fixing all the basic layout issues.
    b) Not really sure what this actually means in terms of what should change or be possible, but theme related features will be handled upstream aka on the base project.
    c) mhh this should be possible, if the server has those tags. The server query system is quite powerful.

PS: Atm we try to fix all the little bugs/isses with the new Android API, so its more backend stuff, which will also only fully work after the new FW are released with the API.
    The other main issue i try to fix, is that we still don't have a seekable transcoding option. I hope i can find a format/way to get this working, but all the main variants via HLS, fmp4 cause issues with the Zidoo player.

5. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

6. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Hi Andy,

In response to your answer, the server was 10.8 (Dockers) and not 10.8.1

Also to note, I spun up a 10.8.1 server on a Pi4 and tested the Beta 7 and noted that it cannot Direct Play only allows playback via Stream

a) yes that's a missing feature atm, since the vertical grids are relatively new and we just finished fixing all the basic layout issues.

Thanks for noting and I hope it features in your Fork

b) Not really sure what this actually means in terms of what should change or be possible, but theme related features will be handled upstream aka on the base project.

@Hippoponderous - link below explains the issue well, thanks for adding the post

c) mhh this should be possible, if the server has those tags. The server query system is quite powerful.

Very nice future addition

Post the backend work, another key feature would be having 'Thumbs' or 'Small Posters' by the side of a Playlist Entry.

Use Case - Movies are saved to a Watch List (Playlist) for future playback, but the current action is it only lists as text string the name of the movies without visual representation of what the movie, etc is about. You have to click > Small Menu > Open Movie to see. Very convoluted process

I look forward to testing the new beta release and reporting back

7. mattmarsden

Andy is this something you could look at and fix?

8. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I cannot even adjust settings anymore without jellyfin crashing, i did delete cache and reinstall as well. Keeps crashing to android home screen . This is getting old now. I find it unusable at this point. Not sure what broke from .15 to .17. It did say had to update to official docker as ich777 was deprecated . So i did that and am on server 8.1, Did a quick connect and logged back in. but its busted. When clicking trailer to play it launches youtube app for google play. and is muted by default. Also is pulling wrong default tracks. Usually Eng DTS and not DTS-HD MA or Atmos DTS-X etc.

9. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Not sure that seems like a server issue, all the client does is report the playback state to the server and on next play we retrieve the resume state from the server.
    So i guess the server handles this on a per file basis not on a logical entry basis.

You need to-be more specific, what settings, versions ... If you want something fixed at least i need to-be able to understand what causes the bug/crash and ideally can reproduce it.

"It did say" ? The client has nothing to-do with docker, so what does this mean?

Yes getting trailers to work with the internal players or youtube-dl is still in the works.

The logic tries to select the best quality audio track, not just the default. So codec, channels, bitdepth, sampling rate and default flag is weighted.
    Need to retest if something is missing, DTS-HD MA should be picked over the normal DTS track, unless its a forced track.

Maybe you can upload a cut example file, with the wrong behavior?
    You can cut to a 50-100mb example via ffmpeg:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i test_file.mkv -map 0 -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:v copy -fs 100M out_file.mkv

10. mattmarsden

If I do the same thing on browser version it works correctly so I think its something to do with the app.

11. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Hi Andy,

I wanted to feedback that I have upgraded to 10.8.1 (Synology + Docker) and can now use Beta 8 - 0.13.17 with no SSL Handshake issue.

However upon setting up a second Jellyfin server (10.8.1) on a Pi4 (NFS Mounts and Direct Play) it keeps crashing with Beta 8 - 0.13.17 ??.

I have tested this server with a Minix U22-XJ box running the standard Android Jellyfin release and experienced no issues or crashes

Crashes are occurring on stopping playback or using the back button while videos are playing and a black screen presents for circa 5 seconds then booted out to the App selection screen

Details on the two servers below for reference

Working (Synology NAS + Docker)
    Server: Jellyfin
    Version: 10.8.1
    Operating System: Linux
    Architecture: X64

Crashing (Pi4 + DietPi)
    Server: Jellyfin 2
    Version: 10.8.1
    Operating System: Linux
    Architecture: Arm64

12. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Do you get the same crash without direct play or via smb instead of NFS?

Working on beta9 atm, which should be out soon. Will try to retest the nfs code, since http/smb works for me without crashes.

PS: What did you setup for nfs network paths?

13. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  14. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately I had an issue with setting up samba on the Pi and had to go with NFS share so cannot confirm. Just tested without direct play (stream) and its still crashing in the same manner on the Pi4 (Arm64)

Both server have NFS Network paths set for Direct Play .

Pi4 path's look like

nfs://192.168.1.xxx/volume1/TV_Misc/:/Factual/

nfs://192.168.1.xxx/volume1/Documentaries/:

Synology + Docker path's look like

nfs://192.168.1.xxx/volume1/movies/:

nfs://192.168.1.xxx/volume1/4k/:

15. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Hi Andy,

Updated Firmware on UHD3000 to v6.4.18_G

Spun up another Jellyfin instance on the NAS (Docker) to test if the crashing issue was a Pi4 (Arm64) issue

Tested the new release of Beta9. Working with no issues with main Jellyfin Server (Direct Play via NFS). Stopping playback was fine

However on the new Jellyfin instance (same setup, same hardware) , I tried same NFS paths and even got SMB working with Direct Play but I can only use Legacy Direct Path and not 'Pass Direct Path for external player' as it brings up the splash screen with incorrect paths

Now when I payback via NFS or SMB with Legacy Direct Path, videos play but when stopped is evoked, Jellyfin crashes. Below is a snippet of the crash log from the server

Good news found the issue: In Authentication > Automatic Sign In - if set as a user to auto login and the same user exists for other server, this causes this crash issue

16. mattmarsden

I can't seem to get the loading backdrop to work - I'm on Z9X firmware 6.4.18. Also I need legacy paths enable for it to work with SMB paths from my Windows server.

17. mattmarsden

Oh, and would there be any chance of looking at the resuming for 2 grouped movies. Thanks

18. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Oh this looks like a general bug, will setup a issue on upstream.

"The legacy paths" should only be needed for some NFS configs and older firmware and yes it cant use backdrops, since this was added to the new API only.
    So SMB should work without the legacy option? Can you post your network paths config and setup? I did test all kinds of SMB variations via Win11 and all worked.

I have it on my list, but will be a bit until i can get to the usability improvements. There are still quite some basic issues i need to fix first.

PS: The issue with NFS is that the new API only accepts a single export/share-name similar to how SMB works, so "nfs:/home" works with new, but "nfs:/home/test" does not. So as a workaround you can export your NFS paths via bindmount to a single name at root like /export_nfs or /export_nfs_movies. I hope this can get fixed soon, but have no answer yet from the Zidoo dev.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  19. mattmarsden

Thanks Andy - my smb paths look like this: smb://server/e

20. mattmarsden

I'm wondering whether this 6.4.18 firmware that hasn't been officially released contains the API changes?