Beta version v6.3.75 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 release.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes - just sent you one..

2. Markswift2003

I'd have to assume there's a problem with the files. The last firmware has a couple of fixes to allow certain badly encoded DV files to play, but with properly compliant Dolby Vision files there hasn't been an issue with DV playback for a long long time.

The trouble is that every man and his dog are spitting out crappy DV files at the moment without the slightest idea of how they should be generated - some work and some don't - it mainly seems to to be down to a mishandling of the RPU.

3. Thanks, I'll give it a try unless I hear back that the file has an issue, which would surprise me.

4. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

some are even converting the hlg hdr10 file info to "create" a dv version

5. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Just to add to this there are no official BD50 ISO 4K DV files, they would be BD66 or BD100.
    If you have BD50's then as Mark says they are custom encodes and could be badly created.

Илья likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Ok, tested the clip and played it through several times.

No issues here - no stutters at all - can you confirm that you see the problem if you play that clip rather than the whole movie.

7. Markswift2003

There's merit in converting HDR10+ metadata into RPU data if you have a Dolby Vision display and not HDR10+, but unless you regrade using official Dolby enabled software (and ideally hold a Dolby Vision Mastering Licence for L2 processing) , I can't see any merit in "converting" HLG or HDR10 to Dolby Vision.

xskip likes this.
  8. Delfanboy

Delfanboy New Member

I see! Cheers Mark! I'm still holding on to 3.60 fw, however seeing the latest fw could eliviate the issue I'll give it a go and test it out with other files as well.

9. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I can test the file also if you want guys. Just sent me the link and I will try to see how it behaves in my player.

But in general I can say that I playback a lot of Dolby Vision MKV encodes (No remuxes for obvious space reasons) lately and none of them have any problems for me. The only problems I had was with these three Dolby Vision encodes that originated from UHD releases and not from some streaming service (these always played good for me and I have tried a lot). As Markswift2003 said they probably still trying to figure out how to make them that's why they were problematic but even these with the latest .75 firmware playback smoothly as butter so kudos to the Zidoo team for figuring out how to make them play good!

Markswift2003 since it seems you know your way around these terms can you tell me why most Dolby Vision encodes use BL+PRU and only very few I have seen with BL+EL+RPU (including the problematic ones that play good now). I searched in Google but to be honest I couldn't find an article that explains all these in detail and I am really interested in learning how all this works.

10. Markswift2003

It very much depends on where the files came from - I just tested a box with v6.3.60 on it with some of my own encoded files and they played fine without updating to .75.

These are both Profile 7 FEL and MEL files where I've encoded the base layer using StaxRip and then converted to Profile 8 using Dovi_Tool.

11. Markswift2003

BL+RPU would indicate that they have been converted to Profile 8 which doesn't have an Enhancement Layer (EL).

BL+EL+RPU indicates Profile 7 which has two video layers, although in a lot of cases the second layer does not contain any video information only a mid grey field as a placeholder (MEL - Minimal Enhancement Layer vs FEL - Full Enhancement Layer)

As an aside, Profile 4 is also dual layer, but it's rarely, if ever, used.

xskip and serg fedorov like this.
  12. Delfanboy

Delfanboy New Member

Tbh, this completely got me mixed up xd. I've been gettin' my movies from the same site for the past 6 years, to be more precise from the same 3 uploader! Are you saying that i'd be better off encoding the P7 MEL, FEL files like you do? Or is it possible to just grab a good P7 FEL release and play it? P7 MELs plays fine on its own. I'm having a hard time finding 1:1 uploads of movies and I have no problem with using various formats neither space to store those.
    Excuse my questions, it is quite hard to wrap my head around proper DV let alone dealing with issues that has very little article on.

Cheers,
    D.

13. Playing the clip I did not experience stutters, but playing the movie I had stutters within that section. I should mention tho that the stutters don't happen constantly when playing the movie but at seemingly random points, about a dozen times maybe within the first 7 minutes of the film.

14. Markswift2003

I can only tell you what I do - you have to decide for yourself the best route.

I rip discs to a 1:1 remux using MakeMKV for first viewing. On occasion I'll leave this as a remux after the first view but more usually I'll encode to save storage space. I encode to 25Mps which to my eye is generally indistinguishable from the original.

It's a bit more complicated with Dolby Vision files, but again, I'll watch the remux first and then encode and convert to Profile 8 - my logic being that the Zidoo ignores the video element of the FEL, and a lot of titles are MEL anyway.

15. Delfanboy

Delfanboy New Member

Gotcha! Thank you very much for clarifying it!

16. Markswift2003

Have you got a list of movies that do this - just wondering if I have any of them here.

17. MVu

MVu New Member

Please post the StaxRip settings you used to re-encode to 25Mps. Screenshots would be good.
    Thx.

18. Markswift2003

I'm using NVEnc with this command line argument:

--vbrhq 25000 --codec h265 --preset quality --level 5.1 --output-depth 10 --ref 4 --lookahead 24 --qp-init 1 --max-bitrate 40000 --aq --output-buf 128 --colormatrix bt2020nc --colorprim bt2020 --transfer smpte2084 --mv-precision q-pel --cabac -i -o _out.h265_out.h265

19. MVu

MVu New Member

and would that work with most 4K rips, preserving original audio (Atmos, DTSX, etc.)?

I have Geforce 1070 graphic card, how do I run the command line to do that?
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  20. Markswift2003

It'll work will all rips, not just 4K and audio passes through untouched.

Once you have NVEnc up and running in Staxrip, try the template below - this is what I use for all 4K conversions.

https://mega.nz/file/we4mRTKA#4kiRy3vTQY2-oT9XAL3Dbf8QUYTQXCh4G8ad5G9Hv6s