Zidoo Z9X / HDFury

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Edworld, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Edworld

Edworld Member

Hello,

I am patiently waiting for my Zidoo and in the meantime I am doing some research.

I have a Denon 4520 Receiver that is probably 10 years old. I know it doesn't process Dolby Atmos, but I was wondering if I can connect the Zidoo to the Denon and then to my Sony A80k and get Dolby Vision.

How stable is Zidoo while playing a 4K MKV file? I do not want to damage my speakers.

I have also been using Kodi for over 10 years and I know my files are named correctly. For whatever reason, Zidoo doesn't like commas in file names but I can easily make it work. My question is regarding Actors /Actresses which are in my C drive linked in the NFO file I have for every movie. Will Zidoo scrape actors from TMDB or can I direct Zidoo to use my local media including Actors?

Thanks in advance

2. Edworld

Edworld Member

I have a HDfury question:

I don't want to replace my Denon 4520 and need to split video and audio on my Z9X. Which HDfury do I need of the ones that they are currently offering?

Along the Denon 4520 I have a Sony A80CK

Thanks

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If all you want to do and all you foresee doing in the future is using it to split audio off then a simple AVR Key will do the trick.

Going from there you can look at an Integral 2, Vertex, Vertex 2, Vroomm.

From the Vertex 2 and upwards you have control via a web server. AVR Key, Integral 2 and Vertex all use a GUI program which requires USB connection to a PC to use.

4. Edworld

Edworld Member

@Markswift2003

If I go with a Integral 2, is it a plug and play or plug and pray?

I spent some time reading avsforum and most of it went over my head

Thanks

5. Markswift2003

No, it's not plug and play. There's a bit of a learning curve.

6. Edworld

Edworld Member

7. David Dean

David Dean New Member

I can recommend the Orei hda-935 - been using one on my Panasonic OLED TV without EARC to my Sonos Beam 2 and 2 x Play 1s

8. Edworld

Edworld Member

Thanks, I will check on amazon

9. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Just an fyi, the AVR Key isn't made any longer, so youll have to search around a bit to find it. However, it is plug and play. I use this since I also have a very old AVR and can confirm that it works perfectly. If you can't find the AVR Key, then you'll need an Integral 2 or higher model.

10. Jimbo Randy

@Markswift2003 what is the difference between the integral 2 and vertex 2?

Also I'm pretty sure the only way to get an AVR Key now is ebay :-/.

11. Edworld

Edworld Member

Ive been checking ebay with no luck. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-Audio-E...094PPVKFL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

12. Jimbo Randy

13. Edworld

Edworld Member

It does work, but I need to run more tests. You can buy an entry level Denon at costco for $400

14. Jimbo Randy

Yea that's what I'm saying. I might as well just buy a new AVR rather than buying a $400-500 HDFury device.....that would just be stupid lol. The only reaosn I'm still interested in the HDFury Vertex 2 is becuase you can edit Metadata.

15. Markswift2003

Main operational difference is the web server - the Integral 2 doesn't have one. But the Vertex 2 is also way more flexible.

Chalk & Cheese.

16. Jimbo Randy

Got it. It's kind of a shame that they discontinued the AVRKey. It was fairly cheap and did a fantastic job :-/.

17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

May be a stupid question but does A80K not support DV natively? If it does, you can just connect Zidoo directly to it and use the receiver for audio via ARC.

Also, not sure I understand the question about playing M4K KVs (which Zidoo has zero issues with) and damaging speakers?

Edworld likes this.
  18. Jimbo Randy

FYI apparently the direct replacement for the AVR Key is the "arcana 2 vrr" for $350. Sucks because the AVR key was $150...but that's what you need if all you want to do is split audio/video. At that point I'd probably just spend a little extra and get a new AVR.

19. Jimbo Randy

There is no reason why a 4k MKV file would damage speakers unless you crank the volume up and blow them out? I am also confused about this question.

20. Edworld

Edworld Member

If I connect the zidoo to the sony and from the sony to the Denon, everytime I hit the pause button in the middle of a movie I can hear a click on my speakers and that is what I am trying to avoid.