Z9X How to unbrick (UP.. logo stuck)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Yurii, May 29, 2023.

1. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Yes, I did. Here is what I have on the USB-drive: upload_2023-6-1_21-19-57.png

2. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Z9X_P_v6.3.92_202203292025_usb-install.img -> install.img -> MD5 85 1e 02 36 7c 6f 7b 30 3a c1 11 b0 99 7d bd a8

3. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Also I have this FW file Z9X_P_v6.0.22_202008111916_usb-install.img -> MD5 33 84 1e 9a b7 a5 68 78 52 38 1b 09 7c 9b 9f 37

Could you please check and confirm that I have a good FW files (with correct MD5)?

4. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Looks like I totally bricked my Ziddo :(
    Now I can't type in terminal after I boot the Zidoo and hold <ESC> -> TV-box stuck in any case :(

So, I think that the last option left to save my ем-box is to send it by mail to China to the Zidoo-factory to reflash it from scratch.

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Mark and OP really tried... sucks man. Hopefully Zidoo can make things right for you.

7. Yurii

Yurii New Member

I know the guys were trying to help me - thanks for that. My Zidoo Z9X is on its way to the Zidoo factory. I have faith that they will fix it. I'll keep you posted.

B0RN likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

Let's hope so :)

9. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Hey there!
    I have an update: today I got my Ziddo back from Zidoo service center - they restored it! All movies plays well.

But I have a one question to all of you: I have noticed that the current firmware version on my device is 6.3.92, but I have also seen that there is a newer version available, 6.4.62. I would like to inquire if it is recommended to update to the latest firmware version. Is there any significant benefit or improvement in the newer version, or would it be advisable to keep the current firmware as it is?

And one more time - THANKS to service<@>zidoo.tv!

10. Markswift2003

Great news!

v6.4.42 is the current non-beta version and most seem to agree it's more stable than the latest v6.4.62.

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/downloadList/target/VEMg6VRC2+9KKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Personally I had no issue with v6.4.62 but maybe given your experience above you would maybe be wise to stick to v6.4.42 which has quite a number of fixes over your current version which is from April last year. v6.4.42 is from November last year.

I have a lot of test boxes on various firmwares but in my cinema I have a Z9X on v6.4.42 and see no reason to change.

xskip likes this.
  11. Yurii

Yurii New Member

[Markswift2003], thank you for your reply. I will test my Ziddo like is it. And after that will try v6.4.42. Kind of scary to upgrade lest I have to ship to China again.

12. Markswift2003

I've occasionally seen these players get bricked when loading a full USB update using the emergency procedure (I've done it myself!) but I must admit I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else bricking it with a standard firmware upgrade.

13. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Ahh. I just upgraded it to v6.4.42 and ... and it just got worse ((( On v.6.3.92 movie played with one short freeze at the begging. On v6.4.42 the same movie totally stopped and Wi-Fi disconnected ((( Can you advice how to downgrade to v.6.3.92 ?

14. Markswift2003

I don't think the problem is v6.4.42.

Probably just a WiFi glitch but you should always use wired ethernet for local streaming, especially 4K - I'd never recommend using Wifi.

15. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Here is my SpeedTest via WiFi:
    upload_2023-7-19_21-47-32.png
    I guess this should be enough...

But anyway, I tried via cable - the result was the same (

And today with the same Wi-Fi on v.6.3.92 the result was a much better that on v6.4.42.

16. Markswift2003

Internet (WAN) speed test isn't really relevant to streaming video on a LAN - and as far as Wi-Fi goes it's not about speed, it's about robustness.

If you're getting the same problem with a cable, I would suspect the network before the Zidoo - there's nothing in 6.4.42 that would adversely affect network behaviour over 6.3.92.

However, if you really want to go back, you can follow this procedure:

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/support_guide/guide_target/TFlGi84dAUbeq7k9e[ld]3ulg==.html

Make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY.

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/support_guide/guide_target/TFlGi84dAUbeq7k9e[ld]3ulg==.html

(the key points are to format the USB stick to FAT32 and rename the file to install.img)

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I would not try to go back. definitely not in your case. It is always risky.

18. Markswift2003

Agreed - I was in two minds as to whether to include that link...

19. Yurii

Yurii New Member

Guys! I did downgrade to v.6.3.92 yesterday successfully. Situation become better but it still has some freezes in one place. I'm going to do more tests and come to you with updates. See you soon

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

I think it has to be something to do with the network or the files - but honestly, if you can used a wired connection (with a fixed IP address) the connection will be much more robust.

Also, use SMB not NFS.