Z1000pro internal hard disk sometimes not recognised and than listed as corrupted

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Polypenko, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Today after I started my Z1000pro the internal WD 8th Gold HD was not recognised.:(

When I entered the Advanced settings I went to the section Storage were the HD was listed
    as Corrupted.:mad:

A restart of the Mediaplayer did not help, since I had this problem last week as well a factory
    reset of the z1000pro was the solution.

In the storage section I also saw under the Usb heading corrupted.

I only used an usb stick to update the fw but it seems this prompted this error msg. on my z1000pro.

Fortunately all my data was still on the Hd, the WD gold serie is one of the most reliable hd series
    and is only 2 months old, purchased is for my new z1000pro.

So I hope this is a Z1000pro bug, and not a faling HD.

Wonder whether others users have experienced similair issues of that anybody has any clue wat this
    could be.

I'm reluctant to do a Hard Reset, but perhaps this is the only way to get the z1000pro to stop
    reporting this issue.:(

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am not sure this is not a 4Kn drive (4K Logical and 4K Physical sectors).
    For Media Players the cheaper /slower drives are the best (less heat/noise). For a NAS that is a different story.

You need AF/512e compatible drives (16 TByte max). Now with the 16 TByte limit approaching 4Kn HDD's are becoming more common.
    WD8004FRYZ drives are 512e compatible as far as I could see.

3. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Thanks for you reaction.

This is the Western Digital Gold 8tb type number 8004FRYZ:)

Under the advanced heading under storage the USB section is also listed as Currupted whereas
    there is no usb stick presently connected.

So I assume the last time I connected the usb stick to update to fw6.0.66 the z1000pro reported
    it as Corrupted.

Hence my idea that it is not a HD / Usb stick related issue but an interface problem.

Eventhougt the HD is internally connected via sata, it is listed as an USB Hard disk which it
    not is, but the z1000pro does report it this way.

4. Cezary

Cezary Member

My ZIDOO Z1000 PRO shows Sandisk USB corrupted... But there isn't any USB stick connected...

Mabon likes this.
  5. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Thanks for the info I thought I was alone, this could mean that the z1000pro does have a problem with sometimes recognising a HD and or
    usb stick and by some unknown reason list it as Corrupted.

I assume you have used this usb stick before, because that would in itself seem to trigger this error msge.

In respect the my HD false positive msg. HD corrupted results in a Complete factory Reset.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  6. darkeyes909

darkeyes909 Active Member

By "Complete Factory Reset" do you mean flashing the original image. Cuz that sounds pretty risky for bricking it.

7. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

no a normal factory reset, all settings are changed to default but the firmware remains the same.

8. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

Yes, I think we are all getting the same. Zidoo will probably call it a "feature" :mad:. In Zidoo's Media Centre, the Device List shows:

- my USB Memory Stick (Sandisk 64Gb) has a USB Memory Stick icon :cool:

- my HDD (WD Red 6Tb) inside the Zidoo also has a "USB Memory Stick" icon :eek:!!!

- my Zidoo "Storage" (32GB eMMC) has an "HDD icon" :eek:!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Cezary likes this.
  9. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Unfortunately I cannot ignore this, because the moment de z1000pro says the HD is corrupted I'm not able
    to use the HD.:mad:

Only a Factory reset will free it again, and than I have reset my prefered settings each and every time.

The next time I get this error, I will first remove the HD from the bay, do a restart and than place it back to see
    if that helps.

Not sure if the following could be contrbuting as well, I use the Standby poweroff feature, this will enable faster
    booting of the z1000pro instead of poweroff.

10. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Just installed fw 6.0.80 initially my 8tb HD was recognised and all data was available.:)

The second time I booted up the MP the HD was listed as "Corrupted" and I had to do a Factory
    reset to solve this issue.:mad:

I have still no idea what is causing this issue.:(

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Mabon likes this.
  11. darkeyes909

darkeyes909 Active Member

tried brand new, freshly formatted WD gold 6Tb, Seagate Iron Wolf 4Tb, older but freshly formatted WD green 4Tb. All start out ok, and with in a few days (or sometimes hrs.) show as corrupted and the OS starts to begin locking up, and other odd behavior until I pull the HD and do a reset. Only using external Hd at this point. Also disks often disappear from smb which dune and shield don't experience. Also sometimes files on external disks just don't show although they do on PC. Even after restarts.

12. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

This is what I'm seeing (with both 6.0.66 and 6.0.80)

drives.png

The Internal Shared Storage is the Zidoo's own "Storage"

The Sandisk 64G USB is the USB Memory Stick I just used to do the upgrade

The Zidoo HDD is my own WD Red internal hard disk

But I've no idea what the "Corrupted" USB drive is ... I don't have any external devices connected :eek: !!

I've rebooted several times but the mystery drive keeps reappearing.

13. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

This is very strange indeed, I had no problems ever with my previous Z1000 with a Seagate 4tb HD.

I hope this issue can be solved by Zidoo, but it is happening at random so I have no idea what is actually causing this problem.

Mabon, I also have on the third line the USB drive corrupted msg. even with the new FW, I'm very reluctant to perform a socalled Hard Reset using the restore procedure and installing the recover software, because I'm not shure this will help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Mabon likes this.
  14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I saw this yesterday too, after upgrading to 6.0.80. Don't seem to be having any issues right now though. Not sure if it has been present on earlier firmwares.

Mabon likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Am I right in saying this is an issue that has only happened in recent firmware?

If so can you confirm the last known good firmware?

16. Nice Monkey

Android (=Google) has implemented NTFS via the make it work approach not reading the specifications and implementation accordingly. So many variables and features are not implemented. As a consequence NTFS is far from robust as NTFS should be (the FAT 2nd copy is written but never verified to be identical on read e.g.).
    Cutting the power is a dangerous action so is swapping a HDD without doing an Eject prior to this specially on Android based devices.

Finding errors you need to put the HDD in a W10 machine and do recovery there. Best is using a good recovery program for that.

Mabon likes this.
  17. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

I received the z1000pro early november, and updated it directly to version 6046 than 6066 and now 6080.

The problem for me started from 6046, perhaps Darkeyes909 ric can kindly comment since he has the exact
    same problem occuring with three different Hard Disks and hoping he has used older firmware.

18. Polypenko

Polypenko Active Member

Thanks for this information, it still remains strange the Z1000 I owned for 9 months worked perfecty with the internal hd.

The strange things is that after you do the factory reset the hd is recognised again you don't need to remove the HD.
    (so I believe it is a software releated issue)

When the Z1000pro is booting up at the very end of the process the Hard Disk data is accessed
    which makes sence, but it seems to take much more time than that I recall with the Z1000.

You purchase a z1000pro amoungst others for the internal hard disk bay, so this feature should at least work correctly.

Nb.: just booted up and I received the msge. "Detected the EXTERNAL device" so eventhough
    it is clearly an internal HD the zidoo sees it as an usb external HD.

Attached Files:

Mabon likes this.
  19. Nice Monkey

It may well be possible that a bug was introduced here. Seen multiple that slipped in with Z9X updates including 80.
    My point is having errors on it these should be dealt with and Android will never do that for you.

Yes I have seen Android corrupting some HDD files regularly and W10 also sees these too trying to recover.
    Happened on all Android based media players I ever owned which are plenty.

A structural problem with OpenWRT e.g. was that changes made with it on the HDD were not propagated to Android. Having two OS doing autonomous changes on the same resource is not really very safe.

Mabon likes this.
  20. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

Does this apply to USB Memory Sticks also?

I first noticed the "Corrupted" message when I was transferring files from a Windows 10 desktop to the Zidoo 1000 Pro using a USB Memory Stick, and NOT doing an Eject on the Zidoo :mad:!!! So I assumed that was the cause of the problem?