Z10 Pro with A90J - Player-led DV vs TV-led

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Blader, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Blader

Blader New Member

Hi All,

I use Z10 Pro 6.3.75. - hooked up to Bose 700 soundbar and A90J

When I use player led DV -everything works fine - i get 12bit video on the info,
    If I use TV-Led I get 8bit in video info. How come? A90J is probably the best DV tv or among the best - why does TV-led give me 8bit?

I was watching my Species ISO backup.

Thank you.

2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Because that's the way TV-LED works. Everything will be sent over an 8-bit HDMI tunneling stream.

Blader likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If I had a dollar/euro/pound for every time I've read that question....

ccart and Blader like this.
  4. Markswift2003

Probably have about 20 quid :D

ccart likes this.
  5. Blader

Blader New Member

Thank you-I guess first time learning about everything)

So technically which setting is better in my case? I don't really see the difference visually.

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Would like getting 1 Euro for that one.

The best is the one you like most. If they are close with no preference then it does not matter. :rolleyes:

Blader likes this.
  7. Blader

Blader New Member

Thanks) Looks like I need to open a euro account!)

Any reason why you have so many media players - does each have something unique that you need? (Dune vs Zidoo) ?

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello Blader,

It's not complicated

- They have a lot of money.
    - They didn't pay them or not all of them.
    - The multimedia boxes are their hobby, they collect them and are on a well-aligned shelf
    - To make comparisons between brands.
    - All of these answers at once.

What is good for us lambda users is that these people allow us to know the qualities and weaknesses of each brand.

For example, recently on social networks I read the opinion of 2 people who have Dune HD, Zidoo and Zappiti RTD1619DR and who indicate that the Dune HD is better than the Zidoo and Zappiti in audiophile after tests and that the image quality of Zappiti rtd1619dr is better than that of Dune HD and Zidoo after tests.

Thanks to them we can make an informed choice.

See you soon

9. Nice Monkey

@OlivierQC I can confirm a Dune produces (slightly) better sound via HDMI than Zidoo (have no Zappiti) . I guess it is due to using a superior quality crystal on the standard mainboard.
    Only the Zidoo Neo X and Neo Alpha again use even a better crystal and beat the tried by me Dune Real/Pro/Max Vision models (likely even Dune Ultra Vision?).

I can't confirm (or explain) any potential difference on video image quality with Zappiti. Above all with Dune it uses the same HW and shares the video FW for that part. A quality linear CPU can be found also on HiFi models from Dune and Zidoo not really resulting in superior Video observed by me with any model.
    Zidoo recently optimized black levels playing DV with the latest FW update. Maybe that difference was meant?

@Blader No having that many is not essential but got slightly out of control over the years. Frankly have even many more than listed here.
    Having a Dune, OPPO and Zidoo yes results in optimal conditions for different audio/video source formats but my OPPO became almost out of use by now. For optimal DVD/BD-Menu handling as-is a Dune/OPPO remains essential next to having a Zidoo.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  10. OlivierQC

Thanks for the information Nice Monkey it's a pleasure to read your posts, and thanks for confirming what I wrote in my previous post about Dune HD vs Zidoo regarding audio.

For those who have an audiophile use, take into account the opinion of Nice Monkey.

As for the NEO alpha, it's the showcase of the know-how of Zidoo sold at an excessive price vs the competition.

11. Blader

Blader New Member

Thank you all for the info! I recently saw Zapitti Reavon BD player selling, but i think the internal circuitry is way worse than Oppo!
    For my main BD disks with no backup I still use Panny 9000)

12. OlivierQC

Welcome and enjoy your AJ90,

I have an old 77A9G with Zidoo and I am very satisfied with the image quality that this combo offers

13. Blader

Blader New Member

Thank you Oliver! A90J indeed looks like a charm)

This conversation of sound quality reminded me of one instance:

I was testing a backup of Eric Clapton's 4K BD - Lady in the Balcony and switching between KODI on shield and z10 Pro. The sound quality on shield was significantly better than Z10 Pro, it could've been volume levels too, but I think shield had more clarity. Given that that was a high-end audio mastering on that BD it's probably a safe bet to assume that shield has better quality audio than z10 pro?

Most of my Live BDs I play on Panasonic so it's not an issue.

14. Nice Monkey

HDMI sound of Neo X and Neo Alpha is at least as good as of any OPPO or Panasonic model BD player as reported to me by multiple owners.
    Never really compared my baby Dune with my OPPO-203 but these are close and yes better than the other Zidoo models.

15. Blader

Blader New Member

Thank you for the feedback Nice Monkey. I am waiting for the next chipset before I splurge on the next media box , which can hopefully decode all lossless tracks natively (like shield) - might never happen. I feel that to spend the extra money on the new media box just for better sound is unwarranted in my case. Might as well get a used oppo or two for the price of Neo)

16. Nice Monkey

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ther-knowhow-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/

Which lossless tracks can't be decoded right now? I do know only of one and that is MLP on DVD-Audio. Never heard a Shield could do that? But for sure an OPPO will but misses a lot of features compared with a Zidoo. Mine is almost only collecting dust.

Converted my most popular DVD-Audio to HD FLAC to bypass that limitation. Obviously missing the menu and extra's then. Occasionally still use my OPPO for that everything else the Neo Alpha can do better. For some BD-Menus (including Pure Audio BD's) use my baby Dune.

Potentially a Zidoo can unpack/decode MLP including 2CH/MCH from a DVD-Audio ISO. It requires far less CPU power that doing so for SACD ISO including DSD => PCM. It is just a matter of seeing the need and spending the effort. A new SOC is totally irrelevant for Music Player. Only a bigger/faster CPU would help to facilitate more features like an equalizer.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  17. Blader

Blader New Member

Thank you for a very informative post!) I will need to take some time and read and educate myself there

By lossless decoding I just meant TrueHD tracks decoded internally and output to a soundbar or other speaker (like a regular bd player with license). My bose 700 soundbar does not decode truehd so Zidoo simply doesn't output any sound as it can't decode it. Bose 900 supports TrueHD but drops DTS! I have many more BDs with DTS than truehd so DTS support is more important to me. So far only Shield (KODI) and probably Oppo can decode TrueHD from BD backup and output as discrete LPCM I guess?.

Looking for the next chip which can decode that natively:)

18. Markswift2003

The SOC is capable of decoding all these formats - the boxes are just not licensed to do so.

19. Nice Monkey

That is more a matter of licensing/costs I am afraid. Same reason why those Bose soundbar don't include them. Any BD Player with MCH analog outputs has conversion to LPCM on board obviously as it is essential for those to work.

When buying an AMP/Soundbar for movies make sure DD and DTS standards are supported all the way up to DD Atmos and DTS:X to avoid disappointments.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    ccart likes this.