VS10 incorrect black levels when in SDR or HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mattmarsden, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're very welcome - I enjoy troubleshooting stuff like this.

In an ideal world you want to view SDR as SDR, HDR as HDR and DV as DV.

The next best thing is SDR as SDR, DV as DV and converting HDR to DV which is what you've been doing. In fact some might say that's a better solution because VS10 is tone mapping HDR to the TV's capabilities internally same as it does for DV.

Converting HDR and DV to SDR (which is what will happen with the second EDID) is more of a compromise - you're converting BT.2020 colour into the narrower gamut of BT.709 but in reality you'll probably not notice, so it's a good compromise and as I say, the VS10 engine is very good at it.

I thought maybe that EDID would cure the green line because the amp is not receiving anything unexpected - it's all within the realms of what it was designed to do. As I say, you have to make sure that the black floor isn't raised (which is what this thread is about) but I don't think it will be in your case.

If you use Auto, the Realtek engine will be used to convert HDR to SDR and trust me, you don't want to do that! The colour conversion in the Realtek engine is abysmal.

2. burton

burton Member

Οκ
    With the new splitter i can get hdr working with the custom bt2020 lldv edid.but the colors seem a bit greenish...am i wrong?
    Also With the sony 8000h but is not greenish....
    Am i loosing in picture quality with those edids?
    The funny thing i am in auto hdr!the splitter did work.in dv the pq is the same (amp and tv) and in hdr tv perfect and amp washed out which is logical i guess

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  3. Markswift2003

I can't really see how a splitter will fix this - if you want to route the video through the amp, that will always be the HDMI bottleneck.

How have you got the splitter connected?

4. burton

burton Member

Input from zidoo
    Output1 tv
    Output2 amp
    Edid of splitter passes the best quality for each output
    Is there a problem using the sony edid.if not problem fixed!
    I guess the amp sends hdr but with wrong colors.the tv with correct.in dv they send the same as 1.4 hdmi compiant....

5. Markswift2003

I doubt that will work - as far as the Zidoo is concerned it can only see one EDID and from what you say that's probably the TV EDID.

I still think an HDMI audio extractor is the way to go (or ideally change the amp, but I assume you don't want to do that).

With the amp, it's not the HDR signal that gets stopped, it's the HDR metadata.

6. burton

burton Member

But the tv shows hdr and dv in its picture settings
    It is receiving hdr...
    The amp tv input does not show hdr only dv....
    Am i missing something?

7. burton

burton Member

Also the splitter has an edid switch.
    It can pass 4k to a tv and 2k to an amp for example.....

8. Markswift2003

I'm kind of wary of boxes that mix and match EDIDs because similar situations as you have with the amp mangling the EDID can arise, but yes, if it will send the TV EDID to the Zidoo with the Zidoo video bypassing the amp and the second output of the splitter passing audio to the amp that should work - that's what I originally suggested as an HDMI audio breakout but I didn't think you wanted to do that because you lost the amp OSD.

9. burton

burton Member

I have not lost the amp osd as i change the hdmi input.
    Above i forgot to mention that Output 2 is amp and the amp to tv.So i change the tv inputs accordingly.
    To see the movie i choose zidoo>splitter>tv(hdmi1) and to see OSD zidoo>splitter>amp>tv(hdmi2).

10. Markswift2003

Gotcha - you'd love HDFury devices ;)

rozel and burton like this.
  11. burton

burton Member

I guess i do.....I hope that i will not have any more problems, or else i will bother you again!
    Thank you again for everything, and if you ever come to Greece the beers are on me.

12. burton

burton Member

Now that hdr is in auto,
    should i use tv led or player led?my sony tv is dv capable.

13. Markswift2003

Your TV is Player Led DV only so choose that - it shouldn't matter because the EDID doesn't allow TV Led but better to set correctly.

Haha! I'd love to go to Greece!!

14. burton

burton Member

I am curious why the edid does not allow tv led?
    Why does it exist as an option?

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Since getting my HDfury just after I got my Z1000 Pro, I have not had an issue other than my kak-handiness at times. It takes a bit of getting used to but Mark is the expert and with his help/advice getting one is a no-brainer.

16. Markswift2003

Your TV doesn't support TV Led Dolby Vision - The EDID is just a file that tells external equipment what the capabilities of the display are.

In the Zidoo menu it's just a priority setting that's there for those TVs that support TV Led Dolby Vision.

17. burton

burton Member

Oh i see.
    So, two more questions as i if havent asked too many so so far....

I get hdr and dv with tv hdmi input not in enhanced mode.is that logical?
    The hdr looks very black....is that normal with hdr?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  18. Markswift2003

I don't know what "enhanced mode" is for your TV - I suspect it's HDMI 2.0 vs HDMI 1.4 for standard mode but I'm not sure.

In that case, you should select enhanced, but it would still work in standard just at 300MHz, not 600MHz (so 12-bit 422 for 4K23)

No, HDR should not look "very black" - there shouldn't be any great difference between SDR, HDR or DV in overall APL - what setting do you have in Settings/Display/Colour Settings/HDMI Range ?

19. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello Burton,

I have a Sony TV and of course the HDMI signal format is set to Enhanced format.

And these are my settings with my Zidoo devices

[​IMG]

See you

dr4go, rozel, pcristi and 2 others like this.
  20. Markswift2003

Thank you Olivier - very nicely done :)

rozel likes this.