VS10 incorrect black levels when in SDR or HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mattmarsden, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

[​IMG]

sebna and Markswift2003 like this.
  2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

I get a chuckle every time I see people saying to intentionally cause a full/limited mismatch on these setups.

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's why most displays just do it automatically - but it's not as daft as it sounds if done by a video processor (depending how it gets requantised)

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  4. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

You mean with video processors like madvr and stuff? PC home theater stuff is nuts. With the zidoo-type boxes, it seems like limited-limited is the correct chain, right? I'm not super familiar with madvr and other video processors so maybe they do stuff differently idk.

Oldpainless likes this.
  5. sebna

sebna Member

Mark,

Is there a test pattern or a way to reliably confirm what those players are doing or in general if player / display combo display correct HDMI range in the end without clipping?

You previously produced table with numbers - where those theoretical or practical measurement of some sorts?

Why DMD guys claim that there is a problem?

What DMD does is beyond my skill (and mostly knowledge) level to be able to say it is wrong or right. I take it what they say and try to verify is somehow either by peer discussion like we do here or in practice, using my high-tek eye balls ;)

You obviously see it as mostly or fully incorrect what they say they tested but at the same time seems to me so far like you are basing it on theoretical assumptions about how this should work when correctly implemented. While DMD claims that is where the problem is and that it was incorrectly implemented by Dune / Realtek / Zidoo hence why the odd fix of mismatching levels.

When I asked DMD how to test it they wrote the following:

I followed up with some questions as I wanted to understand why they want me to set LG Oled (that was the discussed set) to 65 brightness which with LG Oleds is basically gamma control (AFAIK) so setting it to 65 would lower gamma to something under 2 when my gamma is set to 2.2 and also why they recommend increasing brightness without even discussing gamma setting in the first place...

Have not heard from them yet and it has been few days already.

BTW I have also moved on from HTPC setup for the same reasons as @Oldpainless but that does not mean I want to maximize my chain for best PQ available.

I mean what is the point of spending on Pro calibration when then player is undoing some of it...

BTW, all those questions are not meant to be inflammatory. I am just hoping that we can get to the bottom of it.

6. sebna

sebna Member

Also, If I may suggest something. The graphics you have kindly prepared few posts up to illustrate range squashing etc by media file / player / display would be much easier to read if rainbow colours would be used to fill the rectangles rather than so similar looking shades of white / gray / black / near black. Just to better picture the message.

7. Markswift2003

Yes, Spears and Munsil have a full suite of test patterns on their test discs including clipping patterns.

Unfortunately the Zidoo isn't very good at playing the full disc so I found the best way is to figure out which pattern is which m2ts file and convert to mkv.

https://spearsandmunsil.com/products/

8. Markswift2003

Er - that's kind of the point. This is luminance not chrominance. Black (0 or 64) to white (940 or 1023).

9. Markswift2003

Maybe I should have said video processing rather than video processor.

10. Markswift2003

Right. @Oldpainless , I'm coming back out the rabbit hole now.

This is a very old thread dealing with a very old and no longer valid issue, so I'm off elsewhere.

Jimbo Randy and Oldpainless like this.
  11. sebna

sebna Member

I realize that it is correct representation of it but it is difficult to read the differences in clipping so I suggested to swap it for colours so it is easily seen when the clipping takes place (even tough that the colours would not be direct representation of what is clipped).

12. sebna

sebna Member

Before you go - can you comment on the test they suggested?