The new 1.4.8 update for X9S

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Ahmad Haghshenas, Jul 24, 2017.

1. n_p

n_p Active Member

@boblo: I was under the impression, that this already was in the 1.4.8 update. Thats why I've written above, that the user could either switch his/her TVs black level, or switch it in the X9S.

It partly resolves the issue.

First - it is still an issue, and maybe I should have voiced it louder, that Zidoo has decided to go with YCbCr FULL (0-255) as an automatic setting, if the TV says in its EDID (think of it as a text file), that it supports it. Because support doesnt mean auto switch to the correct mode. EVERYTHING in the tv/video world expects a limited signal range (16-235) by default. Every TV is set up to reproduce a limited color range by default (some have auto modes that try to adjust depending on the input signal).

But Zidoo has now decided, that it would be a good idea to output YCbCr full by default (if the EDID says, its ok), which no one ever uses - and now that default results in people getting the wrong black level on their TVs. Its not a huge issue, becaue they can change it in the TV settings (or the X9S settings in future (?) firmwares), but according to the argument of "90% of facebook users never heard of the settings page", its a bad idea to make them do anything.

Give them what all TVs expect as a default, and thats a YCbCr limited signal, regardless of how "capable" the TV says it is displaying something else.
    -

Thats one part of the issue. The other part is, the black level mismatch between different video renderers (Zidoos own player in ZDMC, the Kodi player in ZDMC, and the GUI), thats not normal either.

(Its understandable, because video takes a different path through the "gpu" than the GUI, and HW accelerated video might take a different part as well, and Kodi might clip levels - depending on a certain setting, and I dont exactly know how each of their now SIX different video signal modes (3 x2 for limited and full) now interacts with that... but its still an issue. The black level (and according to wesk05s tables even the signal range (levels)) SHOULD NOT change, depending on the app you use. Its another bug they have to fix.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    DELUCAS and boblo like this.
  2. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Thanks for your comments.
    It's nice to hear such frank words from our users.

3. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

I am pleased with my media player now, a few little issues but not a deal breaker.

Will you be improving the Blu-ray Menus? like the alien movies will not display full menus and the latest Alien Covenant during the movie the chapters will pop up then disappear. If you play just the main movie without going through the menu the popup will not happen.

Thanks

4. boblo

boblo Member

If you want to be taken into account, make a NEW thread with a descriptive title and upload a video to a free cyberlocker proving the flaw (i.e, 4shared, Zippyshare, etc.) They need to know the exact conditions to reproduce the issue and "a picture is worth a thousand words". I did that with my bug reports (one of them is related with a disc menu of an old movie) and now Zidoo team is studying them seriously. I recommend this to you.

5. sem1903

sem1903 New Member

last star wars blu ray iso movies have same problem the old ones

another problem when play FLAC player freeze or beginiig to slow

these are in 1.4.6 firmware