Sound delay after the pause

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bill-Z9X, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

It seems the latest FW V6.3.50 is very successful. Except for small problems with a few people,
    most of which are due to local settings or exotic formats, otherwise it runs very well.

Is this perhaps good time for Zidoo developers to look at the sound delay after the pause?
    This is part of basic player functions and would be great if this is fixed sometime.

As a reminder, sound playback is delayed after the pause with DD, DTS, and Atmos.
    Sound formats DTS-HD, Stereo and DTS:X are played back without delay.

Alternatively, an option would be to start playback 3, 5 or 10 seconds earlier after the pause. Then you won't miss anything from the dialogs.

vddan likes this.
  2. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

I have had no issues with sound delay after pause since 6 or 7 firmwares ago. Did you try turning the unit off at the back for a few minutes, then turning it back on to see if it persists?

3. vddan

vddan Active Member

Ditto for me and device restarted many times ........... and that with all the latest firmware!

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  4. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

It is the start delay of the DD, DTS and Atmos sound by approx. 1.5 seconds after the pause -> play. Audio is in sync with video.
    Do you really not have this? I have had this unchanged for a long time, and the player has already been restarted.
    Zidoo connected to Denon AVC-X4700H -> Panasonic TX-65GZW1004

5. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

Same here. If i pause the video and then start, the sound is approx. It starts 2 seconds later. Not slipping, just starts later.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's not a delay, the audio bitstream starts with the video - it's the time taken for the receiver/soundbar etc to sync and decode the bitstream.

This will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and is the reason, for example, a stereo pcm or MP3 track etc starts immediately - there's no need for an outboard processor to decode it.

7. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Mark, sorry, I can't understand that, DTS = delay, DTS-HD = no delay. Also DTS:X = no delay. Can you explain this?

8. Markswift2003

Just depends on how the processor handles each one I guess.

9. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Ok, I will test this with another media player, then AVR must react with the same delay.

10. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

The sound of my DUNE player is also delayed, but just a little. Not like the Z9X. In fact! The sound of my S905X3 Plus Almost no delayed! Not a huge problem, but existing.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  11. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have now made comparison test, I still used a cheap Android Mediaplayer H96 and Zidoo Z1000Pro.
    I used stopwatch, all values are approximate values in seconds

First value by connected on AVR and the second value on TV

DD
    Zidoo 1,9; 1,1
    H96 1,5

EAC3
    Zidoo 1,7; 1
    H96 1,5

DTS
    Zidoo 1,7; 1
    H96 1,4

DTS-HD
    Zidoo 0; 1

It's hard to say if this is really only dependent on the AVR.
    With DTS-HD and DTS:X there is no delay at all, are these formats easier to decode than DTS?

It looks like the delay is here to stay. Then an option with playback from an earlier time would be very good to use.
    But of course optional, preferably several times to choose from, e.g. 3, 5, 10 seconds. I just don't know which one fits better.

Would be great if Zidoo can do this.

12. Markswift2003

It's not so much that it's only dependent on the AVR, it's dependent on whatever the sink is and they will all be very slightly different.

You can see this from your results where the TV is quicker than the Denon to sync to DD, EAC3 and DTS yet slower for DTS-HD.

13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Even standard PCM music needs to kick-in but typically takes under 1 second and will be noticed by only a few. Smart media/disc players use idle frames when paused (or jumping tracks) to keep flows active to avoid resyncs when a stream is reinitiated. Some equipment does it it in HW but I have seen (in fact heard) it also in FW. It is the only way to avoid these slow starts effectively.

You can see it on your AMP indicators as DD/DTS modes then remain active with the applied format. I don't say it is possible or easy with this SOC?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Bill-Z9X likes this.
  14. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I've been complaining about this issue for a long, long time. There were bigger issues with the player that are no solved so now for me this is number one on my wish list.

Is it a problem with the SOC as its certainly not an issue with my AVR as I get NO audio delay using Kodi 19 on my Nvidia Shield.

All the timings below are from the Z9X - as the Shield had NO audio delays coming out of pause

DTS-HD master - 0
    DD 5.1+ - 3
    DD+ with Atmos - 3
    TrueHD/Dolby Atmos - 3
    PCM2 - 0
    DTS-X - 0
    DD2.0 - 3

If it's not possible to remove these delays can an option be added that when a video comes out of pause it can jump back x seconds?

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  15. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Interesting, looks like it does cause DR Chip. I still have a Zidoo Z8 at home, I will test it tonight.
    I've been using it as an IPTV player for a long time, but I don't remember it having a time delay after the pause.

For me too and I don't have a number 2 :)

16. vddan

vddan Active Member

Do like me, I programmed the high and low keys to 15s and after a pause I go back 15s to get the sound ..........:cool:

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Nice bypass.

18. vddan

vddan Active Member

YES ! ;)

19. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

What is the 'high' and 'low' key? Do you mean 'up' and 'down' keys? You shouldn't have to do that though.

20. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I tested with the Zidoo Z8, about the same delays as Z1000Pro. Format selected by AVR remains during pause, but display of channels is no longer displayed.
    If Zidoo could get the sound uphold as Nice Monkey wrote would be great.