Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok, so grey and flat generally means the wrong colour space and wrong gamma - it's what you see when you play HDR10 content (BT.2020 colour, PQ Gamma) in an SDR mode (BT.709 colour, Power Gamma).

You can get the same effect to a lesser extent if Profile 5 content is played in an HDR10 mode.

But we might be overthinking this - it may just be a calibration problem.

2. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

It's not that grey and flat (i know what you mean btw re hdr at sdr color space and gamma). Just a bit more grey and flat.

"it may just be a calibration problem."

That's what I initially thought, so I set both the TV player and the Zidoo HDMI to the exact same settings to be double sure....but who knows what the TV is really doing behind the scenes lol.

Thanks again anyways.

UPDATE - well, knock me down with feather. I bypassed the amp, and the DV picture was then the same as the TV's internal player.,,looks like Yamaha and I have a different definition of dolby Vision "support"! (all set to mode1 for HDR and DV compatibility etc).

Sorry Mark, didn't mean to distract you, so thanks again for your help. Mapping using a custom edid using the DV Vs10 engine is an acceptable compromise, as I'll give up this amp when hell freezes over (despite the rather spurious claim that it supports Dolby Vision!).

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  3. dmk300zx

dmk300zx New Member

Changing the HDR setting did very little to improve things, still unwatchable. Tried to send you the link but I keep getting the following error message: "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator." Sorry but I'm not sure what to do next.

4. Markswift2003

Now that's odd - as far as Dolby Vision itself goes, the amp shouldn't care whether it's DV or not and shouldn't affect the picture on the basis of that.

Have a look into the amp settings - I suspect you have some processing option switched on somewhere - maybe as simple as contrast/brightness not set to default.

Oldpainless likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Put the link in a text file and attach that.

6. Ali Emami

Ali Emami New Member

Hello everyone , this is my first time using a medial player , used to watch movies using a pc with powerdvd , til a friend convinced me to buy a zidoo , so i got a z9x hoping the experience would be better .
    There are many options which i did not have in windows ( and i did google ) so any help would be appreciated
    1 - rgb or yuv ?
    Well in pc , full rgb 32 is always the best choice for better color and display , but after reading the recommended setting in this topic , everyone seems to be leaning toward YUV , i wanted to ask why not RGB ( with hdmi 2.0 ) ?
    2 - every 4k file or iso that i play , switches to dolby vision , although the file is HDR 10 , it does switch to dolby vision . Can i disable dolby vision ? I mean why would it switch to dolby vision when the file is HDR ?
    Or is dolby vision better than hdr ? But when the file is not natively dolby vision would the colors be accurate ?

Any help would be appreciated , Thanks

Ps :
    hdmi 2.0
    Pioneer avr
    Lg b9

7. Markswift2003

1. Everything ends up in RGB at the screen regardless of how it's transported but the video is encoded in YUV (usually 4:2:0) so there's no reason to convert to RGB to transport and increase HDMI bandwidth needlessly.

Ideally you'd want to transport in 10-bit 4:2:0 (for standard encoded 4K) but the HDMI standard does not allow that for 23~30Hz (oddly, it does for 50~60Hz) so that's why I recommend 10-bit 4:4:4.

But if you want to use RGB there's nothing to stop you.

2. For HDR10 content to convert to Dolby Vision you must have HDR set to a VS10 mode - Set HDR to "Auto" and all content will be output natively.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  8. Ali Emami

Ali Emami New Member

Thanks for your help ,
    so if the device switches to dolby vision , the file "IS" natively dolby vision , if my settings are set to auto ?

9. Markswift2003

Yes - you can see this if you open the file in MediaInfo on your PC or press the "Info" button while playing the video on the Zidoo - this will show you the file details and the output mode.

Ali Emami likes this.
  10. in the past when you put a movie that you had seen before and it stayed halfway zidoo gave the option to continue watching it or restart it but from the cover and now only the option when it starts (and lasts a few seconds) there is no way to put it from the beginning from the cover itself and with when the movie is put on?

11. Markswift2003

I quite can't figure out what your problem is here but the way bookmarks and the resume dialog works haven't changed in a long time.

You set the bookmark start and end times in Settings/Playback/Bookmarks.

"Bookmarks Start Time" defines when the resume dialog becomes active and when the video is in "Watching" and "Bookmarks End Time" defines when the video is marked as fully watched.

I have Bookmarks Start set to 1 minute and Bookmarks End set to 5 minutes.

12. Thank you very much for the reply . I want to take advantage of and comment on a problem I have with Dolby Atmos. I have always been able to put atmos without problem and always with the same configuration that is recommended here, but since I am Spanish I usually watch movies in Spanish 5.1 and in the processor I convert it to dolby surround, today I wanted to try several movies that are , which are in atmos because I've seen them once and it wouldn't let me, it only let me dolby truehd I haven't changed anything in the configuration, in other players if atmos brings me the same movies, but in the zidoo (z1000pro) not now and I don't know why it happens. I have done a factory reset and nothing, I have tried different ignition combinations (projector, processor and zidoo) and the truth is that I don't know what else to do. if someone can help me because I'm completely lost Thanks in advance

13. Markswift2003

If Dolby Atmos files play as TrueHD then that would usually mean that your amplifier is not set up for Atmos.

The Zidoo simply sends a raw bitstream - whether that is decoded as the base 7.1 TrueHD layer or the Atmos layer depends on the decoder in the amplifier/receiver.

14. I have an arcam av 40 processor, the fact is that with a panasonic ub9000 with a physical disk and an oppo203 connected by network to the same NAS as the zidoo if it reads atmos

15. It's already solved, the zidoo had been giving me problems for a week when it turned off, it turned off but the display stayed locked as on and I think that must have generated some conflict with that processor input, I've done a factory reset on the zidoo and on the arcam and atmos sound comes out Thanks for the help

16. Markswift2003

Good to hear :)

17. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Is there a limit to how many media sources I can add?

I'm thinking of deleting my current libraries (parent Movie & TV folders with subfolders) & re-adding individual TV series & movie genres folders as separate sources in the hope that only folders with detected changes will update during scans, thus reducing scan times.
    For me, this will mean ~130 separate sources

18. Markswift2003

Suck it and see!!! I've added 10 or so sources while testing, but 130 - I don't think there's a limit, but it'd be an interesting experiment...

19. Hippoponderous

LOL, & a time consuming one at that.
    Thanks.

Edit:
    There appears to be no limit. I've successfully added & scanned 124 sources.
    I've noticed that the auto library scan does take longer to initiate now, but the actual scan time is so much faster, as it's only scanning modified sources. As I might only add 1-2 new episodes & movies every few days, this is a massive improvement.
    The only downsides are the initial library rebuild & having to now manually add new, or remove old/unwanted TV series, but it's a small price to pay for an overall better user experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  20. Hippoponderous

I apologise if this has already been covered somewhere before: Whenever I select an actor/director in the movie info view, all I get is their headshot thumbnail. Nothing is displayed under their personal info & the images & movies/TV show fields are always empty.
    Is there a setting I need to change or do I have to download/add that data manually?