Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

have you tried the "Dolby Vision VS10 engine (for HDR content)" setting under HDR, rather than "auto"?

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

You can tweak the image sting "Brightness" in Zidoo DV direct or once the VS10 engine is on. It will keep the setting for this type of video and you don't have to adjust your TV up and down all the time.
    The image quality after brightness adjustment using VS10 engine even scaled down to HD from 4K DV is really good.

Cranks likes this.
  3. Cranks

Cranks Member

How do we adjust Brightness while using the VS10 engine only? I didn't know it was possible.

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Don't have it in front of me but Zidoo will remember settings for input video type. If you use VS10 engine for DV to scale it down to HDR next time you select DV it will be your previous setting for this video type. Check and let us know. It worked for me on my HD projector. I could play DV and HDR source on regular HD projector. Brightness correction was only applied for adjusted source.

I'll check it again on my TV. Projector has old X9S and can't play DV or HDR at all now there :(

5. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

OK, I checked it on my TV.
    There are few places where you can adjust "Picture Parameters".

After further testing I found that this "picture parameters" is the main adjustment effecting Zidoo Player and main Zidoo page, Poster Wall and anything in Zidoo icons and apps:
    General PP.png

This one is where I made adjustment to black levels for my Epson HD projector. This is to lower base using VS10 engine during HDR and DV conversion to SDR HD. Deep Color setting helps. It will kick in only for HDR content.
    HDR to SDR.png

This appears to be the same adjustment as the one in Quick Settings. This works for all formats up to HDR10 however it is one for all. It doesn't retain separate settings for different formats like HD, 4K or HDR:
    HDR10.JPG

HDR10_PP.JPG

Here is something interesting. DV output doesn't have Picture Parameter function in Zidoo Player and it's not effected by the main Picture Parameter adjustment. Looks like you can't make this tiny 1 step down adjustment for DV content in Zidoo after all. Maybe it's a glitch but I get 3D to 2D force but no parameter adjustment for DV.
    DV.JPG

DV_PP.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Cranks likes this.
  6. Cranks

Cranks Member

Greatly appreciated 3DBuff!!

Thanks for this information.....I'll investigate and see what works best for me.

3DBuff likes this.
  7. Cranks

Cranks Member

So far with my testing, and with a bit of a whim, I tried using the first custom EDID option. Better picture, though I'd like a tad more brightness, but I can't seem to find an option to do this.

Zidoo reports HDR10 and DV are being used as does the Web Gui for my HTP1

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

All that first EDID does is add the ability for the Zidoo to provide BT.2020 LLDV if the display doesn't support it - the idea being that you can get the Zidoo to output BT.2020 LLDV at 1000nits and then get the display to decode this using a standard 1000nit HDR10 setting - if you're not doing this then that EDID will do nothing else for you - other than that, it's just a standard 600MHZ (HDMI 2) EDID with all sound modes enabled.

Cranks likes this.
  9. Cranks

Cranks Member

I tweaked the global picture settings that now the picture is to my liking.

10. clueluzz

clueluzz Member

Is there any way to search for a film in the poster wall by filename instead of the index? also is there a way to look at the catalog file to see what files are tagged with which match?

11. dmk300zx

dmk300zx New Member

I just installed a new Z9X and I am having problems getting Dolby Vision movies to display properly.

My setup is Z9X to Marantz SR8012 receiver using the Zidoo supplied HDMI cable (I have used another 4k cable as well) out to LG GX TV. The discs were ripped in DVD-Fab into mkv format and I set it so it copied the DV info. Here is a screen shot of the dvd-fab settings: Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 8.25.44 PM.png

Every time I try and play a DV movie both the TV (upper right hand corner) and Z9X (upper left hand corner) indicate that it is a DV source but the picture is all snowy with very washed out colors and the image is barely visible.

These are the settings I currently have

Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz

Audio is fine. I have tried to make adjustments in the various settings but nothing seems to work. HDR sources play beautifully. DV sources played directly from my Sony player and Apple TV play just fine. Any help would be most appreciated.

12. Markswift2003

Can you post a link to a 30s clip (use MKVToolnix to split and Mega.nz to post) - I can only think this is an issue with the way the file is ripped.

Try setting HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV Content)" and let me know if that makes a difference.

Your description of "snowy" and "barely visible" is very puzzling - snow is usually associated with a poor HDMI connection and "barely visible" I have no idea!!.

"Washed out colors" usually indicates the wrong colour space and/or gamma setting in the display.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  13. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Hi All,

Quick sanity check to see it I have missed something?

Have been watching DV movies, and thought it looked a bit weird compared to HDR10, but thought, hey, that's DV right? Well, this morning, I used a PC to cast the same file I was watching on the Zidoo directly to the TV's inbuilt player, and to my surprise, the two images look very different. I made sure that the TV was using the exact same settings for the internal player and the Zidoo hdmi input.

I can only describe the difference as if the Zidoo DV image is being clipped (black crush?), as an example, skin tones on the inbuilt player were accurate (?), but skin on the Zidoo was notably darker (like they were wearing tan bootpolish), and the TV player was brighter, by a lot. Like I said, same image settings on the TV.

Zidoo seems to be configured correctly (limited chain, ycbcr 4.4.4 10 bit (DV TV Led with outputs 8bit RGB, but also tried player led, which didn't seem to make a difference), auto refresh on, HDR set to auto. Maxcll/fall on, Enhanced on etc etc.

I haven't tried bypassing the amp, as I'd be surprised if it was the Yamaha 3060 (using premium cables all through the chain).

Everything else is spot on (as an example, there is no difference with HDR10 on the zidoo vs the inbuilt tv player), it's just DV. Zidoo Pro is on the latest FW.

If it helps, I can try and capture the differences by camera.

Cheers.

14. Markswift2003

It sounds like something's wrong somewhere - DV should, if anything, look a tad brighter and more vibrant than HDR10 but usually there's very little to tell between them.

Profile 7 DV will look very much the same since it is simply an HDR10 signal with added metadata which although can make quite a difference, is generally a rather subtle effect.

Profile 5 is a completely different colour space and so will look rather dull and grey if not processed correctly.

Certainly there shouldn't be black clipping - using test patterns, VS10 will resolve to black correctly.

It's interesting that Player Led vs TV Led didn't make a difference - if it was the player at fault I'd expect there to be differences there simply because of the way the Dolby Vision signal is processed in each case.

The Zidoo video settings make little difference to DV since it will use YUV 4:2:2 12-bit for player led and RGB 8-bit for TV led regardless of the settings.

I know it's difficult to see when you take pictures, but it'd be interesting to see what you mean...

15. Oldpainless

Thanks Mark,

I'll get screenshots up soon, but here's the mediainfo of two files that stand out:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
    Codec ID : dvhe
    Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
    Duration : 2 h 1 min
    Bit rate : 24.5 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.123
    Stream size : 20.8 GiB (98%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Encoded date : UTC 2021-10-04 05:11:42
    Tagged date : UTC 2021-10-04 05:24:00
    Codec configuration box : hvcC+dvcC

And:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 1 h 58 min
    Bit rate : 5 762 kb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 632 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.038
    Stream size : 4.77 GiB (90%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
    Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
    Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 346 cd/m2

It's interesting that the TV's internal player process's the image (from what looks like to my eyes, much more accurately) compared to the Zidoo.

16. Markswift2003

Nothing odd there, but then I wouldn't expect to see anything odd.

The first file is Profile 5 DV and presumably professionally encoded. The second is Profile 8 and almost certainly not!

Profile 8 files in the wild tend to be Profile 7 files where the enhancement layer has been stripped away (which makes no difference for the Zidoo) and the RPU stitched back onto the HDR10 base layer.

One point to note with that file is that it is cropped and if that isn't taken into account when the RPU is stitched back, levels can be wrong because the APL of the frame is different without the black bars encoded in and that has to accounted for in the metadata in the RPU. So it depends who did it and whether they knew what they were doing!!

Currently, in order for a Profile 5 Dolby Vision file to be played back correctly in Dolby Vision, HDR must not be set to Auto. As noted recently there is a bug in current firmware where the VS10 engine must be invoked explicity for Profile 5 to play correctly (eg "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for DV content)". This has been fixed and that fix is in the next firmware.

So change HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for DV content)" and see what that does for the Profile 5 file.

As for the Profile 8 file, try changing the EDID to #3 Samsung-QA55Q60... which is HDR10/10+ only and change HDR to Auto - this should play back just the HDR10 base layer without metadata, in HDR10 using VS10 - just for interest really.

Final thing to try is to set HDR to "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV.....)" and see what that does - you'll have to switch off Custom EDID of course to make this option available.

17. Oldpainless

Thanks Mark, will take up your recommendations and test tomorrow, and report back.

Edit - here are 3 pics of the DV profile 5 film.

Zidoo settings with HDR set to VS10 for DV, player led (it doesn't say VS10 onscreen though?)

zidoo settings.JPG

Here's pic of the zidoo at 1.07
    zidoo 107.JPG

And here is a pic the file cast to the TV internal player at 1.07

tv 107.JPG

As you can see, the difference is very noticeable....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  18. Oldpainless

So, perhaps even though the player has been set to HDR Vs10 for DV content, maybe on the 1000pro with the last firmware it is not invoked?

Is there any merit to add the option to force ALL DV content to be able to use the VS10 engine? Might also be of help with some of the "wild profile 8" content (I mean DV out, not mapped to HDR using the VS10 engine...I also tried the LLDV option, and it looked the same to me).

Both the profile 8 and 5 look good when played on the TV's internal player, so it would seem something is amiss?

19. Markswift2003

No, the player is reporting correctly - DV always utilises the VS10 engine - it has to - there's no other way for Dolby Vision to be processed in the player.

But it will only show VS10 on the info page if VS10 is processing the picture from another HDR format - for example if the source is HDR10 and output is Dolby Vision, the info page will show DV VS10. When it just shows DV on its own that means it's native Dolby Vision.

The problem with current firmware is that HDR "Auto" does not use VS10 for Profile 5 so I think it just goes through the Realtek engine as HDR10 which is problematic at best. As I say, next firmware fixes this.

I have to admit it's difficult to see much of a difference between the two images above but then taking pictures never really shows the true extent of such differences.

I'd definitely expect to see a difference between two separately manufactured Dolby players because although Dolby would say that shouldn't happen, but in the real world, different players from different manufacturers will always produce different results.

I'm not sure what to suggest here because in my experience, Dolby Vision is clear and vibrant and in fact I have both my day to day players set to output LLDV permanently so all content is converted to Dolby Vision by VS10. That, and a combination of setting the GUI resolution and framerate to 4K23 means I get a great picture with very few HDMI resyncs (only resyncs if the source framerate isn't 23.976Hz).

As I said earlier, the key here is that you say Player Led and TV Led produce the same undesirable effect and that shouldn't really happen.

With Player Led, the player is processing the Dolby Vision signal and outputting what is essentially exactly the same as a static tone mapped HDR10 signal so the TV only has to process it the same way it would for HDR10 (which is the whole point of Player Led) but TV Led essentially sends out a raw Dolby Vision signal and that is brought together at the TV and not the player - so the player has very little, if any, say in what that picture looks like - all the processing is in the TV. If the player was doing something bad to the Player Led signal I definitely wouldn't expect that to be carried over the a TV Led signal.

xskip and vddan like this.
  20. Oldpainless

Ok, thanks Mark. Guess I'll just have to continue to dig. But, now you mention it, the zidoo is grey and flat, compared to the TV player, so not sure either.

Maybe the next firmware will resolve the issue for me.