Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. muha

muha Active Member

DTS-CD even single track with cue will not be gapless.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Of course it does on a Dune (but not with the Zidoo due to a very nasty bug). My DTS-CD's with a single WAV file plus a CUE sheet play gapless as they should with Dune and the CUE sheet does its job for title display and selection.

muha likes this.
  3. muha

muha Active Member

Sorry I was referring to Zidoo.

4. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

As long as you get the right player, it is a relatively simple process to rip SACDs.
    https://gist.github.com/willsthompson/a4ececdee9cbc4e369eb923e136a8243
    It is one of my favorite albums. 2L is one of the few companies which record music as MCH, and you can now buy them online as files. Note that 2L is not for the traditionalist because they place instruments around the listener.

Unfortunately, much of the MCH music online e.g. Tidal, is electronically processed. Good MCH muic is either produced or recorded as multi channel. For a list of good MCH music, please have a look at
    https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm
    Unfortunately, most of these are discs and there are more SACDs than BDs.
    Zidoo has a problem with a few non-standard BD menu of MCH music, and for a small number, will not play a format correctly e.g. Dolby TrueHD is played as Dolby Digital. I suspect that MCH music is a very low priority for Zidoo, and MCH SACD playback will not happen.

Mark Boddy, Nice Monkey and muha like this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice MCH overview. Did not know that site but have various very nice albums from those lists.

It is amazing indeed how relative few material exist at all. MCH Music isn't very popular but admitted it requires a very special audio setup.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Mark Boddy and Snoopy8 like this.
  6. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

It takes effort to produce a good MCH recording and there are not many people with the skills to do it nicely. Steve Wilson is one of the best producers.

Not a big market but many of those people are on QuadraphonicQuad (QQ). As a general guide, anything on QQ with a score of 9 or more is good.

There is no need for an expensive audio setup to do MCH well (but I do know someone using four B&W 802 speakers!!!!). You already know that using identical speakers is the best for MCH. A good AVR with room correction like Dirac Live or Anthem Room Correction also helps. So, if you apply those 2 suggestions, a good home theatre setup can easily do MCH well.

7. Nice Monkey

Using a full set of old B&W CDM-NT series including the ASW-CDM subwoofer myself now. Honestly all bought used pair by pair. Being in Dark Cherry not that easy to find specifically that matching sub. Came from B&W 68x series before that.

Snoopy8 likes this.
  8. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Am using Arcam AVR550, Monitor Audio Apex speakers and dual SVS subs. Most of it is bought used.

For the purist MCH person who likes quad recordings, it should be 4 identical full range speakers, no sub. Not going there, my setup is enough for my needs.

9. muha

muha Active Member

This summer I had taken a break and devoted my time in setting up sound in my living room. What I noticed is that speakers that don't go below 80Hz (or 70Hz) are no good for music. Even in combination with front speakers that go below 35Hz. Subwoofer is not enough. My set is simple - I use two Magnat HiFi speakers in combination with Canton surround set. Good thing is that they are all in almost same range. Since I use Denon AVR - Audyssey does great job for cinema but I had to manualy adjust preset for music. I love music but I am not audiophile- just recently I have ripped my CD collection to flac. For last 2-3 months I have been enjoying combination of Z10Pro with my setup in 5.1. In general I am really happy with Z10Pro and as everyone else I think that MP should be revamped. And I am really happy with community on this forum, apart from few annoying people rest of members bring always something new to the table. Good thing I discovered ignore button. Overall I am satisfied with getting Z10Pro and Zidoo community. It's beautiful morning an I hade to share this feeling. Cheers

Snoopy8 and Gelto like this.
  10. Nice Monkey

@muha
    I think I can indirectly confirm this. Moved my side speakers from CDM NT1 (on stands) to CDM NT7 (full range) and that indeed improved sound clearly for MCH Music. The NT1 is quoted at 60 Hz.

Stopped using physical discs totally when I got my Egreat's which must be 6 years ago or something. Only for SACD and DVD-Audio this was much later till I got my OPPO 203 replacing my Pioneer BD-LX55.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    muha likes this.
  11. Gelto

Gelto Member

Thanks for sharing, it's good to read some relaxed thoughts in stressful times. I also use my good old Magnat Hifi speakers (All Ribbon 8 P-II) that never let me down soundwise through all these years ;) in conjunction with ELAC surrounds and center. Suits me well for both music and movies. I agree that Zidoo's Music Player needs a makeover both optically and technically, I'd love to see MCH SACDs and DVD-As supported soon.
    Have a nice day, guys!

muha likes this.
  12. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Audyssey is good with movies but is known to be not as good with music. If you upgrade, suggest getting an AVR with Dirac Live or Anthem Room Correction.

muha likes this.
  13. muha

muha Active Member

Thanks for the advice, but right now I am happy where I am at. Only planning to add two 80W ceiling speakers (I have drop ceiling) and I need to built wall/stand for revolving screen - I use projectors when watching movies. I just moved to new apartment (2 years ago).
    And I don´t find Audyssey bad for music - just some things must be manually adjust to your liking.
    In same distant future I am thinking of building reading room at my country house where I will try to implement some of audiophile mathematics.

Snoopy8 likes this.
  14. ATROX

ATROX New Member

As time goes on, DSD via HDMI has not appeared. It's a pity. Any plans?
    I would also like to have audio_output_policy.xml, audio_io_policy.xml, audio_policy.xml in the .conf format. Then other players (third-party) would be able to work correctly.

15. Nice Monkey

Can you explain this one a bit more in detail please.

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

And why do you say this? I am keen to understand why DSD via HDMI is preferable than DSD via USB

17. ATROX

ATROX New Member

DSD -> HDMI -> Receiver
    My receiver understands DSD, why should I convert it with an external DAC and send an analogue to the amplifier? I already have a DAC in my receiver.

18. ATROX

ATROX New Member

I love the third party player, poweramp.
    It reads configuration files in the .conf format.
    And he does not understand the format .xml, so there is no Hi-Res.
    In Zidoo of the sound output parameters are described in this format (.xml).

19. Nice Monkey

Not all DAC's are build equal and yes one hear the quality differences clearly. But quality DAC's are not known for being cheap so most are 2CH only.
    Also all HiFi media players add only a (very) good 2CH DAC never MCH. For those like me who also like MCH Music then it is back to using the MCH DAC build-in into the AMP.

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I agree with @Nice Monkey - apart from listening to MCH. I haven't updated my thread here in ages: -

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/zidoo-z1000-pro-–-my-high-definition-audio-experience-so-far.86239/page-5#post-164555

I've just been too busy. I have since replaced the DAC that I had been playing with along with the ISO REGEN and Linear PSU with the infamous Gustard DAC- X16. A remarkable piece of kit! I shall get round to updating soon.